So this happened....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

So this happened....

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So I bumped into a tray table and my Native fell off the edge of the table and onto a lamp cord. It made an impressive spark and did this to my edge :(
^the second pick is after I sharpened most of the damage out. Pretty bummed about the damage. Oh well it still cuts, just not as pretty.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ladybug93

Re: So this happened....

Post by ladybug93 »

did you almost start a fire with your fireman version of the native salt? ;)

sorry about your blade, but i’m glad you were able to clean it up a bit. at least you can use it worry free now.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:26 pm

sorry about your blade, but i’m glad you were able to clean it up a bit. at least you can use it worry free now.
I did! Made a micro fire ball. I wonder if it messed with the heat treat in that spot? It melted the tooth of the serration.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:34 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:26 pm

I did! Made a micro fire ball. I wonder if it messed with the heat treat in that spot? It melted the tooth of the serration.
yikes! i’m glad everyone is okay.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Dang. Sorry about the blade.
Glad your still with us to tell the tale.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

SF Native wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:52 pm
Dang. Sorry about the blade.
Glad your still with us to tell the tale.
:D thanks, it wasnt that dramatic. Although if it had been on carpet instead of hardwood it might have caused an "incident". I am a little sad about damaging a rare Spydie though, but it IS a user (I just used it gently).

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sorry to see Matt!

I figure the knife's a bit of a favourite so I've got half an idea about how you feel mate.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wow Matt, very sorry to see that. I know it must be one of your favorites too as you seem to carry such a rare knife quite regularly. That is quite a freak accident that you probably couldn't duplicate again if you tried. You did a pretty good job with sharpening it though!

If it makes you feel any better, at least your freak accident didn't result in an injury...like a coworker of mine that was indirectly struck by lightning over the weekend! He was at his in-laws camp in the Adirondacks with his wife, 3 daughters and her parents. He was grilling on the deck during a storm and apparently ran out to grab the food off the grill, everyone watching and laughing at him getting drenched. Apparently lightning struck a metal clothes hanger outside on the deck and somehow traveled to/through him and out his foot. His arm is burnt pretty bad and foot is all blistered and burnt as well, where it exited his body. He's going to be ok, but will be out of work for a couple weeks. What a terrible thing for everyone to witness, especially his 3 young daughters.

Seems like your situation could have been worse, as freak of an accident as it already was!
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Wed May 29, 2019 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ferider

Post by ferider »

Sorry, Matt, glad nobody got hurt ...

Maybe this can help ? For the larger Spydie serrations, I'm using a ceramic honer now - bought on ebay - that fits really well. I find it easier to use than the typically much thinner diamond sticks. This honer has useful rough and smooth sides, hope you can see in the photo:

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That is crazy. You probably couldn't do it again on purpose.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Glad you ok.I think it gives character to the blade and without ruining it and you have a cool story...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Yowza! This $hit only happens on knife forums! Who else keeps their knives that sharp!? What a freak occurrence too-- hard to anticipate that one! :eek: And funny coincidence/ irony that Ladybug pointed out!

Matt, glad you're OK, no real fire, and the knife isn't totalled.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Crazy... reinforces my own observations. Knives don’t get damaged if they stay either in your hand or in your pocket. The only time freak things have happened to me was when I set it down and bumped it or forgot I’d rested it in my lap and stood up. That’s how I stepped on my M4 para3!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Unbelievable! Glad you're ok.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think this is a rare occurrence where a ceramic blade would have been better than a steel blade. :eek: Crazy!

I try to never set a knife down while open or unsheathed. That is when most accidents happen. I have learned this while camping and gardening more than once. I set a 22oz Bowie knife on a log once and it slid off and landed tip first on my foot and I was only wearing socks and sandals. If the tip didn’t stick into a bone it probably would have gone through my foot.

Thanks for sharing!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm working on a rod/stone holder for my Hapstone V7 that will hold triangle stones. If all goes as planned you should be able to use either the flat side or the pointed side. I imagine it would be useful for reprofiling serrations and fixing damage like that. I'm honestly not sure since I haven't played around with serrations much. If it works (and it should) I don't see any reason I can't adapt for other systems like Edge Pro & KME.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's absolutely crazy 😱. I'm glad no one got hurt and you could clean up that edge.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks for the kind words all :)

Yes, it is a favorite, and I carry it a lot.

I had just used it to cut up a bunch of fruit, cheese, and meat for a friend and I, and set it on a tray table to watch tv. Used it to cut the strawberries and spread peanutbutter, got through the whole snack without incident. It was open because it was covered with food. I got up to get something and bumped the table, off it went :(

I have a diamond needle file for the kme, but even if I reprofile the damage, it will either still have two short serrations, or the other option shorten all of them. I think I'll just use it as is. I sharpened the damage out enough to put an edge back on it, that's all that matters.

I will keep using it :D it may be rare, but the real tragedy would have been keeping it in a box.

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 am
Thanks for the kind words all :)

Yes, it is a favorite, and I carry it a lot.

I had just used it to cut up a bunch of fruit, cheese, and meat for a friend and I, and set it on a tray table to watch tv. Used it to cut the strawberries and spread peanutbutter, got through the whole snack without incident. It was open because it was covered with food. I got up to get something and bumped the table, off it went :(

I have a diamond needle file for the kme, but even if I reprofile the damage, it will either still have two short serrations, or the other option shorten all of them. I think I'll just use it as is. I sharpened the damage out enough to put an edge back on it, that's all that matters.

I will keep using it :D it may be rare, but the real tragedy would have been keeping it in a box.
Indeed. Knives that never live outside the confines of their box have sad sheltered lives.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Man sorry to hear this Matt! Nasty thing to happen to a knife. :(
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"