What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:15 am
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 am
Colonel David Hackworth's excellent book about the post WW2, Korean War and Vietnam military book "About Face" is by my bed.

Stephen Reichlen's books on cooking BBQ are by my chair. (working on a new rub recipe)

Books on meditation, yoga, physical conditioning and others are in my hospital "go" bag. ) I spend too much time there.
I don’t know whether you would be particularly interested, but some books on the pre-Vietnam French IndoChina war I’ve found fascinating are Street Without Joy, **** in a Very Small Place (about Dien Bien Phu) and a first hand para’s account Operation Waste.

I’ve just started Iyengar Yoga and slightly astonished how much positive effect it has had over just a few weeks.
You all might be interested in the book The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang. You will not forget it, I promise.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:54 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 am
Colonel David Hackworth's excellent book about the post WW2, Korean War and Vietnam military book "About Face" is by my bed.

Stephen Reichlen's books on cooking BBQ are by my chair. (working on a new rub recipe)

Books on meditation, yoga, physical conditioning and others are in my hospital "go" bag. ) I spend too much time there.
I don’t know whether you would be particularly interested, but some books on the pre-Vietnam French IndoChina war I’ve found fascinating are Street Without Joy, **** in a Very Small Place (about Dien Bien Phu) and a first hand para’s account Operation Waste.

I’ve just started Iyengar Yoga and slightly astonished how much positive effect it has had over just a few weeks.
You all might be interested in the book The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang. You will not forget it, I promise.
Thanks for the recommendation - I’ll put it on my list. After The Reich is an another eye-opener. I’m currently reading Dispatches, but like touring battlefields and war cemeteries, I find I have to meter my reading on these topics to avoid becoming gloomy.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This note on my desk...over and over again :D

*That is 12:00 Eastern time*
BIoiNBBh.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:14 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:57 am
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:09 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

Thank you for the recommendation but I've read all those also... several times actually. I've read About Face at least 8 times over the years. Military history is a serious hobby of mine these days. I'm always haunting used book stores looking for old books.
I’d certainly be very interested in your top recommendations.

One obscure book on French military history I found was For Honour Alone, about how the cadets of the Saumur cavalry school took on an armoured division on the Loire with just their training weapons - after the official surrender.

I’m sure you must have read A Savage War of Peace by Alistair Horne about Algeria.
You must read “Dispatches” by Michael Herr. It is the real deal.

Visceral, and worthy of it’s accolades. The pervading sense of madness is quite haunting.

I have a photography book called Requiem, pictures taken of the Vietnam war by journalists killed there. Dispatches also puts that into a new and even more powerful context.

Thank you for the recommendation.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

You are welcome.

For those who haven’t read it, Herr relates this Marine story:

But what a story he told me, as one-pointed and resonant as any war story I ever heard, it took me a year to understand it: “Patrol went up the mountain. One man came back. He died before he could tell us what happened.”
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival, T.S. Wiley, Bent Formby (2000). The second best book on sleep I've recently read (#1 Dr. Mathew Walker's Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams (2017)).

introduction page 1

introduction page 2 & 3

Top reads so far this year:

01 Beartown (Bjornstad #1) by Fredrik Backman, Neil Smith (Translator) 2016
02 Pachinko, Min Jin Lee 2017
03 Saturday, Ian McEwan 2006
04 Spearhead: An American Tank Gunner, His Enemy, and a Collision of Lives In World War II, Adam Makos 2019
05 Victim Without a Face (Fabian Risk, #1), Stefan Ahnhem Rachel Willson-Broyles 2014
06 Where'd You Go, Bernadette, Maria Semple 2012
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

“The War Before the War” (subtitled “Fugitive Slaves and the Struggle for America’s Soul from the Revolution to the Civil War”) by Andrew Delbanco. Lively, and heart-wrenching.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Gettysburg, A Testing of Courage by Noah André Trudeau
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
James Y

Post by James Y »

Recently finished The Family by Ed Sanders.

Other recent reads include:

Mount Shasta's Forgotten History & Legends by D.W. Naef.

Policing Saigon by Loren W. Christensen

On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Missing 411: L.A.W. by David Paulides

Nessie by Nick Redfern

Simple Dreams by Linda Ronstadt

Just started on Tinseltown by William J. Mann.

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Holy Bible, The Old Testament
Samuel 1 & 2
Kings 1 & 2
Love reading about King David, Solomon, and the prohets Elijah & Elisha
Then, its off to the New Testament.
I read the Bible as much as I can.
Also, there was actually a Grisham book that I haven't read.
It is Runaway Jury. I'm about halfway thru. Very good as usual from John Grisham.
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

Willa Cather - One of Ours. It is an excellent WWI book that won a Pulitzer Prize.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

What would the nuns say ? :eek:

The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot: A New Look at Betrayer and Betrayed
by Bart D. Ehrman
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:40 am
Recently finished The Family by Ed Sanders.

Other recent reads include:

Mount Shasta's Forgotten History & Legends by D.W. Naef.

Policing Saigon by Loren W. Christensen

On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Missing 411: L.A.W. by David Paulides

Nessie by Nick Redfern

Simple Dreams by Linda Ronstadt

Just started on Tinseltown by William J. Mann.

Jim
That first title that Jim just mentioned i.e. "THE FAMILY" By Ed Sanders is one that is really close to my heart. Because for many years I've had a morbid curiosity about the 'MANSON FAMILY" and all of the surrounding details that few of the public were ever aware of.

Believe it or not the author Ed Sanders grew up in my original home town and the one I'm currently living in now known as Blue Springs, Missouri ( Kansas City suburb). Now Ed Sanders was my older Brother's age ( about 9 years older than me) and they attended Blue Springs high school together. And Ed was even a year older than my big Brother. But my Brother knew his younger brother very well who went by the nickname "Fearless" Sanders. Ed Sanders also was the leader of a well known 60s/70s rock group known as "The Fugs" who were on Reprise records ( The same label as Frank Sinatra & Jimi Hendrix :eek: )

Ed Sanders actually infiltrated the Manson Family while the main players of Manson's group were involved in the big Manson Family trial in the late 60s and early 70s. He was able to obtain a lot of sensitive information of the crime from the other members of the Family ( there were many involved). If you all like "true crime" type books then I highly recommend this book "The Family by Ed Sanders" because it's about the most accurate book out there giving an account of probably still to this day the most gruesome crime in modern American history i.e. The Charles Manson Family. Ed Sanders also has a few Youtube videos he did with Doris Tate ( Sharon Tate's mother) and they later became great friends. I think Brother Jim will attest to the fact that it is one of the best books of the Manson Family from a first hand account.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Recently finished Midnight's Furies - https://www.amazon.com/Midnights-Furies ... 0544705394 Great overview of the 1947 partition and the context surrounding it.

Now I've moved West to the ME - https://www.amazon.com/Concise-History- ... 0813350913

Also picked up a copy of the Quran to study. I had been reading some interesting facts about it and figured I ought to leaf through the book itself.....well at least a translation of its message.

Some interesting things I've learned about it so far:

- The translations are not considered the Quran. Only the original Arabic version is considered "official"
- Unlike The Bible, which had hundreds of years between the life of Jesus and scriptures being written down, the Quran was written down while Muhammed lived.
- However, the Suras were not compiled into a book until after he had died, and from what I've read some Suras did not make the cut, similar to Biblical Apocrypha
- Muhammed is presented not as the only authorative prophet of God, but the last in a long line of revered prophets, including Adam, Noah, Moses and Jesus, the latter of which is heavily quoted in the Quran.
- There used to be multiple versions of the Quran, then the third Caliph, Uthman ibn Affan, got rid of them all in favor of the version based on the original dialect the passages were revealed in.
- However, today there are a variety of versions being used across the world, which contradicts the message that many Islamic websites give that the Quran only has one version that has remained unchaged since it was written down thanks to the will of Allah.
- Christians and Jews are considered fellow "People of the Book" and are to be given respect and protection.
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The first Gospel came about 40 years after the death of Jesus Christ, The Gospel of Mark. - Not hundreds of years. That info is false.
Also, Jesus Christ was not a prophet. He is the Son of the Living God. He is God.
I know your just telling us what you've learned, but this is for people that may not know what the Holy Bible says.
vivi

Post by vivi »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:17 am
The first Gospel came about 40 years after the death of Jesus Christ, The Gospel of Mark. - Not hundreds of years. That info is false.
Also, Jesus Christ was not a prophet. He is the Son of the Living God. He is God.
I know your just telling us what you've learned, but this is for people that may not know what the Holy Bible says.
40 years after the death of Jesus is accurate for Mark, but not for all of the New Testament.

That reminds me of something else the Quran says. That God is God, and no one else is. No Holy Spirit, and Jesus is, according the Quran, a prophet and not God. From what I've gathered Muslims view that as one of the errors of Christian teachings.

Regardless, I view all religions from the perspective an an Atheist academic. I'm more interested in comparing and contrasting abrahamic religions than I am debating theology.

On that note, Rastafarians have an interesting legend regarding the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon.
:unicorn
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:17 am
I'd imagine there's no doubt that's what the bible is saying. Back in the day, though, there were a lot of different versions of early Christianity. The winners can be found in Vatican City these days and the rest are history. The Gospel of John was written around 90 - 110 CE and that gospel was the basis for Jesus as full fledged God.

This stuff is great to read about. They did some great arguing over the details of how the whole "god/man" thing worked.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

but what are you reading?
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

started The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane, Lisa See 2017 yesterday. page turner.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

shunsui wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:46 pm
What would the nuns say ? :eek:

The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot: A New Look at Betrayer and Betrayed
by Bart D. Ehrman
Excellent, as are all of Ehrman’s works.

In that general vein, check out The Q Fragments, Michael Douglas Scott, available on Amazon.

Team Innovation