Spydiechef (lc200n) performance thread.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mrtodd777

Re: Spydiechef (lc200n) performance thread.

Post by mrtodd777 »

I have been using the Spydiechef almost daily now for outdoor cooking/food prep, as well as light duty every day cutting chores. I am really liking this steel. I havent had the need to touch it up on the Sharpmaker at all, and I think I have only lightly stropped it once. The Ergo's of the knife are just right for my uses. This bad boy is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

here are some slow smoked char siu baby back ribs I made this weekend. I know my Texas buddies would kill me since its not technically "Texas Q" but I was in the mood for Chinese. I love this Cantonese recipe. When my wife tasted it, she referred to it as "pig candy". All prep, and carving was done with the spydiechef.

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So I did a little corrosion test. About 2 weeks ago I had BBQ, man was it good, really tangy BBQ sauce, lots of vinegar. I used my LC200N native as my table knife, and then... I left it dirty and caked with BBQ sauce and pieces of meat until today. Thing was starting to collect cat fur :eek: any non stainless would have been pitted rusted and wrecked after 2 weeks of caked on vinegar heavy bbq sauce. 60 seconds of soap and hot water later, (and a drop of oil for the pivot) the knifes good as new, no discoloration of the edge or design on the blade. I'm very impressed with the LC200N native.
zmess.jpg
zmess2.jpg
zmess3.jpg
zmess4.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
zzen321

Post by zzen321 »

Does the spyder hole work for left handed carry?

I have the advocate, and the spyder hole sort of works. But that also has a flipper, so it's not a deal breaker.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I’m on the fence with this one for my last 2017 purchase before the MAP change. Overall it seems to have pretty positive reviews. I don’t use folders for cutting food, however this looks like it can be a nice EDC.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

It does well as an edc blade, and I don’t believe it would be very left handed friendly..
Josh
zzen321

Post by zzen321 »

murphjd25 wrote:It does well as an edc blade, and I don’t believe it would be very left handed friendly..
Thank you. I was at BladeHQ, and guess I'll have to wait for the "Waterway". Curtesy of TS.

Or maybe a mule.
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

Hm. Sorry for kinda necrothreading this...

Doesn't a regrind like this change the flicking action noticably? You're taking away mass from the end of the blade so it might, I guess.
I really like the looks of it and would consider going the same route if it didn't change the action...