New micrographs of 42 knife steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larrin

New micrographs of 42 knife steels

Post by Larrin »

I polished up and etched a whole bunch of different knife steels and took micrographs of them, including many that have been used in Spyderco knives, of course. I show the differences between steels on a microstructure level and explain how the carbide structures contribute to the properties found in different steels. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/05/26/ ... fe-steels/
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Enactive

Re: New micrographs of 42 knife steels

Post by Enactive »

Very cool, Larrin! Thanks so much for doing this work and for sharing it so generously.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Enactive wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:53 am
Very cool, Larrin!
Thanks!
AshK

Post by AshK »

Great work thanks mate. Your site is helping me learn a lot.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thanks, Larrin. What do you say to this? Someone once told me (an engineer) that when he looks at micrographs of steel, what interests him the most are the tiny needles such as the iron whiskers. He said if mankind learned to cheaply mass produce those they would be better materials for knife blades than the actual steel they are found in.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:23 pm
Thanks, Larrin. What do you say to this? Someone once told me (an engineer) that when he looks at micrographs of steel, what interests him the most are the tiny needles such as the iron whiskers. He said if mankind learned to cheaply mass produce those they would be better materials for knife blades than the actual steel they are found in.
You asked me about iron whiskers once before: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82271&p=1290884&hil ... s#p1290884

The problem with whiskers is the bigger they are the worse their properties are. It's not theoretically possible to make them behave otherwise as far as I know.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Larrin I know it's not a knife steel so maybe you don't feel like you can cover it but I've recently learned of SX500 Superalloy and how they keep part of the metal molten while part is cooled so they can grow it all into one crystal. Would really like to know more about this stuff I think it's got a lot of Be in it. EIther way thanks for your posts, I enjoy supporting you through patreon and getting all the articles early. Thanks for all your work
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Blades

Post by Blades »

Very cool!
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

koenigsegg wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:51 pm
Larrin I know it's not a knife steel so maybe you don't feel like you can cover it but I've recently learned of SX500 Superalloy and how they keep part of the metal molten while part is cooled so they can grow it all into one crystal. Would really like to know more about this stuff I think it's got a lot of Be in it. EIther way thanks for your posts, I enjoy supporting you through patreon and getting all the articles early. Thanks for all your work
I’m not a superalloys expert. I don’t have any and it probably requires a different etchant. It would be better to look for journal articles on the material.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Larrin wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:21 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:51 pm
I’m not a superalloys expert. I don’t have any and it probably requires a different etchant. It would be better to look for journal articles on the material.
OK sorry

DIdn't really mean to etch it just curious about it but I will look else where
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

There is no need to apologize. You can't see the microstructure without etching.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Thanks for the hard work and the link.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks Larrin, I really appreciate your work and your willingness to share!

Do you have any estimate of carbide volume percentage for Maxamet?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:48 pm

I will do the point counting tomorrow if I remember. It’s a pretty simple procedure. Look up point counting and you can even try it yourself.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Larrin wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:12 pm
There is no need to apologize. You can't see the microstructure without etching.
Yes, what I meant was me bringing up the steel wasn't about etching or making micro graphs I just thought maybe you could cover the steel in an article that's all I was asking but like I said no worries you don't seem to want to explore it
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Larrin wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:01 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:48 pm

I will do the point counting tomorrow if I remember. It’s a pretty simple procedure. Look up point counting and you can even try it yourself.

Done. :cool:

Using your micrograph (and a sheet of graph paper), I calculate it to 34.55% carbide volume.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:53 pm

Using your micrograph (and a sheet of graph paper), I calculate it to 34.55% carbide volume.
Sounds a little high since Rex 121 was only 32% based on my point counting. I will see what I get tomorrow. Did you remember to count boundaries as 1/2 instead of 1?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Very interesting!

As always Larrin, many thanks for posting. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Larrin wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:06 pm
The Meat man wrote:

Sounds a little high since Rex 121 was only 32% based on my point counting. I will see what I get tomorrow. Did you remember to count boundaries as 1/2 instead of 1?

No, the article I read on point counting didn't mention that. That would probably account for the high estimate.
- Connor

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Hey Connor, could you please check for any whiskers too? ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin