Spydercos best "bang-for-the-buck" - knife?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonijedi

Re: Spydercos best "bang-for-the-buck" - knife?!

Post by tonijedi »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:05 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:35 pm
For me all Spydercos are luxury goods. I can't justify the price on any of them based on performance. The exception may be the Salt line, which has in fact some amazing work knives that won't corrode.
I can justify Byrd prices for good, reliable and well designed pocket knives but enter Spyderco line and the gap is too big to justify. YMMV as the difference between the prices may not seem so much on your "economic environment".
I feel a bit different: For me the quality of many of the genuine Spyderco line knives (for example my choices when I started the thread, Endura and Chap lw) totally justifies their prices easily. They are really not expensive for what you get.
Now you might maybe think I am just a bit of a "fanboy" and just "adding my voice to the choir" but in all honesty: No, that's not the case.
Why? Cause I am one of the (probably rare???) examples who got into Spyderco without basically knowing anything about background, community, philosophy behind, line up and so on. I began to use Spyderco knives rather by happenstance, even thought they'd look a bit weired and not like a "real knife" should. But really, just by using and experiencing those knives I got convinced by the quality concerning design, ergos, usability, fit and finish that you really get for your money. Especially compared to other brands I knew.
The interest in Spydercos background and to realize how many more people feel similar came only very later.

Btw: I'm European, so I also have to pay around 25 to 30 % (I guess) more than in the US. But maybe the general income in my country is higher than in yours? (Don't know where you live).
I'm European too, from Portugal. The wages here are much lower, it's hard to justify a 100€ knife from a practical point of view. Like you I was introduced to Spyderco just by trying a Delica, not knowing anything about this culture (and cult) that comes with it. Have you tried well built cheaper knives like the Byrd line? I have a Meadowlark that stays in Hungary for when I go there (my wife is Hungarian) and I happen to like it a lot. I prefer the Delica but when you're cutting something and not really analyzing what's going on you may not feel a difference (even though the Meadowlark has a choil).
A Delica costs 18 bottles of good wine.
A Native Salt costs 5 dinners for 2.
A Caribbean costs a week of hotel on the mountains.
A Paysan costs a monthly rent.
They deserve those price tags, they are pieces of innovation, engineering and art. Same goes with a Porsche car or any other product that is innovative. I'm happy I'm a knife guy and can have a candy from time to time, imagine of I liked cars like many guys do ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tonijedi wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:20 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:05 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:35 pm
For me all Spydercos are luxury goods. I can't justify the price on any of them based on performance. The exception may be the Salt line, which has in fact some amazing work knives that won't corrode.
I can justify Byrd prices for good, reliable and well designed pocket knives but enter Spyderco line and the gap is too big to justify. YMMV as the difference between the prices may not seem so much on your "economic environment".
I feel a bit different: For me the quality of many of the genuine Spyderco line knives (for example my choices when I started the thread, Endura and Chap lw) totally justifies their prices easily. They are really not expensive for what you get.
Now you might maybe think I am just a bit of a "fanboy" and just "adding my voice to the choir" but in all honesty: No, that's not the case.
Why? Cause I am one of the (probably rare???) examples who got into Spyderco without basically knowing anything about background, community, philosophy behind, line up and so on. I began to use Spyderco knives rather by happenstance, even thought they'd look a bit weired and not like a "real knife" should. But really, just by using and experiencing those knives I got convinced by the quality concerning design, ergos, usability, fit and finish that you really get for your money. Especially compared to other brands I knew.
The interest in Spydercos background and to realize how many more people feel similar came only very later.

Btw: I'm European, so I also have to pay around 25 to 30 % (I guess) more than in the US. But maybe the general income in my country is higher than in yours? (Don't know where you live).
I'm European too, from Portugal. The wages here are much lower, it's hard to justify a 100€ knife from a practical point of view. Like you I was introduced to Spyderco just by trying a Delica, not knowing anything about this culture (and cult) that comes with it. Have you tried well built cheaper knives like the Byrd line? I have a Meadowlark that stays in Hungary for when I go there (my wife is Hungarian) and I happen to like it a lot. I prefer the Delica but when you're cutting something and not really analyzing what's going on you may not feel a difference (even though the Meadowlark has a choil).
A Delica costs 18 bottles of good wine.
A Native Salt costs 5 dinners for 2.
A Caribbean costs a week of hotel on the mountains.
A Paysan costs a monthly rent.
They deserve those price tags, they are pieces of innovation, engineering and art. Same goes with a Porsche car or any other product that is innovative. I'm happy I'm a knife guy and can have a candy from time to time, imagine of I liked cars like many guys do ;)
Thanks for your reply! Some really good points, well said.
And you are right, I can't compare a Delica to a Meadowlark, never owned a Byrd knife.

I know that wages in Portugal are a lot lower than here in Austria, so sure for you knives are proportionally more expensive than for me.

Man, you should see MY car...;) Bought used, very cheap and beat up... but I own 12 precious Spydercos at the moment. And am a really happy man the way it is...:)

Good night to the very Southwest! (Or are you in Hungary right now?)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Some magazine, maybe it was the "Economist", which I think comes from the UK had a standard of monetary exchange.

I think they called it the "Big Mac index" or something like that, figuring that whatever you had to pay for a McDonalds Big Mac gave a fair indicator of monetary exchange.

All that aside, thinking of what economists call "exchange value" is a great thought exercise. When you go to buy something like a Spyderco Knife, think of what you could be getting instead for the same money. Maybe enough gasoline to go on a trip and do something fun. Not that buying the Spyderco Knife is not the right choice some (or many) times. They say that whenever you say yes to one thing, you are always saying no to other things. At least in a world with limited resources (like the one I live in).

Another line of thought is that I would rather have a few carefully selected really nice things that a lot of sort of nice things. This is ME thinking here, some people are out to collect one of every Para 3, and more power to them. Maybe I should save up and just get a Respect Bowie in 2019 (at $370 USD). Not that that particular knife would be what I would choose, but you get the idea.

The other thing I think about when spending money (if anyone is still listening) is how much I will use an item. Spending a lot for something that will sit in my gun safe is sort of stupid to this way of thinking. Spending the same for something I use and enjoy many hours every day (my prime example is a nice computer monitor) makes a lot more sense. Calculate dollars per hour of use and go for the bargain is this way of thinking. I'm not sure how to figure this for knives where I use them all the time, but have a bunch in rotation and only carry one at a time.

OK, back to my hole........
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I vote for the tenacious for a foreign model, and para 3 lightweight for domestic. My first spydie was my Tenacious. It's been with me for a year and a half now, had the tip broken, I fixed it, and it keeps chugging along without a whimper, no play anywhere, smooth action, tough as nails. I only wish the G10 was as grippy as my golden Spydies!

And the para 3 lightweight is just an excellent, lower cost American made knife! Same action as my G10 para 3, so light I don't even notice I'm carrying it, and impressive steel if all the tests I've seen tell the truth. Can't beat it for the price!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
AshK

Post by AshK »

For my money, it's still the Endura. The sheer versatility and ruggedness of that thing coupled with the lowish price makes it the champ. I say that having owned an original Endura since the mid 90's. I've used it hard and carried it daily for years upon years and it's still ready for more hard work.

Talk about bang for the bucks!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Gb2- come - worth it for m4 alone, let alone an amazing design

Zdp189 models in frn - to me, zdp is still one of the most special steel Spyderco offers - shame I can t sharpen it well enough - the edges I've felt are amazing

Can't believe it took so long for the k2 to sell out - 4"+ of 10v for $150 - only reason I didn't keep mine is I had no use for that big of a folder - if I did more outdoor activities...

The mules - self explanatory
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's what I like to hear! My Endura, along with my Autonomy, are my work knives.
AshK wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:03 pm
For my money, it's still the Endura. The sheer versatility and ruggedness of that thing coupled with the lowish price makes it the champ. I say that having owned an original Endura since the mid 90's. I've used it hard and carried it daily for years upon years and it's still ready for more hard work.

Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

while it’s not my favorite spyderco, the native salt is my number one recommendation for an edc knife. it has similarly great ergonomics to the manix lw, which is my favorite, but it is also maintenance free as a salt model, has screws instead of pins, has a robust lc200n blade (a steel that balances edge holding with ease of sharpening and is rust proof on top of that), and is short enough to be legal in most places.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

AshK wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:03 pm

+1 and it was one of my two choices in my OP too! And the brandnew Endela certainly will be as good in that regard, just for people who find the Endura a bit to large.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Tenacious...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:23 am
Tenacious...
Not sure about that... after starting and reading this thread, I somehow begin to think: If you go "below" the Endura/Delica/Endela-line, probably go "all the way" and the Byrd line (ok, one can discuss if a BYRD knife can be SPYDERCOS best bang for the buck knife technically or not) is the better value than the Tenacious and it´s siblings.

But I have to admit: I never owned a Byrd-knife - nor a Tenacious, so I am not entitled to give a fully valid opinion, just a very theoretical one.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:47 am
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Tenacious...
Not sure about that... after starting and reading this thread, I somehow begin to think: If you go "below" the Endura/Delica/Endela-line, probably go "all the way" and the Byrd line (ok, one can discuss if a BYRD knife can be SPYDERCOS best bang for the buck knife technically or not) is the better value than the Tenacious and it´s siblings.

But I have to admit: I never owned a Byrd-knife - nor a Tenacious, so I am not entitled to give a fully valid opinion, just a very theoretical one.
Try a Cara Cara someday. IMO they have the best handle out of any "Endura" style folder (Cara Cara, Endura 1-4, Pacific Salt...). It's like a Pacific Salt / Endura 3 with a choil and a more comfortably rounded butt. Who doesn't like comfortable, round butts? :D
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:50 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:47 am
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Tenacious...
Try a Cara Cara someday. IMO they have the best handle out of any "Endura" style folder (Cara Cara, Endura 1-4, Pacific Salt...). It's like a Pacific Salt / Endura 3 with a choil and a more comfortably rounded butt. Who doesn't like comfortable, round butts? :D
While we probably can agree on your last point ;), never fully so on the Endura-ergo-thing, I guess... ;)
Endura 4 has real good ergos for me, and I like that it does NOT feature a choil.

That being said: You have already convinced me to try a Cara Cara (not much to hesitate here for that price) and that I quite certainly will like it! And who knows: Maybe it will even make me move in YOUR Endura-ergo-camp a bit more !! :D
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Endela.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:01 am
Endela.
Could very well be. Though I think in some way the byrd-line certainly offers a lot of bang for the buck,if you project the price difference from a Byrd knife to an Endela/ Endura on the many years you'll own a knife normally, the latter give you even more "bang" probably.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Simple my dear Wartstein, ALL OF THEM! :spyder:
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Do we know which Spyderco model is the best seller? I'll vote for that one ... if anyone knows???

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:58 pm
Simple my dear Wartstein, ALL OF THEM! :spyder:
:) in a way you're right, I guess... Probably any single model will be the "best bang for the buck" for someone on this planet, since many factors can"t be really objectified. Sure you can weigh up material- and production costs of knives against each other, but not design aspects, how usefull and comfortable one will find the model, while another person not so much, and so on.

Somehow it would even be interesting to start a thread called "Spydercos WORST (LEAST) bang for the buck knife" to see what people might have to say on this... ;)
Immidiately the "(S30V-)Shaman-discussion" comes to mind: Some think it's by far overpriced, for me (and many others) it's totally worth every cent, when you consider what a high level of design quality and just joy when you use it you get...
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu May 30, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Chappy LW, Polestar, UKPK. Ergonomics,fit and finish etc. are, so far, my best bang for buck Spydies.
The byrd line is often overlooked but are amazing value.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:06 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:01 am
Endela.
Could very well be. Though I think in some way the byrd-line certainly offers a lot of bang for the buck,if you project the price difference from a Byrd knife to an Endela/ Endura on the many years you'll own a knife normally, the latter give you even more "bang" probably.
You probably right,but for me it's like choosing a WV over a Skoda ;)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.