A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Post by steelcity16 »

How about a clipped Jester??? Or any Jester for that matter. A Jester LW Salt in H1 SE and PE with TiCN coated blades/hardware and neon glow in the dark scales??? Sounds like a winner to me! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
40mm

Post by 40mm »

A clipped Manbug, as I've said in the past, would be an instant buy for me. Even a clipped ladybug. Again the clip would be optional! Just like on a Dragonfly so those of you pocket droppers wouldn't have to be bothered with the clip. I've been so happy with my SE H1 Dragonfly that I've talked myself out of grabbing bigger or smaller knives for a while now, but a clipped Man\ladybug would definitely get me to spend some money. Shirt pockets, pants pockets, waistband, bill of your ball cap. It would be so sweet!
P.S I'm happy someone else bumped this thread as I've been thinking about doing it for a while now.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

I'm just looking at Manbug pictures and trying to compare with the clip hole on Dragonfly (don't own a Manbug, since a clip is must have for me).
I cannot resemble how deep does the tip of the blade go, and how close to the hole.
Depth of the two stripe cutouts for clip in DF (I'm looking at my G10 version) look approximately 0.1'' deep.
If the width of the Manbug could take a 2-side cutout next to the hole (I'm talking handle integrity), then only the handle must be either extended a bit (looking at the pics on first page of thread and homemade clipping), or the hole must be moved a bit, with blade closed position taken into consideration.
IMO just a small modification in the handle could bring the product to this.
Design wise, this should be a fairly quick mod, but not sure regarding changing the molds in the factory itself.

Would love to see Manbug clipped anyway.
sal

Post by sal »

We're working on a clip. Have a lot of products in-the-works, so time moves faster than we'd like.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thank you for the update Sal
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Hey Sal! Any updates on clip designs? Ladybug AND Manbug or just one of the models being looked at for clips? Thanks!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I must be weird, I think a clip on a JLM knife is a bit asinine. Part of the appeal to me, is how smooth and unobtrusive it is. Drop it in a pocket and go. I have a standard knife clipped to my pocket, the tiny ones go in the bottom of the pocket for when I need to cut something and be incognito.

I feel the same about the McBee. It's so attractive except for the clip screw holes. Muddied up a nice design.

Now, I understand why they are there. You have to appeal to the market. It's just a shame that the markets thinking is usually irrational.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

7 year old thread and 5 pages of mostly support for this idea... If you think it's asinine maybe start your own thread about how irrational this idea is...
Spydergirl88
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Remember, you can always take the clip off if you don't like it. Adding one is much harder. I don't see any reason to be opposed to the option.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I get his objection to clip screw holes he doesn’t plan to use. 3 sets of superfluous holes are unsightly, but it’s the best way to give the customer the options of tip up/down and l/r.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydergirl88 wrote: 7 year old thread and 5 pages of MOSTLY support for this idea... If you think it's asinine maybe start your own thread about how irrational this idea is...
And the latest updates are from 2 months ago. Your point is invalid. It's not like I'm necroing the thread.

I was just expressing my opinion. This is a current thread about design changes, all input is necessary and relevant to the matter. I'm sure Sal and the team take all viewpoints into consideration when making changes. That's one of the reasons why Spydercos are of such high quality, they listen.

Without differing opinions, growth of knowledge would come to a screeching halt.
Just think, there was once a time when scientists said it was IMPOSSIBLE to surpass the speed of sound. Someone disagreed.
They also knew for a fact that the Earth was flat. Someone disagreed.

Again, I understand why the clips are on the McBees and will possibly be added to the JLMs, the market gets what the market wants. But, I personally don't see the need for a clip that will be the same size as the knife. Especially a knife designed for a keychain.

Sorry if my differing opinion offended you, but that sometimes happens in discussions.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Your opinion does not bother me, calling differing opinions from yours asinine and irrational bothered me. There are thousands of manbugs and ladybugs out there without screw holes for you, enjoy.
Spydergirl88
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

To me, it doesn't sound like they're working on changing the design to add a clip. It sounds like they're working on designing a clip that can be added to the current design.
-Nick :bug-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have to agree here, that in open discourse, with differing opinions, "asinine", and "irrational" are dismissive of the differing opinions you say are so important. Other than the extra holes, pointed out above by Woodpuppy, I can't imagine any disadvantages to adding a clip.
sal

Post by sal »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:51 pm
To me, it doesn't sound like they're working on changing the design to add a clip. It sounds like they're working on designing a clip that can be added to the current design.

Correct.

sal
40mm

Post by 40mm »

SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!
sal wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:35 am
Mushroom wrote:

Correct.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:35 am
Mushroom wrote:

Correct.

sal
Awesome.
Clip on or pop through the key ring hole?

-Thomas Jefferson
Monty

Post by Monty »

I've been lurking for a while but reading this thread I just want to add a +1 of support for buying a couple clip add-ons if they materialize. I'd particularly like one for a dragonfly lanyard hole, the DF is a great size for discreet office edc but the low mounted clip on such a short handle just doesn't make sense.
Last edited by Monty on Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bristlecone pine

Post by Bristlecone pine »

Mr. Glesser,

I love the thought of a clipped ladybug or manbug. Are there any R&D updates on this idea? I have been watching this thread for a long time as a non-member hoping this idea takes off.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Welcome!