Benchmade Bailout - your thoughts?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Meat man

Benchmade Bailout - your thoughts?

Post by The Meat man »

Hi everyone,

This new knife from Benchmade caught my eye the other day:

3.38 inch blade, 0.09" stock, CPM 3V steel. Sounds like a very interesting model. Normally I don't like tantos but this actually doesn't look too bad.
Anyone here have any experience or thoughts on this knife?

Thanks! :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Naperville

Re: Benchmade Bailout - your thoughts?

Post by Naperville »

I considered it. It looks very good with a quick look at the general specs but it is not well thought out.

I'm not a fan of Blade Forums but the complaints abt the low HRC steel is correct, and/or Nick Shabazz but he also hit the nail on the head too. I'll pass on this knife because it's half baked.

If it's supposed to be a hard use knife. Nonetheless it still could be around 60HRC, and it could use liners.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Looks sweet!
Only issue i have is that having owned americanised tanto shaped blades is that they just aren’t quite as useful as something like la drop point or a more traditional Japanese shape.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Naperville wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:50 pm
I considered it. It looks very good with a quick look at the general specs but it is not well thought out.

I'm not a fan of Blade Forums but the complaints abt the low HRC steel is correct, and/or Nick Shabazz but he also hit the nail on the head too. I'll pass on this knife because it's half baked.

If it's supposed to be a hard use knife. Nonetheless it still could be around 60HRC, and it could use liners.

I don't often go over to Blade forums, and I haven't seen any YouTube reviews on it (I plan to later on though.) If I may ask, what is the HRC complaint, and what doesn't Mr Shabazz like about it?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Daveho wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:51 pm
Looks sweet!
Only issue i have is that having owned americanised tanto shaped blades is that they just aren’t quite as useful as something like la drop point or a more traditional Japanese shape.

Yeah I would much prefer a straight curve to the blade. It always seemed to me that tantos offered nothing but more complicated sharpening, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Anyway, it is a nice looking knife; similar, I believe, to the design philosophy of the Bugout, which seems to be very popular.
- Connor

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

3V at 56HRC
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:05 pm
3V at 56HRC

Is that really what they're running at?

I'm no metallurgist, but that does seem pretty low. What would be the optimal 3V HRC?
- Connor

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think most say that 60 is optimal. I think Bark River who uses it a lot tries to run it at 59-60.

I have read that Cold Steel’s 3V has tested at about 61.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Interesting. Thanks for the info BFK!
- Connor

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It caught my eye last month when KnifeCenter had it on their main page. Looked like a pretty good price for a knife comparable to the very popular Bugout, but with a better steel. Then as mentioned, I heard rumblings about the low HRC..which probably wouldn't factor in too much with my typical daily use, but was definitely expecting something higher and felt like it was a bit false advertised. I still don't think it's a bad deal, was just looking forward to something that was the 3V I was expecting, especially in that price range, initially got me a bit excited. So many other options now, it's fallen off my radar.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sun May 26, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Throw liners on it, and make it stout. Up the hardness to 60 to 61, and I'll buy one. Otherwise, I have sooooooooo many knives that I'm looking at, that that knife isn't even on my radar.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

It was verified by Benchmade that they ran it that low intentionally. Could have just used a different steel if they weren't going to ht it right.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I guess the idea of the low HRC was to emphasize toughness?

Sounds like something to try on a fixed blade--not a lightweight folder.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

It's a marketing gimmick.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Saw a video of a guy testing the toughness... The handle broke. No need to use a steel known for its toughness if the handle is just going to snap on you.

Benchmade knives haven't ever appealed to me anyway.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

soc_monki wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:07 am
Saw a video of a guy testing the toughness... The handle broke. No need to use a steel known for its toughness if the handle is just going to snap on you.

Benchmade knives haven't ever appealed to me anyway.

What was he doing with it?
- Connor

Accutron

Post by Accutron »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:38 am
Supersteel Steve did a lateral prying tip test into what looked like pine. I think he had the blade about a half inch into the wood. The handle broke at the forward edge of the diamond milling in the scales, and the blade picked up a permanent bend. The same test broke the tip off a Strider SNG in PSF-27. An Emerson survived the test.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

What accutron said! I personally think that is abuse and wouldn't subject my knives to that, but I guess it's a valid test of a "hard use" folder? Either way, it broke in spectacular fashion, and was quite fun to watch if I may say so!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Accutron wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:25 am
The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:38 am
Supersteel Steve did a lateral prying tip test into what looked like pine. I think he had the blade about a half inch into the wood. The handle broke at the forward edge of the diamond milling in the scales, and the blade picked up a permanent bend. The same test broke the tip off a Strider SNG in PSF-27. An Emerson survived the test.

I wouldn't really expect it to pass a test like that. It's a very lightweight knife with relatively thin blade stock. Going by the manufacturer's specs, I would consider it more a medium duty EDC knife rather than a knife to abuse, despite Benchmade's marketing.

Still, this is good information to know. Thanks for sharing it! I'll definitely be doing some more research before (if ever) buying one.
- Connor

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I may buy one to destroy. Everyone is getting in on this!!!

https://youtu.be/u5GlxcIFs-g?t=2046