V-TOKU 2 Love

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blueblur

Re: V-TOKU 2 Love

Post by blueblur »

I’ve been cutting strawberries with my endura and it will get a nice colorful patina with blues and purples at first and then gradually got darker and darker the more I used it. I’m really happy with this steel and the run overall. The edge retention is fine and it strops back to a super sharp edge.
Berts

Post by Berts »

And I became the owner of the knife. V-Toku2 is beautiful.
Attachments
018Ltn-NQoo.jpg
1.jpg
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I found myself admiring the transition from stainless to carbon steel last night

Joey

Post by Joey »

Looks nice! Gotta have that patina ;) I used mustard on my Dragonfly 2, and I got an uneven pattern that looks nice, but I also like the look of your Endura.
I’ve got a Stretch 2 in v-Toku2 coming in. It has a similar patina done with vinegar. How did you get your patina?
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

This Endura came from the factory second sale this year, you can see the really rough grind lines and the missing bug logo. I ground the spine down to match the Enudra 3 blade profile and reprofiled it to 30 degrees using the sharpmaker and the diamond rods. The patina is from cutting up food, mostly fruit for my daughter.

So far I'm really enjoying the V-Toku2 steel, I find that it gets "sticky sharp" and don't go any further than the brown rods on this one.
Joey

Post by Joey »

All of the grind work looks great, and really makes the endura 4 look better. Nice work!
Oh my gosh, I know. I’ve found I can’t mess up the edge. It always comes out as one of my sharpest knives when I’m done sharpening. I feel some steels just never make it to that level of sharpness, let alone at that speed. It touches up so easily!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I did start to appreciate this steel more after realizing that "stropping" it on the thigh of my jeans was a capable form of keeping it sharp if it wasn't too beat up.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Stoked for the arrival of a V- toku 2 Stretch 2 tomorrow!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

WOW! The V-Toku 2 lives up to the hype on ease of attaining and maintaining a fine edge! Only a little bit of time on the 1000/6000 grit Japanese water stone to get rid of most of the grind lines on the edge and then strop with compound-- Yowza!
Attachments
IMAG2662.jpg
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

How long do you leave mustard on there for patination, please?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Sildani wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:24 pm
How long do you leave mustard on there for patination, please?
I used yellow mustard and a strong white vinegar. I applied only to the carbon steel for about 10 min or so. Experiment and you can always add more.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Dragonfly sat in a white vinegar soaked paper towel for 6 hours. For reference, if anybody was interested in this look.

HmmR892h.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I've been finding that the patina wears out with regular use against cardboard and tape. Anyone else finding this?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You're absolutely right. You can see the tip of mine in the picture above, the patina had worn off a bit from cutting those exact things you mentioned.

-Rick
JS_KnifeNerd

Post by JS_KnifeNerd »

Hey, it's JS_KnifeNerd :spyder:
Would someone kindly teach me about these steels? I would always like to know more about more steels and this sounds like a good learning opportunity. Thank you!!!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JS_KnifeNerd wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:30 pm
Hey, it's JS_KnifeNerd :spyder:
Would someone kindly teach me about these steels? I would always like to know more about more steels and this sounds like a good learning opportunity. Thank you!!!
Hi JS,
Glad to see you posting here more.

I don't know about Vtoku 2, I don't have any myself, but Im sure some of the others will be happy to tell you about it. I know it's a tool steel, so it will be more prone to staining, rusting, or forming a patina. But it should as a trade off have better wear resistance and edge holding than a non tool steel.

If you want to learn more about steels in general... that will take some time. There is a lot to cover. First there is the actual ingredients of the steel (carbon, iorn, chromium, vanadium, etc...), then there is how it's heat treated, Hardness, Tempering, then there is the geometry of the blade itself.

All of these things are a factor in the steels performance. Bearing that in mind, some steels are tougher than others, some hold a sharp edge longer, some are more resistant to impact, some have higher wear resistance, some are more stainless than others, some have high carbide volume....... and usually a steel that is good at one thing will be weak in another area, it's all trade offs.

I'd really recommend checking out Larrins Knife Steel Nerds website. He explains it so much better than I can. Also search DeadBoxHero 's posts on this forum, Ankerson and Xplorer too. That's not everyone, but it's a good place to start.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Still just diggin' the V-Toku2 Stretch here!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Enactive wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:42 pm
Same here with Dragonfly. Such a great little knife, scratches and all. Really love the design...I actually *gasp* sold my Chaparral LW because I favor this knife that much more.

-Rick
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:52 am
Enactive wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:42 pm
Same here with Dragonfly. Such a great little knife, scratches and all. Really love the design...I actually *gasp* sold my Chaparral LW because I favor this knife that much more.
Wow, that does say a lot! Glad you've found what you prefer and works for you. I've read and heard great stuff about the Chaparral and XHP too. I haven't used either the Chap nor Dfly, both seem nice, but too small for me. It's pretty cool the range of needs and different preferences that we all have while sharing this hobby. :D
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Dang! my Endura must have been the one and only dud in the whole run... I have recurring breakouts in the edge, big (over 1mm long) sections that just crack away leaving flat spots on the edge. That and sharpening is wretched as well, with wire edge a-plenty (and no, the cracked off edge isn't just wire edge that has broken off). It's not even like it's seen any difficult use either :(

I guess I need to finally sharpen up my V-Toku2 Delica and see if it has the same issues, though from the sound of it in this thread it shouldn't.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...