s90v SHAMAN IS OUT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mako109

Re: s90v SHAMAN IS OUT

Post by Mako109 »

Promised to limit knife purchases this year. Took every single once of will power to resist. Think I'm going to regret this after you all start posting pictures :(
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

SalomonA wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:04 pm
Man I really hope I can land one of these soon, are there any videos of it out yet?
https://youtu.be/jKURYlu8eIs
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, the box showed up today. I wondered why such a big box, but Knifeworks tossed in a coffee thermos cup with their name tastefully printed on the base. I appreciate the cup and will use it in good health.

I have to say, this knife is pretty spectacular. Up to now I probably would have nominated the Manix 52100 DLC with the dark grey scales as the best looking Spyderco I own, but this clearly pushes that completely aside. The knife itself is perfect. No need to "dehorn" a few edges like I felt compelled to do with the BladeHQ M4 Shaman. And what a nice crisp "snap" sound when the blade goes into lockup -- the carbon fiber is to thank for that I think.

The M4 Shaman has been one of my most carried knives in 2019, but I think that is going to change now.

So what a great knife. I really appreciate the stout blade stock used -- it just wouldn't be the Shaman without that thick blade stock! The contoured scales are right on. I really appreciate the compression lock. I was going to pass this up in an attempt to be fiscally responsible in 2019 (but I am doing good in that regard even with this purchase). A real home run, and worth the price.

As much noise as I make about wanting tool steels in knives, I really do like the S90V -- it could be my favorite stainless alongside 20CV.

Now that I have this on my desk alongside that 52100 Manix, the contrast is amusing. The Manix feels like a featherweight compared to the Shaman!
And no, I am not complaining (and the Manix is still one of my favorites).
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Sat May 25, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5pins

Post by 5pins »

A seller on ebay is showing 10 in stock.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Mine was supposed to be delivered today but USPS decided that North Dakota is on the way from Utah to Texas :(
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

ekastanis wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:48 pm
Mine was supposed to be delivered today but USPS decided that North Dakota is on the way from Utah to Texas :(
That has never worked out well for me. I'm sure it saves them money to use that routing though. Or something.
Mm1313

Post by Mm1313 »

5pins wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:33 pm
A seller on ebay is showing 10 in stock.
I spoke to the seller this morning and they actually do have that many in stock.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

S90V Shaman made it to Canada! Thanks Sal!

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

This really is a great knife. Here are 3 observations (the last two would be pertinent to any Shaman version).

-- I really like the smooth CF, the feel in hand is great and for some reason it has a bit more "grip" than the smooth G10 in the M4 version I have. I like it and think it is "just right".
-- Something Nick Shabazz said in his review is very true -- the knife takes up a lot less room in the pocket than other big knives, and because it is smooth, it is very easy and pleasant to slide your hand past it, unlike almost any other knife.
-- This is the first knife I have been tempted to take the clip off of. Other knives have a bunch of edges, and the clip is just one more and no big deal. On this knife the clip is the only thing that annoyingly enough is not smooth. This knife might feel really great without the clip. I am tempted to try taking off the clip and just carrying it loose in my pocket. The concern of course is the knife coming open if I do that, so I will think about that some.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Great knife no doubt but in my honest opinion way overpriced for what it is. Going to pass shaking my head thinking will regret this later but wow too much!
lunde

Post by lunde »

The two that I ordered from SFO will arrive on Wednesday, Good thing that I had a Lifter's Leather belt sheath made for the Shaman (sans pocket clip), because the first thing that I will do to one of them is to remove the pocket clip then sheath-carry it.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:51 pm
Great knife no doubt but in my honest opinion way overpriced for what it is. Going to pass shaking my head thinking will regret this later but wow too much!
One mans head shake is another's nod.... :) :D

This knife is a legitimate grail ...and I hate that word!
Can't wait until mine arrives!
Liquid Cobra wrote: S90V Shaman made it to Canada! Thanks Sal!

Congratulations sir...beautiful!

James
5pins

Post by 5pins »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:23 pm
S90V Shaman made it to Canada! Thanks Sal!

What! The CBSA didn't take it? :D
kensei

Post by kensei »

It looks absolutely gorgeous!
stoby22

Post by stoby22 »

In stock at Knifeworks. Couldn't pass it up.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Well done Sal and Crew ! The Shaman CF sprint equals the Fluted Titanium Military, As one of the nicest Spyderco knives to come out of Golden. ..perfection. I'm going to enjoy using this knife for years to come.
Thank you for making this absolutely stellar blade!

James
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Extra330SC wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:15 am
Well done Sal and Crew ! The Shaman CF sprint equals the Fluted Titanium Military, As one of the nicest Spyderco knives to come out of Golden. ..perfection. I'm going to enjoy using this knife for years to come.

James

I really like mine but I wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s perfection. The grind lines on mine aren’t stellar and neither were the three other that I had to choose from. I think it’s because of the difficulty in grinding S90V. In fact, most S90V knives I’ve owned (with the exception of a Rassenti custom) have had pretty rough and messy grinds.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:01 am
Extra330SC wrote:

James

I really like mine but I wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s perfection. The grind lines on mine aren’t stellar and neither were the three other that I had to choose from. I think it’s because of the difficulty in grinding S90V. In fact, most S90V knives I’ve owned (with the exception of a Rassenti custom) have had pretty rough and messy grinds.
The Drunken I received has the grind lines you describe! My S90V Shaman, Forum PM2, Fluted Native 5 , And CF Para 3 are as straight as can be expected from a production bevel on S90V.

Very impressive finish on the entire Shaman blade too!

James
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Extra330SC wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:57 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Extra330SC wrote:

James

The Drunken I received has the grind lines you describe! My S90V Shaman, Forum PM2, Fluted Native 5 , And CF Para 3 are as straight as can be expected from a production bevel on S90V.

James

No large scratches? I’ll post a pic later to show what I mean.

@liquid_cobra
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:51 am
Extra330SC wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:57 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Extra330SC wrote:

James

James

No large scratches? I’ll post a pic later to show what I mean.
Sorry LC....I get what your talking about now. For some reason I was thinking about uneven bevels! The finish on the Shaman S90V , Is smoother , then the heavy grind lines on the other knives I mentioned (all straight and uniform ) but not the mirror Stonewash like on the Drunken! That finish would probably add another $30-40 bucks to the total.

James
Attachments
2019-05-30 11.25.39.jpg
2019-05-30 11.25.52.jpg