What is your favorite fruit?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Re: What is your favorite fruit?

Post by SG89 »

Blueberries.
Love lemons and limes in my cocktails :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Bananas 🍌!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'd rank mangos in my top ten as well. When my wife and I were living in the Bahamas, we had fresh mangos all the time. Often, she would use them to make a mango fruit smoothie, which really hit the spot after a day of working in the blazing sun.

demoncase wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:53 pm
Pomegranates are less a fruit than a passtime
:D Agreed! They've got good flavor but it's too much effort for too little.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:22 am
I don't remember ever having fresh figs though.
Figs are really nice and I'd presume you'd have them were you are. If you see them in a store I'd say give them a try. You may be pleasantly surprised. :)
TomAiello wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:08 pm
Bloke wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:14 pm
Anything but Durians! :eek:
Lol.

Here's a great video of some of my friends trying Durian:

https://youtu.be/sO2XAIYaq6g
Ah, hahaha! :)

I can't get past the initial smell so I've never put any in my mouth. All I can think is the first person who actually picked, opened and ate a durian was either extremely hungry or he did it on a dare. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Bloke on Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There is a wide variety of figs. Some are small, and sticky, some are large and dry. The textures are different, the tastes different, between the types. I'd say people need to try as many as possible. Or, just buy some Fig Newtons.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Grapes for me, after crushing and fermentation.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I had to google what a durian is....

On the basis of amount consumed: tomatoes.

On flavour (correct spelling!) - I love all fruit, but by it’s nature it appears at different times and even then various states of ripeness or appeal, so can I say all types that I’ve tried so far except crab-apples?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:54 am
I also like to make fresh squeezed lemonade. I mix it very strong, with only a little sugar.
The flesh/meat on a fresh apricot is considerably more dense than that of a peach. Also a really ripe apricot is just a few numbers higher on the sweetness chart. Now the seeds of an apricot are easier to remove than that of a peach in most cases. However when a peach is super ripe sometimes the seeds just fall right out>> but they have got to be really ripe before that usually happens.

To be honest with you I can't think of a fruit that I can compare to the apricot. I do also love Black Cherries that are home grown too. But there is just something really special about a fresh, home grown apricot. It seems like so few people have fruit trees like they used to.

Also apricots during the growing season in the grocery stores are outrageous in price most of the time.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey guys I just found out that by definition the "avocado" is also classified as a fruit!! Now that really shocked me when I read it. To me the avocado has vegetable written all over it. But it was about 10 years ago that an old girlfriend of mine won a bet with me that the tomato is a fruit as well.

There are so many trick questions regarding what is fruit and what is vegetable. They even have avocado also classified as a "berry" on top of everything else :confused:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Persimmons are pretty good, too. There are the wild kind that grow on a tree and there are the ones that get very big and grow on a bush. It is a wonderful fruit.

Anyone here eat paw paws?

I also like dewberries, black berries, and etc.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:45 am
Persimmons are pretty good, too. There are the wild kind that grow on a tree and there are the ones that get very big and grow on a bush. It is a wonderful fruit.

Anyone here eat paw paws?

I also like dewberries, black berries, and etc.
Hey DOC!!! you are so right about "persimmons" being great. But there is only a very small window on those in the fall of the year when they finally ripen>> at least the ones that grow here in Missouri USA. Because right about the first week of October to the end of the month you've got to get them right after they have completely rippened>> and you can't pick them too soon or too late. And then you've got to eat them fast because they don't keep very long. And persimmons have a flavor that I can't compare to anything on the entire planet that I've ever eaten.

One of my now deceased aunts on my dad's side made the very best persimmon preserves and she made them with Wildflower Honey instead of sugar or other sweeteners. She also made great jelly and preserves from fresh "elderberries" that we would also pick in the fall. And I'm here to testify those preserves made with persimmons and elderberries both were gourmet all the way :cool:
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Hard to say which is a "favorite." I have many varieties of citrus in the yard. Page orange. ponkan, and a fully tree ripe temple are all excellent. Hard to choose between those. Tree ripened mango's are also a favorite. Like peaches good ones are not often found in the store. So many varieties and different flavors. My parents had a Carrie tree that produced wonderful fruit, lost in a hurricane some years ago. The Alphonso and lemon meringue are great. Best eaten over a sink where you can suck the seed without making too much of a mess. :p
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Meat man wrote:
I also like to make fresh squeezed lemonade. I mix it very strong, with only a little sugar.
That sounds delicious. Do you ever add iced tea to it? I know some like it that way, including myself.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:09 am
The Meat man wrote:
That sounds delicious. Do you ever add iced tea to it? I know some like it that way, including myself.

No, I just like it straight. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 am
Hey guys I just found out that by definition the "avocado" is also classified as a fruit!! Now that really shocked me when I read it. To me the avocado has vegetable written all over it. But it was about 10 years ago that an old girlfriend of mine won a bet with me that the tomato is a fruit as well.

There are so many trick questions regarding what is fruit and what is vegetable. They even have avocado also classified as a "berry" on top of everything else :confused:
Anything that has a seed inside is a fruit... Tomatoes are also berries, along with avocado's. But they're both so great in salads!

I have to say my favorite over all is avocado. On its own, a little salt and pepper, guacamole... Doesn't matter. I can eat them all day every day!

Tomatoes are second... I have 2 plants growing right now, hope to get some nice fruit this year!

Bananas are close... Love me some bananas. And Jonagold apples. Cross between a Jonathan and golden delicious. We are trying to get one to grow from an apple now, well see how it goes. We'll have to get a few others for pollination if it does grow... Would be nice to have our own apples though!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:09 am
The Meat man wrote:

That's an Arnold Palmer! Lol! Used to sell a lot when I worked in a restaurant. Sweet tea was our thing, lots of people liked them mixed. I'm not much for sweet tea myself... People think I'm weird, but then again I wasn't born in Mississippi....
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bananas, Honeycrisp apples, white grapes, pineapple.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 am
Hey guys I just found out that by definition the "avocado" is also classified as a fruit!!
I believe a tomato is a fruit as well.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'd have to go with pizza.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Now that my way of eating is low carb - avocados. It's my go to at the buffet - disguised as guacamole. Also cantaloupes. Both are in the 2019 clean fifteen. [ as opposed to the dirty dozen - Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce ].

Other than that, it's berries; strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. I stay away from these unless they're organic, usually from whole foods.