Folder for skinning deer under $125

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
hebert3279

Folder for skinning deer under $125

Post by hebert3279 »

I know i'll hear the best knife is a fixed blade, but i'm looking for a folder for skinning some texas whitetail and having for all purpose use. I will not be cutting ribcage with it, just skinning the deer and cutting backstrap and tenderloin out and quartering up (i have saw for cutting bone).

What is the best spyderco knife you recommend under $125?
Joseph08

Re: Folder for skinning deer under $125

Post by Joseph08 »

hebert3279 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:35 pm
I know i'll hear the best knife is a fixed blade, but i'm looking for a folder for skinning some texas whitetail and having for all purpose use. I will not be cutting ribcage with it, just skinning the deer and cutting backstrap and tenderloin out and quartering up (i have saw for cutting bone).

I usually don't go for very expensive knives. Lately, i bought this https://swordsswords.com/knives/hunt-fo ... knife.html. It serves the purpose well. I will suggest you to go for such knives.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’d say have a look at the Stretch. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

A knife that fits you, your hand, feels comfortable to use - like it should be an extension of your hand.
Nothing worse than trying to work on an animal with something that feels like a wrench !

One with enough belly to skin with a few sweeps.

I don't know the Spydie range well enough to name a model.
Night be worth asking in the Spyderco forum as opposed to the Byrd.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:55 am
Stretch is evolution of Hunter if not mistaken.
http://www.paulberetta.com/hunters.htm#stretch
Chris :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

anagarika wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:49 pm
Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:55 am
Stretch is evolution of Hunter if not mistaken.
http://www.paulberetta.com/hunters.htm#stretch
I believe so, Chris.

I have a real soft spot for for my ZDP Stretch (even though Back Locks are not my favourite). It’s a great knife and there are likely other folding Spyders that would lend themselves to skinning the Stretch would certainly be my choice. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Dang it, Paul's link reminded how much I like those ProVenators.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
usher

Post by usher »

Joseph08 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:27 am
hebert3279 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:35 pm

I usually don't go for very expensive knives. Lately, i bought this https://swordsswords.com/knives/hunt-fo ... knife.html. It serves the purpose well. I will suggest you to go for such knives.
Couldn't agree more! I bought a knife for myself as well. They have better price rates and quality as compared to other websites I checked. :)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I use the Stretch for that kind of work. Mine's a HAP40 model.

The Gayle Bradley 1 also works well, although I haven't tried the 2.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I don’t hunt and haven’t processed an animal since taking down caribou in the late 1970s while working with/for the Naskapis of northern Quebec.

On that occasion, I had a Gil Hibben-designed Browning fixed-blade that helped—in Naskapi hands and in my own—to process some 30 caribou. It showed me the importance of a blade with a pronounced belly.

But I hasten to add that I watched a Naskapi elder process an entire caribou with just a paring knife, and a cheap one at that. Technique would seem to matter more than blade shape.

Still, I do believe a Stretch (either the 1 or 2; I have both) would have been a perfect cutter for that occasion. But bear in mind that the lockback handle will collect all sorts of gunk.

Maybe the full-bellied Rhino, with its flow-through construction, would spare you some clean-up time. Online, I see it goes for $130.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Depends on your expertice in this area. Back in the late 40's, early 50's I used to watch my Grandfather skin and process everything from deer to bear and small critters from the trap line (mink, beaver, etc.) with a Case trapper as a primary. He used a sharp finger and a saw for the rest. In other words its like a great pool player doesn't need a $1,000 cue to beat you, he can use a mop handle.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutle ... en&sr=8-13

Something like that. Use a disposable utility blade, a hooked one for carpet works well to run down the hide and open em up, like a zipper.... then go to something like what’s in the link above. Learned this from a friend of mine whose a professional taxidermist.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I'll cast another vote for the Stretch.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with using a folding knife to process deer. Not that long ago, many a deer was cleaned and skinned with the venerable Buck 110.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

these suggestions are only 4 1/2 years late for the poor guy :D