Police 4 lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Robbob

Re: Police 4 lightweight

Post by Robbob »

sal wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:17 pm
Hi Mac,

The Province is getting closer. More involved than it might seem.

On the LC200N, anything is possible.

salt :p
What you did there... I see it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Robbob wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:52 am
sal wrote:
Hi Mac,

:D :D

An LC200N Salt Police LW might be really cool and if the cost was not too much I would definitely add one to my collection. (we never know about the currency exchange rate over here...at least not in the last couple of years). That knife would really get my attention, and I think a few others here would agree. I have no experience with LC200N, but I hear great things about it and I find it intriguing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm afraid if either the Chief or P4 gets the salt treatment, I'll buy five and stop buying folding knives :D
:unicorn
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Hahaha! I hear you.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

Nevermind the fancy steels, I want partially serrated! Yes, I know I am in the minority, but the all Stainless versions get it, and I do not like the lack of grip on those.
willc

Post by willc »

Knife Knut wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:03 pm
Nevermind the fancy steels, I want partially serrated! Yes, I know I am in the minority, but the all Stainless versions get it, and I do not like the lack of grip on those.
It would be great to see a partial serrated blade on the VG10 and K390 versions, for ZDP I would stick with a plain edge.
I love my Police in K390 but I find myself carrying more frn Spyderco knives these days.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Knife Knut wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:03 pm
I support a partially or even fully serrated run of these. It'd be a great excuse to buy even more Police folders :)
:unicorn
blues

Post by blues »

I like the fully serrated option. Take a bite out of crime. :cool:
- Retired from the chase -
sal

Post by sal »

I think I'd like to wait-n-see the reaction to the model before making too many variations. It's a large model and that sometimes really cramps sales.
Your kind understanding is appreciated. If the model is well received, then we'll make anything you want.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:02 pm
Robbob wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:52 am
sal wrote:
Hi Mac,

:D :D

An LC200N Salt Police LW might be really cool and if the cost was not too much I would definitely add one to my collection. (we never know about the currency exchange rate over here...at least not in the last couple of years). That knife would really get my attention, and I think a few others here would agree. I have no experience with LC200N, but I hear great things about it and I find it intriguing.

A Police LW Salt would be the one I would be most interested in for sure. Especially in the new toxic green color that had been said is the FRN color for LC200N salts out of Seki.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Okay folks, you heard the man. Let's get out and push the sales of these knives. Maybe we will get a Salt version for our reward!

Come to think of it, a Salt P4 would make a great forum knife or limited run ;) :p :D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

I think I'm gonna be breaking my own rule of rarely buying knives anymore, what with the P4 LW and the Endela coming out. I sure don't NEED them but I WANT them. :)

Jim
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

vivi wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:20 pm
Same here. Hoping for a DLC run someday too!
sal wrote:
……

Holy thread resurrection Batman!
I’m bumping this thread for the cause!

I’m still hoping both of these will happen. The police 4 LW is one of my favorites. And I prefer vg10 to k390, so a salt is definitely needed and a DLC or TiCn coated vg-10 in PE and SE would get my money. But that being said I already got a few light rust spots again on my vg10 police this summer due to sweat…
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

still hope to see this in zdp
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Funny that this thread popped up. I was just going to open a thread asking folks to talk me out of a k390 SE police since it’s way larger than I need, has no lanyard hole, and I can’t carry it in public where I am. But **** does it look awesome… could be a new cardboard shredder
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:56 pm
Funny that this thread popped up. I was just going to open a thread asking folks to talk me out of a k390 SE police since it’s way larger than I need, has no lanyard hole, and I can’t carry it in public where I am. But **** does it look awesome… could be a new cardboard shredder
Other than the thousand mile journey reprofiling it to 30 degrees will be, it's an awesome knife. sal suggested I microbevel at 40 DPS while I reprofile so I can still use the knife. Because it will take weeks.

It destroys cardboard. Very aggressive.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

[quote=ZrowsN1s post_id=1638029 time=1656839498 user_id=26731
Other than the thousand mile journey reprofiling it to 30 degrees will be, it's an awesome knife. sal suggested I microbevel at 40 DPS while I reprofile so I can still use the knife. Because it will take weeks.
[/quote]

It doesn't have to take weeks. My P4 K390 is down at around 26 degrees, and it probably took less than half an hour to get it down there. I use an Edge Pro Professional with diamond matrix stones. This setup will set you back quite a bit, but it will do top-notch work in minutes, rather than weeks.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sethwm wrote:
I was just going to open a thread asking folks to talk me out of a k390 SE police since it’s way larger than I need, has no lanyard hole, and I can’t carry it in public where I am.

Before I had a Police 4, I thought they were ridiculous in size. But then I got one and started using it. Then it occurred to me that if you're using a specific-purpose knife, whether you're in the kitchen, at the dinner table, in the yard, in the garage, or in the field, it's always going to be a big knife. When's the last time you sat down to dinner at a Michelin rated restaurant, and they expected you to eat dinner with a 2.5" blade? Bigger knifes are more useful and safer.

I've been able to get around the legal technicality by never waving the knife around in the air while walking down the middle of the street and screaming at the sky. That's one of the things you should never do.

juggler

Post by juggler »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:01 am
I've been able to get around the legal technicality by never waving the knife around in the air while walking down the middle of the street and screaming at the sky. That's one of the things you should never do.

Very helpful tip! I really have to remember that one... ;)
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:01 am
sethwm wrote:
I was just going to open a thread asking folks to talk me out of a k390 SE police since it’s way larger than I need, has no lanyard hole, and I can’t carry it in public where I am.

Before I had a Police 4, I thought they were ridiculous in size. But then I got one and started using it. Then it occurred to me that if you're using a specific-purpose knife, whether you're in the kitchen, at the dinner table, in the yard, in the garage, or in the field, it's always going to be a big knife. When's the last time you sat down to dinner at a Michelin rated restaurant, and they expected you to eat dinner with a 2.5" blade? Bigger knifes are more useful and safer.

I wouldn’t want a surgeon using his Police 4 on me, if a scalpel was also an option. ;)

My point being is that it’s situation dependent, a big knife is not always the best option. Smaller knives offer more tip control over large knives and there are situations where that tip control is greatly beneficial.

sethwm wrote: Funny that this thread popped up. I was just going to open a thread asking folks to talk me out of a k390 SE police since it’s way larger than I need, has no lanyard hole, and I can’t carry it in public where I am. But **** does it look awesome… could be a new cardboard shredder
Well on one hand, a K390 SE Police 4 is a lot of knife to become a dedicated home use box cutter. On the other hand though, it would be one badass box cutter that would rarely require sharpening and it does look awesome! :cheap-sunglasses
-Nick :bug-red