Native 5 pricey

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

Native 5 pricey

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

What makes the native 5 s35vn g10 worth $150?!!.....I can get a PM2 for less...just sayin
5pins

Re: Native 5 pricey

Post by 5pins »

In S35VN?
fixall

Post by fixall »

Edit*
Reading failure on my part.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

For some, the question is instead - why do you think the PM2 is 'more knife' than the native 5?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:02 am
For some, the question is instead - why do you think the PM2 is 'more knife' than the native 5?
Because the PM2 is more knife, literally. I prefer the Native 5 over the PM2, but I haven't carried either in a LONG time.

The Caribbean is so much better! :P
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Backlock perfection.

Size is not a great way to value a folder. With similar materials the difference likely comes down to manufacturing costs.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I prefer the LW over the G10 anyway, but like someone else said, the Native 5 is a perfect example of a backlock knife.
5pins

Post by 5pins »

The PM is "more" knife in the fact that it uses more material then the Native. I would image the Native cost more because of lower sells then the PM2 so this would rise production cost per unit. I also don't see a PM2 in S35VN at a cheaper cost then the Native with the same steel. If you drop down to S30V, then yes it can be found "cheaper".
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sal has said that more goes into producing a good back lock than meets the eye....or something along those lines. The Native 5, with it's refined back lock, is likely harder to produce then it seems.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:20 am
Sal has said that more goes into producing a good back lock than meets the eye....or something along those lines. The Native 5, with it's refined back lock, is likely harder to produce then it seems.
That could very well be true. I absolutely like the backlocks in my Enduras, Stretches and Delica, but the Native lock clearly is even a step up. Alongside with the one in the Chap the best I´ve ever experienced in any folder by far.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Both my native5s (plain satin and black combo edge) are in s35vn. They cost the 90 bucks or whatever a regular s30v native5 costs.
I think they were just older stock lol.

That said the native is one of the best looking and most ergonomic backlock knives I've ever tried and usually the one I carry most. I love my pm2 and have been using that more lately, but just because the native is smaller and simpler mechanically does not mean it is lesser quality. It might have lesser utility given the shorter blade but it is definitely a high quality knife. As much as I'd like a second pm2 or even a second para3, I'd like a THIRD native, which is saying something...

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

edit... nevermind! question answered re s30v vs s35vn
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I love both designs and own multiples of both but I see a better value in th PM2...
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Comparing the two models in base S30V blades and G10 handles it's a $9.10 price difference. Somehow the Manix 2 in the same materials is almost $27 less expensive than the PM2. Also, the Native Chief, with it's one inch longer blade and correspondingly longer handle, is only going to be $6.50 more the N5 G10. Go figure.