Wire clip thru lanyards hole -- para3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

Wire clip thru lanyards hole -- para3?

Post by lonerider1013 »

Hey looking at my para three and thinking ...they shoulda used a wire clip. Well, I wonder... the wire clips attach via a single screw. Could you just get a longer screw and mount a wire clip thru the lanyard hole? Anyone ever tried this?

lonerider
Last edited by lonerider1013 on Tue May 21, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
SG89

Re: Wire clip thru lanyards hole -- para3?

Post by SG89 »

Yes you can
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

That's a great idea! I'd love to see pics if anyone has done this.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Just a demo I rigged up while watching old xfiles episodes... the screw is aluminum and can't go that tight but it still holds for now... Ideally I would cut recesses for the wire clip in the g10 but am afraid to do so. When i get a better screw will instead try to file the recesses in the underside of the screw head...

lonerider
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Bottle cage bolt?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Not sure this falls in line but I've thought about the pocket clips also having lanyard attachments on them for a long time now. There are Spyderco models like the C-44 Dyad which is one model that doesn't have a conventional lanyard hole like most other Spyderco models do. So I've been thinking that many models like the C-44 Dyad and others I'm thinking of should consider adapting a lanyard hole in the pocketclip itself.

Especially when you have models that you use and work close to lakes, streams, rivers, oceans ect... because I can't tell you how heart wrenching it is to have a really good Spyderco model fall overboard or in a deep water hole of some sort. To me lanyards might just be the best insurance policy you can get for your favorite Spyder ( folder or fixed blade). So wouldn't it make sense to insure you don't lose it???
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:39 pm
Bottle cage bolt?
No although that'd be an option, it's just an aluminum bolt I had lying around.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:39 pm
Not sure this falls in line but I've thought about the pocket clips also having lanyard attachments on them for a long time now. There are Spyderco models like the C-44 Dyad which is one model that doesn't have a conventional lanyard hole like most other Spyderco models do. So I've been thinking that many models like the C-44 Dyad and others I'm thinking of should consider adapting a lanyard hole in the pocketclip itself.

Especially when you have models that you use and work close to lakes, streams, rivers, oceans ect... because I can't tell you how heart wrenching it is to have a really good Spyderco model fall overboard or in a deep water hole of some sort. To me lanyards might just be the best insurance policy you can get for your favorite Spyder ( folder or fixed blade). So wouldn't it make sense to insure you don't lose it???
Yes... which is why this idea isn't ideal in that it covers up the hole. I do use lanyards on some knives (though not all).
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Officers Match has been doing something similar to the Military using a CRK clip. Not sure if this is helpful...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mil ... t-18377524
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Cool idea
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'm not sure I trust wire clips. I think they are shifty and will tell you lies.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Crux wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:54 pm
I'm not sure I trust wire clips. I think they are shifty and will tell you lies.
They only shift when you bump them into a doorway :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Interesting. Isn’t it clunkier than the stock clip?

I think I could come up with something a little more ideal and CNC it or 3d print it. A bushing with a tapped hole that sits in the lanyard tube with a little lip on the other end to hold it in place. But without milling out the scale and lanyard tube for clip clearance I don’t think it’s going to work great. The clip will always want to rotate.

Milling the clip recesses isn’t a big deal but you really need a mill to make it look right.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Look, pony up and get the titanium MXG clip and all is well. No need to get all wired up and then strung out. MXG makes a color for many of the 25 incredible and amazingly astounding Para 3s.

I have many wire clip knives but lately I've overheard some trash talk from them, and frankly I really don't expect this. I'm as inclusive as you can get but I'm not gonna stand for this wired revolution when the entire world is moving toward wireless.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I put the stock clip back because with out the recesses in the handle scale it wasn't secure, but as a demonstration... let's just say I like those wire clips. May get a deep clip not sure.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

It seems one could make a jig to guide a small ball nose bit in a Dremel to mill the slots for the wire clip. A milling machine is going to be a lot easier, but fewer people own them.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:52 am
It seems one could make a jig to guide a small ball nose bit in a Dremel to mill the slots for the wire clip. A milling machine is going to be a lot easier, but fewer people own them.
I think there are dremel bits with bearings so you could follow a template as if it were a really tiny router. No idea how well that works. It would be easy to 3d print a template though.