s90v SHAMAN IS OUT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: s90v SHAMAN IS OUT

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:23 am
Volk wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 am
sal wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm
Hi Chivaceae,

Welcome to our forum.

Hi Cobra,

I'll carry one tomorrow. S90 & CF......made for me. really a classic piece.

sal

Hello Sal, as I am relatively new to sharpening, I'd like to ask you about the way you sharpen and maintain the edge of your S90V knives, as it looks like it's one of your favorite steels. I see there are many different approaches to sharpening high-carbide steels like S90V and I'm curious to know yours - especially with a Sharpmaker, as that's what I have (with diamond and UF rods).
Thanks
I’m not Sal...but let me suggest it’s quite a jump from diamond to UF. You might consider the intermediate brown and white rods. Those two are actually all you need with S90V unless you’re trying to set a new bevel.
I am guessing Volk meant: He has the basic SM (so with brown and white rods) PLUS the diamond and UF ones...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

On further thought, I think the stout Shaman wants a robust steel.

S90V is a fantastic steel for edge-retention (I have it in a Manix2 XL and in a Native5), but it is not as tough, by most assessments, as even S30V, which is tough enough for me.

So, I’ll remain content with my S30V Shaman and hope for a tougher Cruwear sprint or dealer-exclusive, as was my first thought.

Besides, a bunch of other Spydies are calling my name.

ETA: Three months have gone by and now I have an S90V Shaman.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Volk

Post by Volk »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:45 am

I am guessing Volk meant: He has the basic SM (so with brown and white rods) PLUS the diamond and UF ones...
Yes, that's what I meant
PStone

Post by PStone »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Where can I buy this is my only question.
Shows in stock at bladeops :spyder:

Edit: Tried to purchase but won’t add to cart. Not in stock yet. Apologies
Last edited by PStone on Fri May 17, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Volk wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:45 am

Yes, that's what I meant
Ah! You’re good to go, then.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:57 am
On further thought, I think the stout Shaman wants a robust steel.

S90V is a fantastic steel for edge-retention (I have it in a Manix2 XL and in a Native5), but it is not as tough, by most assessments, as even S30V, which is tough enough for me.

So, I’ll remain content with my S30V Shaman and hope for a tougher Cruwear sprint or dealer-exclusive, as was my first thought.

Besides, a bunch of other Spydies are calling my name.
S90V is also incredibly corrosion resistant.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:08 am
...A Shaman LW with a wire clip and flat, squared, FRN similar to the Native LW? Count me in! This might be a good opportunity to try a "straight to CPM-CRUWEAR" production model with a nice new color of FRN/FRCP and a DLC version and a stonewash version. Then follow up with a blacked out LC200N Salt variation! I like this idea!
To me, a large part of the appeal of the Shaman is the contoured scales. Flat scales would make it too much like many other Spydies, IMO. I'd love to see a lower cost (FRN) Shaman in a tough, easy to sharpen, highly stain resistant steel. I think LC200N, (or perhaps CPM-154, AEB-L, or BD1N) would be a great fit. I'd love to see thread inserts for the clip screws like on the N5 LW and many of the Salts too. Contoured FRN with clip screw thread inserts and a CPM-154 blade would be a Griptilian killer.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Contoured Shaman LW in LC200n would be amazing....but not before cruwear micarta :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
chivaceae

Post by chivaceae »

sal wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm
Hi Chivaceae,
Welcome to our forum.

Hi Cobra,
I'll carry one tomorrow. S90 & CF......made for me. really a classic piece.

sal
Sal, thank you for the welcome. While I had known of Spyderco knives for many years, it was not until about a year ago that I checked with interest a PM2. While I liked it, I found it short of large for my liking. Later on tried a Para 3, and that hook me. Now I have one-half dozen Para 3's, a couple Dragonflies, and eagerly awaiting the arrival of my second Native 5 (carbon fiber S90V) to make company to a Native 5 Salt (LC200N).BTW, all of them are on rotation (carried and used).

Raul
Models: Para 3; Native 5; Dragonfly; Chaparral Locks: Back, Compression & Frame
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

Cannot wait for these to drop. Just want to make sure I grab one quick before/incase they sell out within the hour they drop. I'm assuming that they will come sooner than later if they were already on the European online markets.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SalomonA wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:19 pm
Cannot wait for these to drop. Just want to make sure I grab one quick before/incase they sell out within the hour they drop. I'm assuming that they will come sooner than later if they were already on the European online markets.
Just one European dealer had them in stock as far as I'm aware of (I'm European), and they were sold out really fast... but they say it will be available again come July...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Volk,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Volk

Post by Volk »

Thank you, I don't write much but I am always lurking here. Sal, I was curious about the way you sharpen and maintain the edge on your S90V blades. Do you have any preference regarding stones/grits/strops?
sal

Post by sal »

I use a Sharpmaker at 30 degrees.

sal
blues

Post by blues »

sal wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

sal
And I bet he sleeps like a baby never worrying about the possibility of carbide tear out. ;)

(I've sharpened S90V on the Sharpmaker as well. It's a lot easier to maintain, I must say, if you start with a sharp and well profiled knife to begin with, like a Spyderco...though my first foray with S90V (420V) was prior to the diamond rods being available.)
- Retired from the chase -
Volk

Post by Volk »

blues wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:12 am
sal wrote:

sal
And I bet he sleeps like a baby never worrying about the possibility of carbide tear out. ;)

(I've sharpened S90V on the Sharpmaker as well. It's a lot easier to maintain, I must say, if you start with a sharp and well profiled knife to begin with, like a Spyderco...though my first foray with S90V (420V) was prior to the diamond rods being available.)
Glad to hear I can use my sharpmaker, I have a S90V Millie that I didn't have to sharpen yet (incredible knife). I work in an office, so any S90V blade could easily last me a few centuries.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night, for the arrow that flieth by day; for the carbide tearout that walketh in darkness
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Volk wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:05 am
blues wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:12 am
sal wrote:
...I have a S90V Millie that I didn't have to sharpen yet (incredible knife). I work in an office....
Military as an office knife, very cool (and I mean it!)!

Worked in an office once (luckily not any more), always carried a sabre grind Endura at that time... also not the typical folder in that enviroment... ;)
Volk

Post by Volk »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:14 am

Military as an office knife, very cool (and I mean it!)!

Worked in an office once (luckily not any more), always carried a sabre grind Endura at that time... also not the typical folder in that enviroment... ;)
I wish I could bring that beast to the office, unfortunately it's better if I don't. Just yesterday, a colleague saw my Chaparral and looked at it as if it was a shotgun. Technically, where I live, you cannot have any knife on you unless you can demonstrate a valid reason to have it ("valid" is at the officer's discretion), but I don't want to go off topic.

Going back to the Shaman sprint run, I think S90V/CF is one of the best combos anyone can hope for. Bombproof materials, awesome looks. The price looks kinda steep at first, but grinding that steel and milling carbon fiber is extremely hard. I wonder if the marbled carbon fiber we saw on some models (Manix, Kapara) is actually some sort of CF-SMC plastic, which should be easier on the tools
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

In stock at GPK!
blues

Post by blues »

glutofknives wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:47 am
In stock at GPK!
Doesn't look like it. (Not that I planned to order...I'm happy with the M4.)
- Retired from the chase -