Dragonflies are like popcorn

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z4vdBt

Re: Dragonflies are like popcorn

Post by z4vdBt »

Dragonflies are like popcorn

and lays potato chips.

:)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm planning on finding out soon!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Lonehunter wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:37 pm
Just wish they’d dump,the stupid Choil and add a bit more edge?

so... try a delica?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:03 am
I'm planning on finding out soon!
For a small knife, you will love it. Women love this knife because it will fit in their nearly non-existent pockets and tiny purses. I like them because they weigh near zero and can be carried all of the time with whatever I am wearing. It is very ergonomic and even though I have very large hands, I can still hold the knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That sounds great! I'm looking for a small, lightweight Spyderco that I can carry in summer gear.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

DF2 is definitely small. Disappears in jeans change pocket.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sorry, but this thread needs a vid...

https://youtu.be/Vsd-o6BbY48
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's perfect!
Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:41 am
DF2 is definitely small. Disappears in jeans change pocket.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

👍👍
Jazz wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:24 am

Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:

Great video! Thanks. That knife is a solid performer. Truthfully, it is all the knife I really need on a day to day basis.

I do not close my DF like that, however. That scares me. I depress the lock with my index finger in the hole and rotate the blade closed with that finger, or I remove that finger after folding the blade a bit and snap it closed by putting that finger on the spine. I try to keep my precious fingers out of the way of the blade. Sure, on a DF there is little to worry about, but if I have the habit of closing it on my finger like in the video, there is a chance I will forget and do this with another knife and get cut.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Jazz wrote:

I expected a wharnie video from you sir!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:02 am
I expected a wharnie video from you sir!
Sorry. :p Maybe soon. This is a bit older vid.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm firmly in the popcorn camp as well, when it comes to Dragonflies. They carry as easy as pocket lint and have all the perfomance features many afi's like.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:50 pm
I'm firmly in the popcorn camp as well, when it comes to Dragonflies. They carry as easy as pocket lint and have all the perfomance features many afi's like.
Nice to have you join us. Yes, they have pretty much what we really need, if we are honest about it. I have 7 and might order another one for my wife so she doesn't take another one of mine. :D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:21 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:00 pm
Since I mentioned the Chap lw anyway already:
Vivi, did you ever give it a try? For me it's somehow the "DFly for big hands" (so even more so for you than for me), the blade is even thinner and slicier than the DFlys, and CTS HXP great steel (especially for the price) as far as I can tell with my limited steel-knowledge.
I have not. I used to own and EDC the UKPK, Caly 3, Native etc. That was as small as I ever cared to go, and these days I'm of the philosophy that I'd rather carry one big knife than two knives. The Police 4 feels made for my hand and anything smaller feels like a compromise.

I hear good things about the cutting performance of that model, so between that and the nice blade to handle ratio I can understand why fans of that size like the Chap. I'd certainly try one out if I carried smaller folders, being a fan of backlocks, thin FFG blades, etc.
Hope it´s ok to bump this thread when I don´t even speak of it´s topic (DFly...) :rolleyes: , but I wanted to reply back then and just forgot..

Vivi, in this regard I basically have the same opinion as you: I carry just one folder and thought it would normally always be a bigger one.
But, believe me, with the Chap it is.. don´t know how to put it.. something else. If one likes backlocks and slicey, NOT prybar-ish blades, the Chap is just more than amazing: The lock is from another world (due to a stop pin?) and which other Spyderco has a 2mm stock plus ffg?

And really, for quite some smaller outdoor-tasks, especially smaller fires, just for heating water or the like, feathersticking, preparing kindling, it actually beats my other folders. Bites into wood like crazy. Sure it´s still more reasonable to carry one larger folder for really bigger, heavier tasks, but for example paired with a fixed blade the Chap is a great companion as a second knife. It´s just pure enjoyment to work with it, it really does not feel like a knife in your hand but more like a "sixth, natural, slicer-finger"... ;)

I probably should better do a dedicated thread concerning the "Chap outside the office" / "Chap in the wild" ;), but I´d just encourage you: Try to get one in hand, even if you won´t keep it I assume you´d really cherish it´s feel, fit and finish, lock, blade and overall design (as said, for your handsize probably the "better DFly"...) (EDIT: PLUS it has almost no or just a very minor thumb ramp... ;) )

/ @Doc: Sorry for going ot !
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun May 26, 2019 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:34 am
Vivi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:21 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:00 pm
Since I mentioned the Chap lw anyway already:
Vivi, did you ever give it a try? For me it's somehow the "DFly for big hands" (so even more so for you than for me), the blade is even thinner and slicier than the DFlys, and CTS HXP great steel (especially for the price) as far as I can tell with my limited steel-knowledge.
I have not. I used to own and EDC the UKPK, Caly 3, Native etc. That was as small as I ever cared to go, and these days I'm of the philosophy that I'd rather carry one big knife than two knives. The Police 4 feels made for my hand and anything smaller feels like a compromise.

I hear good things about the cutting performance of that model, so between that and the nice blade to handle ratio I can understand why fans of that size like the Chap. I'd certainly try one out if I carried smaller folders, being a fan of backlocks, thin FFG blades, etc.
Hope it´s ok to bump this thread when I don´t even speak of it´s topic (DFly...) :rolleyes: , but I wanted to reply back then and just forgot..

Vivi, in this regard I basically have the same opinion as you: I carry just one folder and thought it would normally always be a bigger one.
But, believe me, with the Chap it is.. don´t know how to put it.. something else. If one likes backlocks and slicey, NOT prybar-ish blades, the Chap is just more than amazing: The lock is from another world (due to a stop pin?) and which other Spyderco has a 2mm stock?

And really, for quite some smaller outdoor-tasks, especially smaller fires, just for heating water or the like, feathersticking, preparing kindling, it actually beats my other folders. Bites into wood like crazy. Sure it´s still more reasonable to carry one larger folder for really bigger, heavier tasks, but for example paired with a fixed blade the Chap is a great companion as a second knife. It´s just pure enjoyment to work with it, it really does not feel like a knife in your hand but more like a "sixth, natural, slicer-finger"... ;)

I probably should better do a dedicated thread concerning the "Chap outside the office" / "Chap in the wild" ;), but I´d just encourage you: Try to get one in hand, even if you won´t keep it I assume you´d really cherish it´s feel, fit and finish, lock, blade and overall design (as said, for your handsize probably the "better DFly"...)

/ @Doc: Sorry for going ot !
I have large hands like Vivi, but I have to say that the Chaparral LW is amazing. I can get all of my fingers onto the knife, somehow. Odd, that. It is a very comfortable and capable little knife.

I do think the Chap needs a new thread.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I've got my first Dragonfly coming, a zone green plain edge! 😁😁😁
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm headed down the Spydiehole myself. Knife limit discipline has never been my thing 😜
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:15 am
I'm headed down the Spydiehole myself. Knife limit discipline has never been my thing 😜
Well you are not alone here!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

IMG_20190528_174331.jpg
Mine arrived today and is it sharp!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032