Dragonflies are like popcorn

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
40mm

Re: Dragonflies are like popcorn

Post by 40mm »

Well the beauty of it is, as far as I can tell at this point, is that they aren't going anywhere. If I thought the Dragonfly was going to be disco'd I would definitely buy a backup. Especially if they discontinued the serrated H1. I love this knife, in this steel, with this edge.
cabfrank wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:33 pm
40mm, buy another for backup!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder why we have never had a black FRN with black DLC blade Dragonfly Salt, yet? It is probably a good thing, though, because I would spend more money.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 pm
I wonder why we have never had a black FRN with black DLC blade Dragonfly Salt, yet? It is probably a good thing, though, because I would spend more money.

Seems like a no brainer for both H1 PE and SE, right? I've been asking for this since I joined this forum. Hope we see this soon!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:57 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Seems like a no brainer for both H1 PE and SE, right? I've been asking for this since I joined this forum. Hope we see this soon!
+1 (Hawkbill Salt too please)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wralle

Post by Wralle »

I have always loved the dragon fly.
Always wanted a ZDP 189 with white handle.
Going to have to dye the handle. But it's a great little big knife.
Matriarch 2, Manix 2 translucent blue, Manix 2 Carbon Fiber CPM154/S90V, Scorpious, PM2 S110V, Para 3 SPY27, Streetbeat FRN, Bug, Chaparral Rafir Noble, Chaparral Ti, Tenacious, Mule Team 21, Domino, Rhino, Spot, One Eyed Jack, Dogtag Ti, Native 5 Fluted CF, Amalgam, Coin 2017 :cool:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:57 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

It does and I am not sure of the thinking on this one so that they have not released it yet. Are sales that slow for black/black knives?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wralle wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:46 am
I have always loved the dragon fly.
Always wanted a ZDP 189 with white handle.
Going to have to dye the handle. But it's a great little big knife.
Several people, here, seem to like white FRN. I think it would get dirty very fast. However, I do like white polished G10 and Micarta, so white FRN might be good.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Another huge fan of the Dragonfly! My next will be the Wharncliffe version. I too would love to see some DLC coated blades down the road.......
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I honestly wouldn't mind checking one out myself.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:10 am
I honestly wouldn't mind checking one out myself.
For a pocket knife you can't do much better. I had an orange one and my wife took one look at it and said, "oooo" and it became hers, somehow. :D She is not a knife person but she has 2 DF's of her own. She loves them.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Oh, a white handle would be awesome. Coated blade with black hardware, and regular blade and hardware. Perfect for a wee wharncliffe. I know you want to, Sal.
Last edited by Jazz on Fri May 17, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- best wishes, Jazz.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Jazz wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:41 pm
Oh, a white handle would be awesome. Coated black with black hardware, and regular blade and hardware. Perfect for a wee wharncliffe. I know you want to, Sal.

Some dealer really needs to do a line of Seki exclusives in white FRN and black TiCN PE blades and hardware.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

White would be okay, I guess. I would probably buy one (more likely I would), but I still hope for a Salt with black handle and black blade.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:11 pm
White would be okay, I guess. I would probably buy one (more likely I would), but I still hope for a Salt with black handle and black blade.

That would be cool. I really like the looks of black blades with serrations.
- best wishes, Jazz.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:50 pm
40mm wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:19 pm
The Dragonfly is my favorite and only folding knife. I have a small fixed blade and a few swiss army multi tools, but as far as a pocket knife this is it. It took me a few tries before this knife stuck. But now I'm in love with the thing and if I ever lost it a replacement would be ordered that same day. I also like having just the one so I can use the poop out of him and have that connection. This one is MY knife. I dyed him black a long time ago and he has faded to this green color. Also dremeled the top of the blade where the spine meets the jimping to smooth it out and rounded off the nose a bit. He has some scars from being dropped and shows some lime green as well. Just used him today to demolish a load of cardboard, trim some plants, and a few other random small jobs. Size, ergos, and cutting power of this knife are awesome and work just right for me. While the wharncliffe model looks awesome, I won't be buying another until this guy dies or disappears. Thank you Sal.
I think that´s really cool!! There was a time, when it was my goal to find the one and only knife for me, really settle on ONE model (and ONE actual folder) I´d always carry. Still sometimes I think that would be a good thing somehow (and from a solely practical point of view, though for me not a DFly, but an Endura for example would be all I´d need for probably ever...)

But I just can´t be that disciplined... ;) Nowadays it´s even very hard to stick to my limit of maximal 10 Spydies at any random point in time...
i have tried this as well and failed. i thought it would be a para 3 for me but when i moved and changed jobs, now i am in a federally controlled building and cant really carry anything but i carry under 2.5 for federal regulations. my last job in ohio i could carry anything. so i guess as my life changes and things change i will always want a different knife for other reasons. :(
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Ah, the shining beacon of .gov tyranny!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Environments like that are where the Dragonfly shines.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'll never let go of my HAP40 Dragonfly.
It's one if my favorite all time Spydies. Was also gifted to me by FarNorthDan. In a pay it forward thread.
I sure hope Dan is well. Has anyone heard anything from FarNorthDan?
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Meh. Too small.
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

Got my first Spyderco in ‘91 a Delica , owned about idk 40 or 50 Spyderco’s since ,mostly good sized ones . Along with Striders , Benchmade ,Hinderers you name it ,but bigger was better .

Got a Dragonfly just because the MLB ballpark we go to allowed small knives ,( my Delica was to big , but it was no problem sneaking it in really ) but I went legit and bought the DF.

What a pocket scalpel ! That little thing slices so well !

Then one night I lost it ( hate hate hate that wire clip . So I bought a new one ASAP , then of course found the old one !

Some days it’s the only knife I a carry , and keep in mind ,at times I carried a Strider AR .

Just wish they’d dump,the stupid Choil and add a bit more edge ?