Least liked thing about a favored Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Least liked thing about a favored Spydie

Post by Sumdumguy »

One of my absolute favorite knives(top 3), the Mantra 1!

It is close to perfection, my only gripe is the frame lock. Atleast it's not a liner lock!

I would love to see spyderco do a Ti knife with a compression frame lock. I know it was on the original ATR and Salsa, but they are next to impossible to source.
Give me a Ti handled Ikuchi with a CFL and I'd be one happy camper!(LC200N wouldn't hurt either)

How about my one knife that breaks the rules and is perfect, with no complaints?

The Caribbean!
I have zero complaints about that one, even the color is fine with me. As far as the black oval is concerned, that is what helps make it so delicate on pockets.

Also, I have not experienced any blade play at all. If you have vertical blade play, send it in to Spyderco. Something probably isn't right.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:19 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:36 am
I love the overall design and features of the Military. The one thing I do not care for is the liner lock. If it were a back lock or a CBBL, it could be the only medium to big knife I would want to own. As it is, I will go with the P4 and NC, instead.

What don't you like about the liner lock? Curious why so many people are against it as I really like it for ease of gloved opening and easy one hand closing. The fidget factor is even there for me. I don't really see anything to not like.
I feel the same way as Doc, I prefer the Millie to the Police in most every respect besides clip positioning and lock type.

I like the lockback better because they have a self close. Detent based locks have popped open in my pocket a few times so I don't trust them.

Used to own five Millies but don't currently have any. Been keeping an eye out for the Military 2 for the past 12 years or so :p
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:48 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:58 am
The Deacon wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:14 am
Sharpening choil on the Kiwi is annoying because it snags occasionally when opening mail. Boye dent on the Stretch and Jester is esthetically unappealing, as is the clip that leaves unsightly channels in the handle when removed (and shape of lock well, if I really want to nit pick) on the Chaparral. Boye dent, sharpening choil, and clip that's impossible to remove without totally disfiguring the knife on the Kopa.
I don't quite comprehend: You don't like a boye dent in a backlock, but also don't like the shape of the (back-)lock on the Chap, which has NO boyedent?

Yes, that's correct. I don't like the Boye dent for several reasons. For one, it's just plain ugly. When has a "dent" ever been considered a good thing? Beyond that, I find the claims made for it to be puzzling. If it's a general safety feature, or an aid to finding the lock without looking, why not have it on all midlocks? If it's mostly for combative use, why have it on knives like the Kopa, Ladybug, and Jester, but not on the original Manix? Finally, and perhaps most importantly, it makes closing some knives difficult and painful for me, because one or more of the pointed "corners" of the dent press into the arthritic knuckle of my thumb. Much as I love the looks of the Schempp Persian, I cannot carry one for that reason.

As for the Chaparral, I just think a round lock well, like the Kiwis, looks nicer than the Chaparral's squared off one. Chalk it up to beauty being in the eye of the beholder.
Thanks for the clarifiation, now I see!: On the Chap, while you like that the lockbar has no boye dent, you´d like it even more if it had kind of like "rounded edges", right?!

/ Boye dent: I somehow don´t care if it´s there or not. But when wearing gloves I think it has it´s advantages.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:49 pm
Thanks for the clarifiation, now I see!: On the Chap, while you like that the lockbar has no boye dent, you´d like it even more if it had kind of like "rounded edges", right?!

/ Boye dent: I somehow don´t care if it´s there or not. But when wearing gloves I think it has it´s advantages.
Not the lockbar, the lock well. The lock well on every other Spyderco midlock is curved, the lock well on the Chaparral is made up of three straight lines.

Which lock well looks better to you, the actual Chaparral lock well on the left, or the photo shopped mockup of rounded one on the right?

chap.jpg

The current shape is not a deal breaker for me, but I definitely would prefer if it looked more like the one on the right.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:

You are not alone there, other folks have said the same thing. Still, I have a difficult time understanding why that would be. To me, the cutouts in the scales for the lock well are easier to find than the Boye dent, with or without gloves. Of course it may just be that I've never needed to use my knife while wearing very thick gloves.
Paul
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:16 pm
Wartstein wrote:

You are not alone there, other folks have said the same thing. Still, I have a difficult time understanding why that would be. To me, the cutouts in the scales for the lock well are easier to find than the Boye dent, with or without gloves. Of course it may just be that I've never needed to use my knife while wearing very thick gloves.
To be honest: You may be very well right! Actually I never tested side by side (taking a knife WITH boye dent and one WITHOUT) if the dent really has advantages when wearing gloves. It´s just guessing for the most part I have to admit.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I use the side of my thumb to unlock a back lock, and the dent just feels better.
- best wishes, Jazz.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

all of my favorite knives needed different clips. if spyderco made the correct ones then this would never need changed. and no i dont mean to say the wire clip is better because it is absolutly not. spyderco just needs to make all deep carry like mxg.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:26 pm
all of my favorite knives needed different clips. if spyderco made the correct ones then this would never need changed. and no i dont mean to say the wire clip is better because it is absolutly not. spyderco just needs to make all deep carry like mxg.
Very many people apperently favor deep carry clips, and I never quite could understand that tbh (I know I'm in a minority on this probably)

One valid reason for a deep carry clip could be that the knife is more conceiled, if one wants or needs to do that. Maybe it makes loosing especially short knives less likely, but other than that??

On longer knives I really DISlike a deep carry clip:
- It makes the knife feel bigger in the pocket, since it goes further down.
- Even if I reach deep into the pocket with my thumb when drawing the knife, I am further away from the opening hole (tip up carry of course)
- Generally a deep carry clip makes the knife less accessible.
When I had my Kapara, I really did not like it's deep carry wire clip: While the Kapara is shorter than an Endura, in pocket it felt longer.. that can get a bit awkward, when wearing for example a bit tighter jeans and sitting in a car or riding a bike...

Just my 2c, more power to anyone who likes deep carry clips! :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat May 18, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabbitanarchy14

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:47 pm
Very many people apperently favor deep carry clips, and I never quite could understand that tbh (I know I'm in a minority on this probably)

One valid reason for a deep carry clip could be that the knife is more conceiled, if one wants or needs to do that. Maybe it makes loosing especially short knives less likely, but other than that??

- Even if I reach deep into the pocket with your thumb when drawing the knife, you're furthet away from the opening hole (tip up carry og course)
When I had my Kapara, I really did not like it's deep carry wire clip: While being shorter than an Endura, in pocket it felt longer.. that can get a bit awkward, when wearing for example a bit tighter jeans and sitting in a car or riding a bike...

and see my knives are all smaller than most of what you carry. i have nothing above 3" (state law). so for me it is fine and you said on smaller knives which are my everyday knives you are ok with it. when i drive a long distance more than an hour i always take my knife out of my pocket and put it in the console anyway(deep carry or not). i dont so much need to conceal it but i have lost one the stuck out to far. will not happen again. same as loose knives in my pockets. when i am working on a car or anything else change and my keys are always falling out. have not lost a deep carry knife yet.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:29 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:47 pm

- Even if I reach deep into the pocket with your thumb when drawing the knife, you're furthet away from the opening hole (tip up carry og course)
When I had my Kapara, I really did not like it's deep carry wire clip: While being shorter than an Endura, in pocket it felt longer.. that can get a bit awkward, when wearing for example a bit tighter jeans and sitting in a car or riding a bike...

and see my knives are all smaller than most of what you carry. i have nothing above 3" (state law). so for me it is fine and you said on smaller knives which are my everyday knives you are ok with it. when i drive a long distance more than an hour i always take my knife out of my pocket and put it in the console anyway(deep carry or not). i dont so much need to conceal it but i have lost one the stuck out to far. will not happen again. same as loose knives in my pockets. when i am working on a car or anything else change and my keys are always falling out. have not lost a deep carry knife yet.
Then I totally get it! On under 3" knives deep carry is fine for me.
And I have to admit: I lost both an Endura and a Stretch while carrying them (those were very sad days... :( ). Can't say though if a deep carry clip would have made any difference, but who knows...
vivi

Post by vivi »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Most customers prefer clips that aren't deep carry.
rabbitanarchy14

Vivi wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:40 am
a year ago i would have believed that statement, but as much as i have talked to aftermarket clip makers like mxg and a few others. they can not keep clips in stock for spyderco at all. so no not true at all. many many spyderco customers want a deep carry clip, you just dont, your opinion and i am ok with that just dont speak for most ppl.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:04 am
Vivi wrote:
a year ago i would have believed that statement, but as much as i have talked to aftermarket clip makers like mxg and a few others. they can not keep clips in stock for spyderco at all. so no not true at all. many many spyderco customers want a deep carry clip, you just dont, your opinion and i am ok with that just dont speak for most ppl.
Hey rabbit, this stupid clip debate comes up often enough. They way I see it Vivi has an opinion and you have an opinion. The question I’m compelled to ask is why is your opinion valid and Vivi’s isn’t?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
rabbitanarchy14

Bloke wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:38 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Hey rabbit, this stupid clip debate comes up often enough. They way I see it Vivi has an opinion and you have an opinion. The question I’m compelled to ask is why is your opinion valid and Vivi’s isn’t?
i actually said his was valid and ok. and you are right its a stupid debate. the thread is what is you least liked thing of your favorite spyderco. i said mine and he wanted to debate it. but i do get peeved when someone starts talking for a whole or most of a group. he is entitled to his as i am to mine as well. i answered the op's question and vivi wanted to debate my opinion: why, i dont know. so why dont you ask him why he turned it into a debate when i just answered the op question.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
i certainly don’t like all of spyderco’s design choices, but implying that they are incorrect and telling them what they need to do is pretty arrogant.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
rabbitanarchy14

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:48 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
i certainly don’t like all of spyderco’s design choices, but implying that they are incorrect and telling them what they need to do is pretty arrogant.
for me and my knives; yes and if that is arrogant fine. but you and anyone else do not have to. it is just my opinion and what i needed. and no there is nothing wrong with spyderco making a deep carry clip like many of the other(benchmade) knife manufacturers. something with an official spyder from spyderco. they can make both, and incorrect as they do not make a deep carry clip replacement at all.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Here's the thing: the "knife aficionado" community which those of us who frequent these forums are part of represents a fairly small portion of the overall knife buying public, even for a company like Spyderco that makes primarily "tactical" folders. More that 50% of "us" may prefer deep carry clips, and that may be more than enough to keep the custom clip makers busy, but it can still be true that less than 50% of Spyderco's customers prefer them.
Paul
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I never say never. That said..., I'd never use a deep carry clip. imho, this defeats the purpose of having your pocket knife fully accessible. And, it wanders into concealed carry territory (which is not legal) of local (Las Vegas) laws of knife carry.
vivi

Post by vivi »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:00 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:48 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
for me and my knives; yes and if that is arrogant fine. but you and anyone else do not have to. it is just my opinion and what i needed. and no there is nothing wrong with spyderco making a deep carry clip like many of the other(benchmade) knife manufacturers. something with an official spyder from spyderco. they can make both, and incorrect as they do not make a deep carry clip replacement at all.
Your perspective is certainly both valued and welcomed, but bear in mind that less than 5% of Spydercos customers voice their opinions here. What you and I want is not always what the general market wants.

You may want more deep carry clips.....I may want more 4"+ bladed folders. Could be neither of us gets our wish because the general market doesn't like what we like.