Why no black TiCN PE Endura Family??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Why no black TiCN PE Endura Family??

Post by steelcity16 »

I wonder why there are no black frn/black TiCN coated plain edge options for the Endura, Delica, Endela, Dfly, Stretch, Ladybug, etc? With all of the different color Delicas they make, it seems like an oversight to not have an option for blacked out versions of these, right? A lot of people have asked for blacked out H1 PE and SE Dragonfly Salts as well. I know DLC is not as popular with most AFIs, but the broader market seems to like it.

The upcoming waved Dfly as well as the other waved Seki models seem ideal for this treatment as well with all of their tacti-coolness. And the Police LW seems like one where this would be appropriate.

Or as an alternative to the straight blacked out, I'd REALLY be all about some olive green/black TiCN models like the old bayoushooter exclusive. This thing looks so good! Anybody got one of these collecting dust?? :D

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
StuntZombie

Re: Why no black TiCN PE Endura Family??

Post by StuntZombie »

I would imagine it's because the coated models just don't sell as well as the uncoated.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It's weird because they do the black salt series. Not sure if the salt 2s are coated.i just Googled and it looks like they offer a CE black endura. That is very strange about no PE.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

VashHash wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:44 pm
It's weird because they do the black salt series. Not sure if the salt 2s are coated.i just Googled and it looks like they offer a CE black endura. That is very strange about no PE.

They do have some coated Salt 2s. Yeah, you would think a black/black and even an OD Green/Black would be standard options for PE Endura/Delica/Dfly. They would sell tons of them to people wanting to match their Glocks and ARs!
Last edited by steelcity16 on Fri May 17, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That olive green with black blade looks awesome!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'm a Delica fan and have asked the same! Seems like such a popular knife would be automatic to be offered in a coated PE ... but it isn't!! To fan the fire ... it is offered on a combo edge ... why???

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:49 pm
I'm a Delica fan and have asked the same! Seems like such a popular knife would be automatic to be offered in a coated PE ... but it isn't!! To fan the fire ... it is offered on a combo edge ... why???

CG

I hear ya! They offer the PE in like 8 different FRN colors, but no black coated version. :(
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

This is why I bought a black/black Pacific salt as the endura is my preference for edc. Turned out to be one of my all time favorites!
shaztecs_knives on instagram
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Police needs a DLC option. It makes too much sense for that model.

I'm sick of my favorite folding knife not being practical to carry year round.
:unicorn
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Vivi wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:48 am
The Police needs a DLC option. It makes too much sense for that model.

I'm sick of my favorite folding knife not being practical to carry year round.
Do you treat you r K390 and other carbon steels with rust prevention or even just some oil when you first get it? Taking the whole knife apart, rubbing the whole blade own with tuff-glide and then slathering the whole thing in lubricant after has worked really well for me in making sure i never see any corrosion on my non stainless steels.If its a steel i'm particularly worried abut, say 52100, i won't even wipe down the oil before reassembling the knife again, I'll just wipe whatever drips out of the pivot during the first few days to keep as much inside the knife as possible. The knife will "absorb" more oil this way too, you'll be able to feel it from the action as well as touching the blade. A blade that's thoroughly soaked in oil gets to enjoy superior cutting ability too, it will just glide through cardboard/etc when push cutting, I've noticed this is something that strongly affects cutting performance that nobody ever talks about.To help maximize the amount of oil your steel absorbs you can also try heating up the knife a little bit with like a blow drier when you initially oil it. I swear that whenever I do this, I also dramatically improve the smoothness of the overall action a large amount too. Its very similar to how a new cast iron pan will need a little heat along with oil for it to develop its "seasoning" - the thin layer of non-stick, rust preventing polymerized oil that basically gets embedded into the surface layer of the iron pan after a couple uses or intentional seasoning. When done right, both my cast iron as well as carbon steel almost never have problems even when I subject it to excessive exposure to water that would normally ruin an un treated (non stainless) steel. I do not live in too humid of a climate though, so perhaps I don't fully understand your situation. I'll say that another tip is to always have a small spritz/mist jar of 99% iso around, and when you have situations like fruit juice running into your pivot or accidental spillage of your water all over the inside of your knife, you can just flush out the water inside right away with a few spritzes or splashes of the isopropyl. Combined with the impregnated oil +tuff glide (or frog lube or ballistol), i really dont see how anything can possibly go wrong. For pocket sweat, just do the isopropyl rinse once at the end of the day or perhaps at most a second time mid-day as well. Unless your sweat has the ph of like sulfuric acid, the oil should keep your blade perfectly healthy until its time to do so.
Last edited by youmakemehole on Sat May 18, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm
that looks really nice. i honestly wonder if they will do this to the endela as well.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The OD green and black is fantastic.
- best wishes, Jazz.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I never liked black blades-too mall ninja for my taste.The only ones i have are the Perrin bowies,because i love those knives and i don't had a choice.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The only black blade I have left is a benchmade 710HSSR. Oh and a tiny Gerber.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

spyderwolf wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:19 am
I never liked black blades-too mall ninja for my taste.The only ones i have are the Perrin bowies,because i love those knives and i don't had a choice.
I agree with you. While I am glad they have this knife, because it continues the Emerson Endura Wave with Saber Grind, which is one of my all-time favorite Spyderco knives, I prefer the beautiful satin finish version.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I'd like to see more coated blades too. I believe the only Enduras and Delicas that come with coated blades have combo edges. My guess is that they are marketed for the military. It has been my observation that a lot of military personnel like combo edges. In fact, stores on nearly every base I've ever visited typically offer more models in combo edge than in any other configuration. It can be frustrating, lol. I love fully serrated, but I've never been a fan of combo edge.

Thankfully, Spyderco does offer the Pacific Salt with a coated blade.

Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

That Bayoushooter exclusive is outstanding! We need some more of that in a hurry!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bumping for TiCN coated Teal Dragonflies and Delicas!!!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d love to see a black se blade with the yellow handle. Would look killer.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I’d love a blackout dragonfly- black blade, black FRN, and black hardware. I’d be fine with the standard VG-10 but would be open to other steels.