Spyderco's Unique & One Of A Kind Sharpening Tools?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco's Unique & One Of A Kind Sharpening Tools?

Post by JD Spydo »

One of the big things I really have always liked about Spyderco's most unique, broad based line-up of sharpening tools is their wide selection of different types, styles, shapes and overall one of kind sharpening systems as well. No other company that makes sharpening tools that I'm aware of offers any selection close to what Spyderco offers. It really made my heart feel good to find out that Sal & Co. are going to re-introduce the old GALLEY V sharpening kit>> I'm definitely going to grab one them when available. I was very fortunate to have gotten one of the original GALLEY V kits in the late 90s when they were in the process of discontinuing them>> I also got about 6 extra stones for the kit and I've used them very frequently over the years.

Also I own and use the SlipStone, The 400 Series set of small files, my 3 sets of 701 Profiles, along with 2 of the older Doublestuff units, and two of the original 204 Sharpmakers just to name a few ( with most of the stones available for the 204 kit). Some of their "odd ball", unorthodox, highly specialized sharpening tools have been most valuable to me for a wide range of sharpening jobs. Also I would like to hear input or suggestions on the GOLDENSTONE that is gaining in popularity.

I would mostly want to discuss what I refer to as the "Super Unique" Spyderco sharpening tools and what you all use them for? Which ones do you all like to use and for what tools do you sharpen with them? Also for their mainline tools like their 204 Sharpmaker it would be nice to know of any unique sharpening tips you've acquired over the years that you would be generous enough to share with us. I've found dozens of uses for those older/discontinued 701 Profiles for instance and I very much want to see them return at some point. Also the "Cat's Eye" shaped stones out of the older GALLEY V kit are almost perfect for Reverse S blades and some Hawkbills as well. I'm still finding more uses for those as time goes on.

OK let's do some serious talk about any of Spyderco's Unique and one of a kind sharpening tools. Because to me Spyderco is just as high-tech with their sharpening tools as they are with their most unique line-up of great knives.
JD Spydo

Re: Spyderco's Unique & One Of A Kind Sharpening Tools?

Post by JD Spydo »

Really??!!! No one owns any of these specialty sharpening tools of Spyderco's??? :confused: Why just recently I've heard comments about the GOLDENSTONE and the SlipStone both.

Heck we even had a nice thread over at Bladeforums about the Doublestuff and Doublestuff2 both. Hmmm??? And I know a few of you at least have some of the Spyderco 302 Benchstones. We could chat about them too if you want. What's the matter folks?? :confused: CAT GOT YOUR TONGUE :rolleyes: ????
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

I have just recently gotten a Golden Stone. And I love it EVEN more than my Sharpmaker, enough so that I rarely get my Sharpmaker out. There is something seductive about teh simplicity and ease of the Golden Stone and just pulling it out and doing a few quick touch up strokes. I know there are probably "better" tools for re-profiling and fixing badly worn blades but to me for daily or weekly maintenance of blades I am loving the GS. And an added bonus to me is that laying it flat allows me to experiment with benchstone style sharpening.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I’m kicking myself I missed out on the Byrd CBN Duckfoot.

I love the Doublestuff 2, as a travel and pocket sharpener.

I’m thinking of getting the ceramic file set. I know you favour the Galley for sharpening serrations, but how does the round file go for sharpening large serrations?

I dropped and broke one of the Ultrafine Sharpmaker rods in the kitchen sink, and the main 4” long piece almost gets more use now than it did when it was whole. I use it held in my hand as a handy little pocket stone, for ‘steeling’ and touching up edges all the time. It’s a great little portable combo with the Doublestuff 2.

A single diamond/CBN rod with its protective tube makes an excellent outdoor freehand touchup file for gardening tools.

I’d love to see some bonded CBN cats-eye shaped rods in the 600-1200 grit range. (I mean bonded waterstone matrix type rods like the Venev bonded diamond stones.)

I love the luxurious size of the UF 3” x 8” benchstone - it’s an excellent finishing stone.
Mine did have some machining striations and sharp edges though, which had to be ground smooth. It’d be nice to go back to stiffer leather slips rather than the suede ones too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

AH2525 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 am
I have just recently gotten a Golden Stone. And I love it EVEN more than my Sharpmaker, enough so that I rarely get my Sharpmaker out. There is something seductive about teh simplicity and ease of the Golden Stone and just pulling it out and doing a few quick touch up strokes. I know there are probably "better" tools for re-profiling and fixing badly worn blades but to me for daily or weekly maintenance of blades I am loving the GS. And an added bonus to me is that laying it flat allows me to experiment with benchstone style sharpening.
Hey thank you for your well thought out response because I'm liking the GOLDENSTONE more and more myself. Let me ask you a couple of questions regarding that great tool. First off how would you like it if the GOLDENSTONE were available in more grit selections? Oh and by the way I've heard today that they are indeed about to release a base for the GOLDENSTONE to where you can sharpen in more than one angle selection?

Also do you mainly use your GOLDENSTONE for folders? Or do you use it for a wide range of different cutlery items? Oh by the way I like to use mine flat on a bench on certain sharpening jobs too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:09 am
I’m kicking myself I missed out on the Byrd CBN Duckfoot.

I love the Doublestuff 2, as a travel and pocket sharpener.

I’m thinking of getting the ceramic file set. I know you favour the Galley for sharpening serrations, but how does the round file go for sharpening large serrations?

I dropped and broke one of the Ultrafine Sharpmaker rods in the kitchen sink, and the main 4” long piece almost gets more use now than it did when it was whole. I use it held in my hand as a handy little pocket stone, for ‘steeling’ and touching up edges all the time. It’s a great little portable combo with the Doublestuff 2.

A single diamond/CBN rod with its protective tube makes an excellent outdoor freehand touchup file for gardening tools.

I’d love to see some bonded CBN cats-eye shaped rods in the 600-1200 grit range. (I mean bonded waterstone matrix type rods like the Venev bonded diamond stones.)

I love the luxurious size of the UF 3” x 8” benchstone - it’s an excellent finishing stone.
Mine did have some machining striations and sharp edges though, which had to be ground smooth. It’d be nice to go back to stiffer leather slips rather than the suede ones too.
That's a really thorough rundown on your sharpening gear>> I don't really know where to start. I have one of the older Byrd DUCKFOOT models but to be honest I'm slightly disappointed with it. It just isn't coarse enough for me. However I have heard that they are considering doing a GOLDENSTONE in CBN which I think would even be better yet IMO?

Actually I don't use my GALLEY V kit for serrations as much as I do with "Recurve", Reverse S, and Hawkbill blade styles. For blades with curves the contour of the "Cat's Eye" stones that come with that kit just seem to really go well with the curved blades. The "Cat's Eye" stones on my GALLEY V kit are about all I use on my Spyderco DODO models.

Speaking of Ultra-Fine stones. That's the GOLDENSTONE I want the most after a really coarse one. An Ultra-Fine GOLDENSTONE to me would be a great portable tool. I don't yet have that bigger Ultra-Fine Benchstone but it is high on my list to get this year.

Yeah you're on the same page as I am as far as want you ultimately want from your sharpening equipment. Oh!!?? by the way have you ever got to try a set of the older/discontinued Spyderco 701 Profile kit? That's the tool I like the use most for serrations. I bought 3 more sets when they discontinued them. I do believe from what you've said that you would love a set of 701 Profiles.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve been loving the doublestuff 2 lately. Haven’t used my sharpmaker at all since getting comfortable with the ds2. I thought I really wanted a medium stone to go with it, but it’s perfect as is. The cbn side has “broken in” a bit and the white side finishes just fine. I’ve learned to use lighter pressure in the cbn side especially as I’m nearly done in that side, so the scratches aren’t so severe.

Yesterday at work I dug a hole through the sheetrock with my cruwear para3 to run a cable. Pretty harsh medium. The knife wasn’t damaged, just dulled a hair. Touched up on my ds2 real quick and stropped on the suede slip into which I’ve rubbed some green compound. Was back to shaving the topography off my fingerprints. Fantastic sharpener!!

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:11 pm
I’ve been loving the doublestuff 2 lately. Haven’t used my sharpmaker at all since getting comfortable with the ds2. I thought I really wanted a medium stone to go with it, but it’s perfect as is. The cbn side has “broken in” a bit and the white side finishes just fine. I’ve learned to use lighter pressure in the cbn side especially as I’m nearly done in that side, so the scratches aren’t so severe.

Yesterday at work I dug a hole through the sheetrock with my cruwear para3 to run a cable. Pretty harsh medium. The knife wasn’t damaged, just dulled a hair. Touched up on my ds2 real quick and stropped on the suede slip into which I’ve rubbed some green compound. Was back to shaving the topography off my fingerprints. Fantastic sharpener!!

The Doublestuff 2 is an awesome sharpening tool. Another great addition to Spydercos line up of top notch portable sharpening tools. I don't know of any other company that makes as good of portable sharpening tools as does Spyderco. And that's a much more important aspect than you might think.

IF they would bring back the 701 Profiles in about 4 to 5 grit selections and more selections of the Doublestuff 2 you may just not even need a 204 Sharpmaker in many instances.

Speaking of CBN I can't wait till they introduce the GOLDENSTONE in CBN.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Goldenstone is on my list. Especially once I learned it’s coarser than the white sharpmaker stones. Sounds kinda perfect.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:15 pm
Goldenstone is on my list. Especially once I learned it’s coarser than the white sharpmaker stones. Sounds kinda perfect.
I'm also wondering how many of you guys who like the GOLDENSTONE would also like to see the return of Spyderco's 701 Profiles? I'm so glad I bought some extra sets when I had the chance because I use mine at least ever 3 to 4 days. And my MEDIUM stone out of the kit hasn't worn out yet which surprises me because I've replaced at least 3 sets of MEDIUM stones for my 204 Sharpmaker in the past 15 to 20 years but the MEDIUM stone in my 701 Profile kit that I use a lot has held up surprisingly.

Also I would like to hear more about how you all like Spyderco's 302 Benchstones?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:35 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:15 pm
I'm also wondering how many of you guys who like the GOLDENSTONE would also like to see the return of Spyderco's 701 Profiles? I'm so glad I bought some extra sets when I had the chance because I use mine at least ever 3 to 4 days. And my MEDIUM stone out of the kit hasn't worn out yet which surprises me because I've replaced at least 3 sets of MEDIUM stones for my 204 Sharpmaker in the past 15 to 20 years but the MEDIUM stone in my 701 Profile kit that I use a lot has held up surprisingly.

Also I would like to hear more about how you all like Spyderco's 302 Benchstones?

I am planning on grabbing the Goldenstone and the CBN Goldenstone when it is released.

I would also love to see the 701 and shorter 702 profile sets return as sets of 4 or 5 grits including diamond/cbn. I saw a thread from bladeforums where Sal was asking if he thought there was enough demand to do a run of 2000 of these and it looked to me like there was.

I have the Sharpmaker and need to get some of the other grits for that as well.

That should have me pretty well covered as I am not to the point where I am want to change blade angles or anything like that yet.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Oooh sprint runs of sharpening gear! :p
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Just to add to the goldenstone love. It's probably the most unique (and still useful) sharpening tool I've come across. The curvature on the edge is perfect for serrations as well.

The ceramic files are pretty great too. I really like the slip or tear drop one, again I've not come across anything else like it.
"Seven for One"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:31 am
Oh absolutely!! It was about a year ago that Sal himself said that he considered doing a run of the 701 Profiles. But the maker or company that they contracted with had either lost or disposed of the tooling. Now even with that immediate bad news he still said that it was possible for that to happen in the future. Yeah he kind of left us hanging in a way but wasn't being negative about it either. I do believe at some point they will bring back the 701 Profiles in not in the main line up then at least a Sprint Run.

Also keep in mind that they are bringing back the older GALLEY V sharpening kit. Which I'm patiently waiting for. However I don't think that's a Sprint Run I think it will be in the main line up. But I'm not giving up hope for the return of the 701 Profiles>> and I'm hoping to see them return in more grit selections. Also I'm optimistic about seeing the GOLDENSTONE eventually in more grit selections ( particularly in Ultra-Fine)

I"ve wondered how the GAUNTLET is selling? Because I've heard very little about it :confused: ?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:21 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:31 am
Oh absolutely!! It was about a year ago that Sal himself said that he considered doing a run of the 701 Profiles. But the maker or company that they contracted with had either lost or disposed of the tooling. Now even with that immediate bad news he still said that it was possible for that to happen in the future. Yeah he kind of left us hanging in a way but wasn't being negative about it either. I do believe at some point they will bring back the 701 Profiles in not in the main line up then at least a Sprint Run.

Also keep in mind that they are bringing back the older GALLEY V sharpening kit. Which I'm patiently waiting for. However I don't think that's a Sprint Run I think it will be in the main line up. But I'm not giving up hope for the return of the 701 Profiles>> and I'm hoping to see them return in more grit selections. Also I'm optimistic about seeing the GOLDENSTONE eventually in more grit selections ( particularly in Ultra-Fine)

I"ve wondered how the GAUNTLET is selling? Because I've heard very little about it :confused: ?

I didn't see that about the lost tooling! :eek: What a bummer! I really want a set of 701s and 702s with some added grits like Diamond/CBN.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
PStone

Post by PStone »

JD Spydo wrote:

It hasn’t been released yet. Kristi posted that they have them, but issue with packaging. It’s on my list of must haves.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Does anyone use the 307 slip stone? Does it conform to Spyderco serrations?

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:31 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

It hasn’t been released yet. Kristi posted that they have them, but issue with packaging. It’s on my list of must haves.

Just wrap ‘em up in bubble wrap and send ‘em! Except for nutty collectors (like many of us), packaging just goes to the land fill. I can reuse bubble wrap!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:12 pm
Does anyone use the 307 slip stone? Does it conform to Spyderco serrations?

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:31 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Just wrap ‘em up in bubble wrap and send ‘em! Except for nutty collectors (like many of us), packaging just goes to the land fill. I can reuse bubble wrap!
Oh yes I use my model 307 SLIPSTONE on quite a few occasions. And YES the pointed end does fit nicely in most of the spike part of the serration patterns. I've actually had the rounded end fit in some of the scallops in a few serration patterns but not all. Now I can get the 701 Profiles to fit in any of Spyderco's serration patterns but not all of the patterns in all the major culinary knife companies.

Yeah I've used my SLIPSTONE quite a bit over the years since I purchased it ( 2011). But do keep in mind that I'm kind of a sharpening fanatic too>> which is why I launch quite a few threads like this one. I'm always trying to share information with others concerning sharpening gear ( especially Spyderco's)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:29 pm
That's a really thorough rundown on your sharpening gear>> I don't really know where to start. I have one of the older Byrd DUCKFOOT models but to be honest I'm slightly disappointed with it. It just isn't coarse enough for me. However I have heard that they are considering doing a GOLDENSTONE in CBN which I think would even be better yet IMO?

Actually I don't use my GALLEY V kit for serrations as much as I do with "Recurve", Reverse S, and Hawkbill blade styles. For blades with curves the contour of the "Cat's Eye" stones that come with that kit just seem to really go well with the curved blades. The "Cat's Eye" stones on my GALLEY V kit are about all I use on my Spyderco DODO models.

Speaking of Ultra-Fine stones. That's the GOLDENSTONE I want the most after a really coarse one. An Ultra-Fine GOLDENSTONE to me would be a great portable tool. I don't yet have that bigger Ultra-Fine Benchstone but it is high on my list to get this year.

Yeah you're on the same page as I am as far as want you ultimately want from your sharpening equipment. Oh!!?? by the way have you ever got to try a set of the older/discontinued Spyderco 701 Profile kit? That's the tool I like the use most for serrations. I bought 3 more sets when they discontinued them. I do believe from what you've said that you would love a set of 701 Profiles.
Thanks JD. Yeah, I realised I was actually thinking of the 701 Profiles with regard to the comment about sharpening serrations, but I had confused it with the Galley in my mind.

Both setups are before my time. I know you and a couple of others have championed the 701 Profiles for a while, but I don’t recall actually seeing a picture of their shape before.

For anyone in the same boat:

They look really useful with that design incorporating two radius sizes on the edges for serrations and light honing strokes.

I’d certainly buy a set if they were re-released.

At the moment I use an Idahone white rod for freehanding the large scallops on SE edges, and the Doublestuff 2 corners for the spike serrations.

I actually came to Spyderco’s sharpening gear kind of backwards, having previously been a Japanese waterstone sharpener (mostly using the Naniwa Choseras).

After trying out the Sharpmaker for set angle microbevelling, I realised I had been missing out on some excellent, very well thought out sharpening gear.

At the moment, my technique on high carbide PM steels is to use a coarse benchstone like the Atoma 140 to set quite a low bevel in the region of 10-12 dps, in order to remove material behind the edge. I don’t cleanly apex with the benchstones, but get close to it.

After cleaning up the bevel with an Atoma/Venev progression and finally polishing with the Spyderco UF benchstone, I use the Sharpmaker to cleanly apex at 15dps and finish with some very light 20dps passes. I don’t call it microbevelling, as it’s visible to the naked eye, but you know what I mean.

I won’t claim it’s ‘the best’ sharpening method, but it works well for me for the following reasons.

- After the initial sharpening session, resharpening is very easy and quick, because so little material needs to be removed at the apex area to reestablish a clean edge.

- cutting performance is greatly improved by reducing the behind the edge thickness.

- stability with high carbide steels is good as the actual apex area is 15-20dps.

- for those who like to tinker with edge finishes like myself, it’s only a matter of a few passes to apply a different grit finish at the apex area. (Usually I just refresh the edge with the Doublestuff2 or UF stone. For ‘working’ knives the Medium brown stones are fine to finish on )

- it’s a good way to put a high performance edge on other peoples knives who know how to use the Sharpmaker, but aren’t confident on the benchstones.

Gradually the ‘microbevel’ creeps up the acute ‘backbevel’, and thickens, until it’s time to go back to the benchstones.

Here’s a pic with some random knives sharpened this way:

None of this is new or original, but it works well to address the question most edge junkies have faced: ‘if a high carbide steel needs to be run at a relatively thick geometry and obtuse edge angle to support the edge, then what’s the point?’

I’ve examined quite a few pocket knives from the Sheffield ‘Golden Age’, around 1890-1930, and this is similar to the edge geometry that made them famous cutting tools. Thin blades, tapered out to the tip, swedged at the spine, and flat ground down to 0.012”-0.015” behind the edge, then apexed with a tiny 15-20dps edge bevel.

Sorry to veer slightly OT.

JD, are the 701 Profiles about the same size as the Doublestuff stone?

When the Goldenstone comes out with the 15dps base, I think I’ll get one, based on the recommendations of you and others here.

That’s interesting about the Duckfoot. Is the CBN about the same as the Doublestuff2 grit size?

I also like the cats-eye rods on the Galley and Gauntlet and will probably get the standalone rods without the base, to use as freehand honing rods.

Thanks for starting this thread, I always like hearing and learning from from the ‘edge junkies’.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

NO the 701 Profiles are longer than either one of my DOUBLESTUFF units are. But you've got the correct information on the 701 Profiles and that is exactly how they are shaped. I love the GOLDENSTONE but I will never give up my 701 Profiles. The both have their own distinct advantages but for sharpening serrations I still like the 701 Profiles better. If I had a set of 701 Profiles in CBN I wouldn't use anything else on Spyderedges.

Yeah you're right when the base unit comes out for the GOLDENSTONE that's going to change a lot of opinions about that tool. Another thing I like about the curved radii on the 701 Profile stones is that they are great for sharpening and touching up plain edged Recurves, Hawkbills and Reverse S blades.