Warehouse knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: Warehouse knife

Post by spyderg »

The spring eases up a little with use but more importantly your hand gets used to the motion and gets stronger doing it. If you don’t have a Manix you probably don’t really move your hand that way often at least not with any force. I can close my Manix now with just my thumb or index finger. I still prefer using a pinching grip but the point is my hand is used to it enough to do it with just one. Enjoy.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Cao87 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:53 am
I just got it my skin on my thumb is a bit sore from closing it because it is stiff
But I like how light It is. I’ll wait to bring it to work once it lossens up and I get used to it
I experienced the same thing when i got my chaparral back lock out the box.

Get lube
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm able to close all my Manix's by disengaging the lock and giving it a quick snap of the wrist and the blade falls into place. You just have to release the lock as it is almost completely closed or else it will bounce back open ever so slightly. Once you get used to it, I find it one of the more fun locks to play around with...which is why I like using one at work the warehouse myself!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

I’ve been practicing closing with gloves on and it’s a little hard and the skin on my thumb is pretty sore
I guess because it’s pretty stiff
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cao87 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:28 pm
I’ve been practicing closing with gloves on and it’s a little hard and the skin on my thumb is pretty sore
Juat use it frequently and all will be good. With every lock there is a bit of a learning- and getting-used-to-curve, even with the bbl and especially if you are new to knives in general.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cao87 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:28 pm
It's easier as the knife breaks in.
:unicorn
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:51 am
The Manix is super easy to close one handed.

https://streamable.com/d7mfo

That's how I've always done it.
Either your thumb is much stronger than mine (quite likely) or your spring is weaker. I find it virtually impossible to release the lock on my Manix with anything other than a pinch grip -- which is easy enough. Actually with mine, a pinch grip to release the lock and a little shake encourages the
blade to drop enough so I can release the lock and close the knife -- failing that I push it against my leg (or nose or forehead). ;)

But it is not necessary to build incredible thumb strength or master tricky one handed closing techniques to enjoy and use a Manix 2!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Every CBBL knife I've had has been like that. 2 Manix LW, Manix 2 in 154cm, three Manix XL's and a Pikal folder. I can use my index finger by itself too, but thumbing the lock release is more natural for me.

I've tried the two finger pinch and it feels awkward for me. I only did it with the regular BBL knives I had because you pretty much have to. But I never use two fingers to unlock a Manix.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Too funny how different we all are. Though I know Vivi's hands are much larger than mine. I wear a medium-large glove, and the 2 finger pinch grip is all I need to close my Manix's. I never even touch the blade when closing.

Cao... don't get discouraged, just keep practicing and let it break in. Try any of these closing methods posted and see what works best for you. You picked a great knife, just give it some time.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I can pinch with my thumb and middle finger, and use my index finger to close the blade, but I would have to practice and it is a bit awkward to keep hold of the knife. On the other hand, just releasing the blade with the usual pinch grip and a bit of wrist flick gets the one hand close done. Nonetheless, releasing the blade with the pinch grip and then closing it with the other hand is simple and natural and what I do 99.9 percent of the time.

The one thing keeping me from becoming a big time You-tube knife reviewer is the fact that I can't open a Spyderco with a middle finger flick. Nobody takes you seriously unless you start a review or video by doing that (and underscore your skill by repeating the stunt multiple times during the video).
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

I read on another forum that if you leave the blade half open for a while
That it will lossen up is that true?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cao87 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:49 am
I have no bbl lock knife at the moment and I could be wrong, so don't rely on my words, but: I never heard of what you describe and can't imagine why leaving the blade half open should loosen up the the lock.

The spring of the bbl will not be stretched when the blade is half open, but rather the opposite, so it's tension won't get reduced over time.
Parts that can break in are not moving, so, well, they won't break in...

But again: Could be I am talking nonsense here.

Anyway, just use and use and use your Manix, it will break in, your fingers will get stronger and your "opening skills" better.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Yup, it’s not so much a matter of it breaking in, (it does a little) but it’s much more you getting used to the unlocking motion. After a week or two of use it’s second nature and seems so much easier. Even when you buy another Spydie and put it down for a few weeks to use the new one, when you pick it back up it’s still easy.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Cao87 wrote:
So....
How's the knife?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Marulaghost wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:07 am
Cao87 wrote:
So....
How's the knife?
Yes, I'd be interested too.
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Actually I was going to bring the knife to work then I cut my finger I thought I
I would need stitches but I didn’t. Anyways it got crazy busy at work because Easter is coming up soon (where
I work we ship flowers to the US) so we shipped in the thousands of boxes of plants To the US, also Mother’s Day is coming
Up so that will be crazy busy to. All that to say that I am waiting for it to slow down at work to bring it. I like I said in previous
Threads that I am new to knives I don’t want to think about am I opening and closing the knife properly. But I will definitely bring it to work
Just after the craziness is over
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cao87 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:43 am
Actually I was going to bring the knife to work then I cut my finger I thought I
I would need stitches but I didn’t. Anyways it got crazy busy at work because Easter is coming up soon (where
I work we ship flowers to the US) so we shipped in the thousands of boxes of plants To the US, also Mother’s Day is coming
Up so that will be crazy busy to. All that to say that I am waiting for it to slow down at work to bring it. I like I said in previous
Threads that I am new to knives I don’t want to think about am I opening and closing the knife properly. But I will definitely bring it to work
Just after the craziness is over
Thanks for reporting back.

I personaly feel like you are overthinking things. There is not really a "opening and closing the knife properly", as long as you can get it open so that it is locked, and can get it closed, so that it's, well, closed, that's just fine! Over time you'll get faster or maybe discover better/different methods.

Also you could carry it when "off duty", at home and so on, right?

But hey, who am I to tell you how to deal with your knife! ;)

I just hope you'll get around to carry, use and enjoy it soon.
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

I guess what I meant to say is getting comfortable opening and closing it anyways it’s been to busy
At work with lots of people around To really get a hang of it, meaning being used to a smaller knife it will take me a bit to get
Used to a bigger knife, anywho it’s complicated to explain but I do like how easy it is to open I just have to get used to closing it
And it’s my first bigger knife
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

May 14 2019 Update on my manix 2 I brought it to work for the first time and it is great. It is still stiff but I am still getting used it. It is razor sharp so I don’t have to put much pressure on the shrink wrap to cut it. It looks like it will slice through cardboard. Also since I wear gloves my thumb isn’t irritated much. I just have to see if will cut through the strapping, last thing it is really easy to open with one hand, I just have to get used to closing with one hand
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Cao87 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:47 pm
May 14 2019 Update on my manix 2 I brought it to work for the first time and it is great. It is still stiff but I am still getting used it. It is razor sharp so I don’t have to put much pressure on the shrink wrap to cut it. It looks like it will slice through cardboard. Also since I wear gloves my thumb isn’t irritated much. I just have to see if will cut through the strapping, last thing it is really easy to open with one hand, I just have to get used to closing with one hand
Hey Cao. Does the blade fall freely after activating the lock or do you need to use your other hand to close it?
If this is the case than I'd recommend using a light lubricant on both sides of the pivot and maybe some on the back of the blade that would be in contact with the bal bearing.

However, if it's an issue with your hand holding the handle and activating the lock away the same time than that's a different story