Native 5 salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

Native 5 salt

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I am curious to know if the hardware on the n5 salt is lc200n? (Screws , backlock).....I know the clip is just painted steel(bummer). I'm wondering why spyderco would use metals that will corrode on a model that is touted as an official "salt" series knife. Aren't the H-1 dflys completely made out of H-1?(screws,backlock, and wire clip)
Marulaghost

Re: Native 5 salt

Post by Marulaghost »

I believe the backlock is lc200n but I'd need someone to confirm that now
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:14 am
I am curious to know if the hardware on the n5 salt is lc200n? (Screws , backlock).....I know the clip is just painted steel(bummer). I'm wondering why spyderco would use metals that will corrode on a model that is touted as an official "salt" series knife. Aren't the H-1 dflys completely made out of H-1?(screws,backlock, and wire clip)
How did you find out it was painted metal? I was under the impression Salt knives all used Titanium clips. I've never seen a Salt clip rust.
:unicorn
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

They also use DLC on American made clips instead of paint. I haven't actually handled the native salt but I thought they were going to DLC the hardware to help with rust resistance.
carrot

Post by carrot »

There are plenty of other stainless steels that will not rust commonly used in the food industry that are not good for knife blades but just as stainless as H-1 or LC200N.

Spyderco uses some of those for various parts in the Native5 Salt (and other knives), but the exact formula has not been disclosed.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Salts don't corrode...relax and enjoy.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I also thought the clips on Salts were titanium.

Can somebody with a Native Salt check with a magnet?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

It's steel... tested by magnet.
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 am

blee

Post by blee »

Enactive wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:45 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

That's odd. I tested a Salt 1 and a Salt 2 and neither of the clips stick to a magnet. On the otherhand, I also tested 5 non-salt Spydies and all their clips stuck to the magnet.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

We were discussing the Native 5 Salt (Golden built). My sample has a steel clip.

Vivi and Darby have pointed out that many Seki built Salts, like yours have Ti clips.

I don't expect any of them to rust.
blee wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 pm
Enactive wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

That's odd. I tested a Salt 1 and a Salt 2 and neither of the clips stick to a magnet. On the otherhand, I also tested 5 non-salt Spydies and all their clips stuck to the magnet.
blee

Post by blee »

Enactive wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:17 pm
We were discussing the Native 5 Salt (Golden built). My sample has a steel clip.

Vivi and Darby have pointed out that many Seki built Salts, like yours have Ti clips.

Oh, I see.
loamy47

Post by loamy47 »

Enactive wrote:

blee wrote:
Enactive wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Dragonfly Salts have steel clips as told to me by my magnet
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

loamy47 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:16 pm
Enactive wrote:

blee wrote:
Enactive wrote:

Dragonfly Salts have steel clips as told to me by my magnet

Concur. Dfly Salt wire clip is magnetic. Pac Salt and Spyderhawk Salt clips are non-magnetic. Native Salt is magnetic. All my non-salts are magnetic.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
loamy47

Post by loamy47 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:21 pm

Concur. Dfly Salt wire clip is magnetic. Pac Salt and Spyderhawk Salt clips are non-magnetic. Native Salt is magnetic. All my non-salts are magnetic.
This is an interesting conundrum.
loamy47

Post by loamy47 »

Also, can anyone confirm that the H1 Dragonflies have H1 hardware? I just assumed it was treated in some way and/or coated.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Usually the hardware isn't H1 but another stainless steel that's highly corrosion resistant. H1 hardware would probably drive price up where it's unnecessary. Not sure how it would hold up in a threaded capacity either. So far i haven't had any problems with my salt knives hardware rusting. Brought my dfly salt to the beach many times along with my spyderhawks and pacific salt.

There's a thread out there about a person leaving their salt knife on a boat for an extended period. It actually had a bunch of brown nasty stuff on the blade but didn't rust. They washed it off and it was fine underneath.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Probably steel, but other metals will be attracted to magnets, as well. Perhaps an alloy of these?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

loamy47 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:15 am
Also, can anyone confirm that the H1 Dragonflies have H1 hardware? I just assumed it was treated in some way and/or coated.
IIRC, the non-blade steel components are treated/coated.

Also IIRC, on the Caribbean, both the blade and liners are LC200N, and the other steel components (screws, etc., are specially treated. I remember in BF that Sal said they were treated, but that how or with what is a trade secret (or something to that effect).

Jim
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I have a similar recollection. Treated, coated or other rust proof alloy.
James Y wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:19 am
loamy47 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:15 am
IIRC, the non-blade steel components are treated/coated.

Also IIRC, on the Caribbean, both the blade and liners are LC200N, and the other steel components (screws, etc., are specially treated. I remember in BF that Sal said they were treated, but that how or with what is a trade secret (or something to that effect).

Jim
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Neither titanium, nor aluminum are drawn to magnets regardless of alloy and some steels are not. Some austenitic steels aren't magnetic and highly alloyed steels might not be either-- e.g. very high chromium.

We should get a metalurgist or smith in here tho. Larrin, Shawn, Chad? Other?
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:49 am
Probably steel, but other metals will be attracted to magnets, as well. Perhaps an alloy of these?