Would you buy a Golden, CO USA EARTH Made Tenacious Lightweight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Golden, CO USA EARTH Made Tenacious Lightweight?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 49

BornIn1500

Re: Would you buy a Golden, CO USA EARTH Made Tenacious Lightweight?

Post by BornIn1500 »

I think a Polestar or Tenacious with a compression lock and better steel would be, hands-down, the best Spyderco knife that exists. I'd prefer the Polestar design because of the slightly more spacious handle. And even if they stuck with BD1 and made in China, it would still be great. I really think the Polestar would have had tons of sales if the China factory could pump out compression locks instead of the liner lock it currently has. But it seems like that's not an option.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:02 pm

I think a Polestar or Tenacious with a compression lock and better steel would be, hands-down, the best Spyderco knife that exists. I'd prefer the Polestar design because of the slightly more spacious handle.
p_atrick wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Isn't the Polestar a "better" Tenacious that goes for more money? ...
I couldn't help think of the Polestar when I hear upgraded Tenacious.

Sounds like I need a Polestar! I will add that to my list of wants. I still want a Golden Made Tenacious LW with Grey FRN, liner lock, wire clip, and DLC CPM-CRUWEAR though! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:10 pm
Sounds like I need a Polestar! I will add that to my list of wants. I still want a Golden Made Tenacious LW with Grey FRN, liner lock, wire clip, and DLC CPM-CRUWEAR though! :)
The only negatives I can say about it is that mine has a fairly soft detent (which seems to be common) and the cutout for the lock is large, which gives it a hollowed out feeling for my index finger because my finger hangs partially off that front "ledge" in front of the cutout. That's why I would like the compression lock, because it would eliminate that cutout and make the grip perfect.

Other than those nitpicks, I like everything.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:20 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
The only negatives I can say about it is that mine has a fairly soft detent (which seems to be common) and the cutout for the lock is large, which gives it a hollowed out feeling for my index finger because my finger hangs partially off that front "ledge" in front of the cutout. That's why I would like the compression lock, because it would eliminate that cutout and make the grip perfect.

Yep. If it just had a compression lock, and a nice finger choil. G10 scales, a bit more point to the blade, Made in Golden, Colorado.
Might be a good thing. People would buy it.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:58 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

Yep. If it just had a compression lock, and a nice finger choil. G10 scales, a bit more point to the blade, Made in Golden, Colorado.

Sounds like you are describing a Para 3/PM2...lol :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Tucson Tom wrote:

Noooo. The lack of a choil is what makes the Polestar great. A choil would ruin it and there would be no point to even make the model because there are so many other g10, finger choil, and compression lock models. I think there's a large market for a mid-size compression lock knife with no choil and an edge that goes the entire length of the blade and the Polestar would fill that niche nicely. The Caribbean is close but it's a fairly large knife.
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Mon May 13, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Yea really. If a choil would be added, it would just be like everything else.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

No.There are so many lightweight Spydercos with a choil,compression lock and wire clip.Why make an entry level,affordable knife into something that already exist?
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:44 am
No.There are so many lightweight Spydercos with a choil,compression lock and wire clip.Why make an entry level,affordable knife into something that already exist?
... maybe just because a higher quality Tenacious would be exactly NOT another knife featuring a choil, comp. lock and wire clip?! ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:
BornIn1500 wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

Was just about to post "there, you just proved my initial post correct, no need to reinvent the wheel :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:49 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:
BornIn1500 wrote:

Was just about to post "there, you just proved my initial post correct, no need to reinvent the wheel :)
No offense, but the way that thread is going seems almost a bit funny to me ;)

Reinvent the wheel?!: Again:

- The OP proposed a Tenacious in "Golden quality" and "Golden steel" (so probably S30V) and lightweight, while keeping everything else the same
- On the "S30V Golden level" or the "VG10 Seki level" that would NOT be reinventing the wheel, but a very unique knife!
- Why?: Cause it would NOT feature a choil or Ricasso, the edge would go all the way back to the handle, and in that it would offer a perfect "edge to closed length" ratio. Again, the Tenacious has 1cm (2/5 of an inch) MORE cutting edge than the PM2. But CLOSED it is not that 1 cm LONGER than the PM2, even not the same length, but 1cm SHORTER. It also would NOT feature a comp. lock.
- Plus, if you intuitivly just grip the handle,your hand is VERY close to the edge already.

This is a kind of knife I´d really wanted to see a few years ago on the basic "Golden" and "Seki" levels, but before the Carribean was released,there was no such model really (the Centofante maybe, but I am not a fan of its sabre / hollow grind).

So, saying a "Golden" Tenacious would be just "more of the same" would be like saying the Carribean is redundand and just another PM2... I mean, taking the arguments in this thread, you could state that ("give the Carribean a choil and another steel, than it would be a PM 2 - so we don´t need a Carribean..." ;) )

/ I think the main drawback concerning sales in a "Golden" Tenacious would be the liner lock really. Functionally a perfect lock, but people came to associate it too much with the lower end Spyderco line, as far as it comes to the main production knives...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:58 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote:

- The OP proposed a Tenacious in "Golden quality" and "Golden steel" (so probably S30V) and lightweight, while keeping everything else the same
- On the "S30V Golden level" or the "VG10 Seki level" that would NOT be reinventing the wheel, but a very unique knife!
- Why?: Cause it would NOT feature a choil or Ricasso, the edge would go all the way back to the handle, and in that it would offer a perfect "edge to closed length" ratio. Again, the Tenacious has 1cm (2/5 of an inch) MORE cutting edge than the PM2. But CLOSED it is not that 1 cm LONGER than the PM2, even not the same length, but 1cm SHORTER. It also would NOT feature a comp. lock.
- Plus, if you intuitivly just grip the handle,your hand is VERY close to the edge already.

This is a kind of knife I´d really wanted to see a few years ago on the basic "Golden" and "Seki" levels, but before the Carribean was released,there was no such model really (the Centofante maybe, but I am not a fan of its sabre / hollow grind).

So, saying a "Golden" Tenacious would be just "more of the same" would be like saying the Carribean is redundand and just another PM2... I mean, taking the arguments in this thread, you could state that ("give the Carribean a choil and another steel, than it would be a PM 2 - so we don´t need a Carribean..." ;) )

/ I think the main drawback concerning sales in a "Golden" Tenacious would be the liner lock really. Functionally a perfect lock, but people came to associate it too much with the lower end Spyderco line, as far as it comes to the main production knives...
You do have valid points, i'll give you that. Maybe it's me already having problems taking in the bewildering plethora of Spyderco knives that make me oppose a "Mercedes built Dacia Duster" :)
I don't think i have ever wished for a Spyderco that doesn't already exist, or at least a model that comes so close it won't matter. My "thing" is more handle material, i do wish for more wood and Micarta.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

LOL! "Mercedes built Dacia Duster" Ha! :D
Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:47 am
Wartstein wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

You do have valid points, i'll give you that. Maybe it's me already having problems taking in the bewildering plethora of Spyderco knives that make me oppose a "Mercedes built Dacia Duster" :)
I don't think i have ever wished for a Spyderco that doesn't already exist, or at least a model that comes so close it won't matter. My "thing" is more handle material, i do wish for more wood and Micarta.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:47 am
Wartstein wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
.... My "thing" is more handle material, i do wish for more wood and Micarta.

Then you you have a strong ally in me, especially when it comes to Micarta!! ;)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I was just being a wise-guy and trying to describe a PM2. ;) It seemed that we were reinventing the PM2 or Para3 with this discussion.

I used to carry my Tenacious regularly, but now I have (for some reason) accumulated quite a number of nicer Spydercos and I hardly ever carry it because my other knives deserve pocket time.

This will perhaps only make sense to Wartstein, but I was reminded of gear for Telemark Skiing. It began as cross country skiing with 3 pin bindings and then added steel edges to the skis, plastic boots, release bindings. Bit by bit it was evolving into regular downhill ski gear. I finally abandoned telemark and just did regular downhill with shaped skis before I abandoned skiing altogether.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:48 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

Noooo. The lack of a choil is what makes the Polestar great. A choil would ruin it and there would be no point to even make the model because there are so many other g10, finger choil, and compression lock models. I think there's a large market for a mid-size compression lock knife with no choil and an edge that goes the entire length of the blade and the Polestar would fill that niche nicely. The Caribbean is close but it's a fairly large knife.

I agree. I'm thinking that the Polestar's downfall was that the BD-1 steel though. I get that it is a USA steel and an upgrade from the 8Cr13Mov, and I actually like BD-1 in my Manix LW and plan on getting both the Polestar and Alcyone. BUT, I am not sure it was enough of an upgrade to justify a 41% price increase to most people.

I did some back of the napkin (ok, microsoft excel) math comparing relative upgrade costs between BD-1, S30V, CPM-CRUWEAR, and S110V across the Para 3, Manix LW, Polestar and Alcyone. By my math, a CRUWEAR Polestar would have been $77.95 at retail vs. $66.95 at retail for BD-1. The CRUWEAR Alycone would have been $74.17 at retail vs. $63.50 for the current BD-1 version.

Sub-$80 knives in CPM-CRUWEAR with G10, and seriously some of the best designs Spyderco has ever made. Tell me they wouldn't sell those by the container ship full! I'd probably have 5 of each stashed throughout my house, cars, toolboxes, etc.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:55 am
spyderwolf wrote:
... maybe just because a higher quality Tenacious would be exactly NOT another knife featuring a choil, comp. lock and wire clip?! ;)
No,it would be a Para 2.5 ;)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

spyderwolf wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:55 am
spyderwolf wrote:
No,it would be a Para 2.5 ;)

I am not suggesting we add a choil, or a comp lock. I enjoy the liner lock for many reasons, and the choil-less blade shape, blade length, edge length, handle length, and ergos are where the Tenacious really stands out above a knife like the Para 3. A lighter-weight version with a wire clip and the ability to use CRUWEAR, CTS-XHP, 4V, and other USA-made steels without import costs make this a unique knife that would fit just fine in the Golden lineup. Almost like a mini-Military LW.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

No. Unnecessary. It would then defeat the purpose of being made in China and the price would get close to that of a Para 3 lightweight. Plus I find it ugly (the Tenacious).
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Don’t fix what ain’t broke.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”