When is the PM2 Maxamet Going To Arrive???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

When is the PM2 Maxamet Going To Arrive???

Post by cycleguy »

I'm about to drop my money on a new knife and I'm wondering when the PM2 Maxamet is going to be released? I don't want to get caught in that position of being short on available funds and missing out because of it. What's the latest line on this one? I know it is coming as I have seen it in the 2019 catalog and the year is close to being half over.... :eek:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JonLeBlanc

Re: When is the PM2 Maxamet Going To Arrive???

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I've found that a bit strange myself, it seemed like the issues surrounding warping of blades had been sorted. But it doesn't really bother me as I'm not really in the market for a Maxamet PM2 anyway, just kinda strange lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Yes, I have been wondering this also.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It came and went. When will the Military arrive? ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Maxamet versions of the lightweight Native 5 and Manix 2 and G10 versions of the PM2 and Para 3 were released quite some time ago. Best not to hold your breath for more Maxamet any time soon, and if it does, it’ll likely be a new (smaller than Military) model. You will have to make due with the secondary market.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I was keen on this once, but I think I have lost interest entirely. I have a Maxamet Native 5, and that will do me fine. I would rather see Cruwear become the "production non-stainless" on the PM2 in lieu of Maxamet.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:27 pm
I was keen on this once, but I think I have lost interest entirely. I have a Maxamet Native 5, and that will do me fine. I would rather see Cruwear become the "production non-stainless" on the PM2 in lieu of Maxamet.

+1
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

The Manix 2 LW Maxamet is available and one **** of a knife. I got one and love it.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

With all this talk of cruwear replacing maxamet, I’d better get a couple more before they get discontinued.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

I have a Maxamet mule which led to the purchase of a PM3 and Native LW in the same steel. Amazing stuff. If they were to come out with a Military in this model I would certainly purchase one. If they had a sprint PM3 or PM2 in Maxamet, would purchase one of those as well.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:13 pm
Maxamet versions of the lightweight Native 5 and Manix 2 and G10 versions of the PM2 and Para 3 were released quite some time ago. Best not to hold your breath for more Maxamet any time soon, and if it does, it’ll likely be a new (smaller than Military) model. You will have to make due with the secondary market.
It's in the 2019 production catalog. We are just waiting for it to hit the market.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:58 pm
With all this talk of cruwear replacing maxamet, I’d better get a couple more before they get discontinued.
I don't think anyone from spyderco confirmed that. Just wishful thinking from a few forumites.
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

Eagerly waiting on this as well. I agree with Double Ds reasoning, it should hopefully hit in Q3 or Q4.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Maxamet PM2 may have come and gone, but its appearance in the 2019 product guide suggests its initial problems have been fixed and it is returning as a production knife within the catalog year. At least, that’s the conclusion I draw from the purpose given for the Reveals, which are supposed to make the Product Guide more of a promise than a suggestion.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon May 13, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:42 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:13 pm
It's in the 2019 production catalog. We are just waiting for it to hit the market.
That was my impression as well, and if I'm not mistaken Mr G has said more than once that maxamet WILL come back in PM/Para form, just when is the question.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Slash

Post by Slash »

I wouldn't trust the catalog to be accurate. Best to move on and get something else. Correct me if I'm wrong. But, doesn't maxamet have sharpening issues? Why would you want a steel you can't properly sharpen?
Just my 2 cents
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Slash wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:31 pm
I wouldn't trust the catalog to be accurate. Best to move on and get something else. Correct me if I'm wrong. But, doesn't maxamet have sharpening issues? Why would you want a steel you can't properly sharpen?
Just my 2 cents
Lol. Of course it can be properly sharpened. Just takes a bit more skill and proper supplies. If it couldn't be properly sharpened, it would come dull from the factory... Which it doesn't. From my experience, it's about the same level of difficulty as s110v
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Always fun doing a bit of detective work for these threads... While these knives do appear in the 2019 Spyderco catalog, all but the Para 3 have appeared in previous catalogs or mid-year supplements (and sometimes not consecutively even once they've been released).

Manix 2: appears in the 2017 Catalog as "NEW", but first appears in RamZar's 2016 all-mighty "Lists" thread (another shout-out to RamZar!! :D)
Native 5: first appears in the 2017 Catalog as "NEW" and RamZar's 2017 thread
Paramilitary 2 Maxamet: appears in the 2017 Mid-Year Supplement as "NEW" and RamZar's 2017 thread
Para 3 Maxamet: shown as released in March 2018 per RamZar's 2018 thread, thus this knife should have shown in the 2018 Mid-Year Supplement but did not for some reason (they did release the Rex 45 series in that supplement though). To deepen the mystery, when the Maxamet Para 3 is first shown in the 2019 Catalog, it is not marked as "NEW" - but it's not unusual since NO knives in the most recent catalog are marked new...

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, just stating the facts as they stand. It certainly seems to me at the very least that the Spydercrew seems hesitant to crank the Maxamet supply chain back up as it literally tears through their machinery. I'm sure they certainly hear everyone telling them they should make more, I just would focus on the secondary market to find one rather than waiting for them to drop any moment because they appear in the 2019 Catalog. We are now 14 months past the most recent release of them (P3) and now over two years since its first appearance in any model.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I asked Eric about this at the Oregon Knife Show. Judging by his reaction(launched a wadded up piece of paper at me,lol), I'd say they are still having difficulties getting the longer blades right.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:58 pm
Talk is cheap. We're all Bozo's on this bus.