The world needs more rounded/contoured/polished G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

The world needs more rounded/contoured/polished G10

Post by Evil D »

Not just in gent's knives, I want it in everyday user knives too. I think it's a fair compromise to polished micarta (in looks at least) and it doesn't have the same shrinkage issues as micarta.

C'mon...it looks ridiculously good. :cool:

It's also a crime the Kiwi 4 didn't come this way from the factory. Absolute missed opportunity.
Last edited by Evil D on Mon May 13, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Re: The world needs more rounded/contoured/polished G10

Post by steelcity16 »

"The world needs more flat slab, unrounded, uncontoured, coarse peel ply G10"

Fixed that for you :D I think I would be more enthused about the Shaman if it was flat slab, unrounded, uncontoured, coarse peel ply G10 like the rest of the Golden models. And I passed on both PM2 and Para 3 Cruwear exclusives last year because of the smooth G10. I would have bought both had they been peel ply G10.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

A little effort, sandpaper, and some water can fix that issue on most knives. Smooth G10 is okay but it's not as grippy as micarta. My darn dao looks beautiful but I would feel more confident swinging it if it were micarta. The red Persian sprint isn't as grippy as the original black micarta Kris is. I don't have an original Persian to compare.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VashHash wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:01 pm
A little effort, sandpaper, and some water can fix that issue on most knives. Smooth G10 is okay but it's not as grippy as micarta. My darn dao looks beautiful but I would feel more confident swinging it if it were micarta. The red Persian sprint isn't as grippy as the original black micarta Kris is. I don't have an original Persian to compare.

Yes and no. You end up with a much thinner handle on the end and you're limited to how much you can round it off before going through into the liners. You couldn't get this effect with factory Para 2 scales for example because you need to get the scale as round as possible to show the grain.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Fixed that for you :D I think I would be more enthused about the Shaman if it was flat slab, unrounded, uncontoured, coarse peel ply G10 like the rest of the Golden models. And I passed on both PM2 and Para 3 Cruwear exclusives last year because of the smooth G10. I would have bought both had they been peel ply G10.

Yuck. There are already hoards of flat brick knives.
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:07 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

I love 'em! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

That Kiwi is gorgeous.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:15 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:07 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

I love 'em! :)

I don't dislike them, they're just so boring. My hand isn't flat and squared, I don't need all my knives to be flat and squared.
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Agreed!
I love the scales on the Vallotton, Lil' Sub Hilt, Hungarian, Tropen, etc.
Why not do this for the Chaparral?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:43 pm
Agreed!
I love the scales on the Vallotton, Lil' Sub Hilt, Hungarian, Tropen, etc.

I loved my Vallotton, I need another one. It kinda sucks that when they do this type of scales they're usually on a knife I don't otherwise care for. I would love to have a Sliverax like this...might just have to make that happen.
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Why not do this for the Chaparral?

I was thinking earlier today that I would like a Chap with wafer thin Blurple Peel Ply G10 and S110V. Lol. Ok, I'll stop clogging up this thread with my Peel Ply G10 obsession. :) I mean it just feels so good! :p
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Would have said "no" till I handled a Shaman... since that day: Yes, indeed! ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Yes!! More curves, gently coke bottled!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would love it. That is one reason I really enjoy my Pattada.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

steelcity16 wrote:

I'm in almost 100% agreement; I say almost bc I just wouldn't want to pass on a knife I really like for that reason alone, but yeah I like the substantial-ness of a big rough G-10 brick lol, in fact I wish G-10 would stay pristine and fresh like it comes from the factory forever :cool: Additionally, I was not aware that micarta suffers from shrinkage issues, which is a shame because I think paper micarta is gorgeous, I've just never owned anything in it.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I agree. Doesn't have to be super contoured, but a little polish goes a long way. If the Positron G-10 wasn't frickin' orange I'd have one in my pocket right now instead of the CF version. CF just seems tacky to me.

Also G-10 comes in so many colors that I'd like to see black become less common. Like even a dark gray would make a better default than black. I think 50% of the "G-10 at this price point?" complaints are really just bored with black G-10. It's a good material, nothing wrong with G-10.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:18 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

Additionally, I was not aware that micarta suffers from shrinkage issues, which is a shame because I think paper micarta is gorgeous, I've just never owned anything in it.
I don't think it's meant here that Micarta GENERALLY suffers from shrinkage issues when kept in roughly the same climate (the Micarta on my fixed blades does not shrink at all).

It's just a possible problem for producers, when Micarta is shipped from let's say a very humid (Taichung???) to a very dry climate as far as I am aware of.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:23 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:18 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

Additionally, I was not aware that micarta suffers from shrinkage issues, which is a shame because I think paper micarta is gorgeous, I've just never owned anything in it.
I don't think it's meant here that Micarta GENERALLY suffers from shrinkage issues when kept in roughly the same climate (the Micarta on my fixed blades does not shrink at all).

It's just a possible problem for producers, when Micarta is shipped from let's say a very humid (Taichung???) to a very dry climate as far as I am aware of.
Ahh I see
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Doesn't have to be completely rounded for me. I just like to see good chamfering instead of squared edges. I find it hard to believe most people want 90 degree edges on G10 scales. The Lil Temp 3 I got has a perfect chamfer.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I’d at least like the edges rounded, or if chamfered, then smoothed too. As nice as the Lil Native is, I need to soften the edges soon, for example. That Kiwi does look great, Dave. Can we perhaps see a top down shot, please?
- best wishes, Jazz.