Musing on slipjoints...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mzen

Musing on slipjoints...

Post by Mzen »

I'll just lay it all on the table... Spyderco did an incredible job on the newest red G10 UKPK sprint run. There is literally nothing I would change about it, not even the "boring" blade steel (yes folks, S30V works perfectly fine... shocking, I know).

Between fit and finish, the G10 and the new CQI changes to the spring bar mechanism, Golden executed this one perfectly. Problem is, now I want all of my slipjoints made there! I absolutely don't want to offend any Maniago fans out there (I'm European, we are all family here!), but after a Squeak that stopped locking correctly to the point of being unsafe and an Urban with a spinning pivot (still works fine though), I feel this is a whole different level.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot on the horizon regarding Spyderco slippies. I know the new Coyote Urban is coming, but I have never been a huge fan of those FRN handles, I much prefer the type of FRN used on the Native 5 (which I suspect might actually be bomb-proof), followed by the Dragonfly 2.

In a perfect world, I would love a re-release of the Urban with orange G10 and Wharncliffe blade, it would be an amazing companion to the UKPK for smallish tasks or people terrified of sharp objects, but the discontinued Seki model is currently going for silly prices and missing that sweet CQI from Golden, so it seems that all I'm left with is waiting for the eventual release of the Lil' Native Slipjoint.

So I'm calling out all the slippie fans out there to speak their minds, what are your deepest desires? My keywords are: G10, Wharncliffe, Made in Golden, Urban sized :D. Handle colors or blade steels are all fine (maybe not N690Co... I feel like that steel has a personal grudge against me). In the meantime, I'll be putting some Lil' Native pictures on milk cartons and hope for some news. Or get a Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe and spend my time running from the law... Such is the way of the European :(
knivesandbooks

Re: Musing on slipjoints...

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'd like less utilitarian and more fancy slipjoints.
Less frn and g10. Do titanium, wood, etc.
Do a slippie model like the chaparral.
52100, cruwear, 3v, m4. Call back to trasiditionals with non-stainless.
Maybe some slipjoint collabs.
Would kill for a Slysz slippie.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:45 pm
I agree with most of what you're asking for, but as a slippie fan by law (quite literally), I understand that beggars can't be choosers, that's why I have simpler requests :p. I am perfectly aware that Europe is not Spyderco's main market, so they will always give preferential treatment to their locking knives. You rarely see Spyderco knives on shelves around here, the brand is simply much bigger in America. It would be interesting to hear about how well their slipjoints do sales-wise in general, but it's obvious they can't reach Para 3 numbers.

Having said that, some Pakkawood or Cruwear here and there sounds pretty reasonable, even on already existing models. But I think I'm done with titanium for the moment, especially after the literal avalanche of framelock flippers that got released in recent times... There can be too much of a good thing haha

The collaboration sounds like a pretty cool idea though... Has anything like that ever happened before when it comes to Spyderco slipjoints?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Mzen wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:31 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:45 pm
I agree with most of what you're asking for, but as a slippie fan by law (quite literally), I understand that beggars can't be choosers, that's why I have simpler requests :p. I am perfectly aware that Europe is not Spyderco's main market, so they will always give preferential treatment to their locking knives. You rarely see Spyderco knives on shelves around here, the brand is simply much bigger in America. It would be interesting to hear about how well their slipjoints do sales-wise in general, but it's obvious they can't reach Para 3 numbers.

Having said that, some Pakkawood or Cruwear here and there sounds pretty reasonable, even on already existing models. But I think I'm done with titanium for the moment, especially after the literal avalanche of framelock flippers that got released in recent times... There can be too much of a good thing haha

The collaboration sounds like a pretty cool idea though... Has anything like that ever happened before when it comes to Spyderco slipjoints?
The Pingo was a Vox design, and that other one discontinued in 2017 with all the holes (name escapes me) was also a collab.

The slipjoint market is rising. People, Americans, are starting to buy them more. It is probably just a trend, but I'd still like it capitalized on. In many ways I prefer a slipjoint for my day to day. Spyderco could probably maintain at least one higher end slippie on the roster, if done well.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Mzen wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:31 pm
About 10 years back, there was the Bob Terzuola "Slipit" model:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... SLIPIT/416
http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... ola_Slipit

I'd love to see a re-issue of that one.

The other model I'd like to see is the UKPK with drop point blade, in ZDP189 steel, with brown G10 handles. This is probably the closest we'll ever get to a "Lil Stretch".
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

A drop point CQI’d UKPK G10 would be fantastic. 52100 would be better still.

With computerised manufacturing, it’s probably only the push of a button, surely.....
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 am
A drop point CQI’d UKPK G10 would be fantastic. 52100 would be better still.
I agree: a drop point G10 UKPK in 52100 would be awesome.

I'm always up for more slippies. Blade steels are what interest me, rather than colours or handle materials. More K390, or 52100, CPM M4, or Cruwear would all be great. And if LC200N works ok for backsprings, then a Salt Urban or UKPK would be fantastic too.

I also like the idea which has been floated here before, of using the UKPK or Urban as a kind of Mule for new steels.
Last edited by Cambertree on Fri May 10, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i know i want to try a spyderco slipit. that is why i have an Urban Coyote and to also try the AEB-L steel on my to-get-list.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Spyderco’s execution of slipits certainly merits greater attention. As the silliness of “tactical” fades, so, too, may the knee-jerk insistence on locks.

I do like locks, but I have discovered Glesser magic in my UKPKs, Urbans, and Squeak. The Pingo, too, is mighty nice.

And, now that I’ve re-thought the Lil’ Native, I foresee getting the slipit version. Should be good for Europe if things don’t get totally absurd.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:05 pm
The Pingo was a Vox design, and that other one discontinued in 2017 with all the holes (name escapes me) was also a collab.
My brain isn't what it used to be... I actually own the Pingo and completely forgot it was a Vox/Ansø collab :eek: I would love if they got a hold of Jens Ansø and/or Jesper Voxnaes for another round, those two always do such wonderful work.

The one with the holes was called PITS. Really interesting design that I would love to get my hands on, but never did due to the anodized scales being very prone to snail trails (which I dislike quite a bit) and the presence of my old arch-nemesis N690Co. Still, if the right opportunity came along, I think I wouldn't be able to resist.

That Terzuola Slipit was news to me though, and made in Taiwan to boot! Nice looking model for sure. Not sure I would get one for myself, but I can see the appeal.

I figured that including a few pictures would cause no harm, the thread was looking a bit naked without them... Please indulge me :D
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mzen,

Thanx much for the kind words. The Golden Knife-makers are exceptional. I'll pass on your requests to management. The PITS is a heavy duty Slipit, designed by a Brit for the British market. Design is very good as is construction. We made both blue and natural versions and I would recommend that you snag one if you like Slippies. The HH exclusive, red G-10, UKPK. is very nice and I hope that they continue to make them. Created for the UK market, many have found their way outside the UK.

Thanx to all for your input and suggestions. When we first introduced Slipits, many thought we were nuts, but the genre has been steadily growing, and our long range vision seems to have been accurate. Personally, I'd like to see a UKPK in wood or stag with the latest CQI.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:24 am

The HH exclusive, red G-10, UKPK. is very nice and I hope that they continue to make them. Created for the UK market, many have found their way outside the UK.

When we first introduced Slipits, many thought we were nuts, but the genre has been steadily growing, and our long range vision seems to have been accurate.

sal

I ordered my first slippie, the Red HH UKPK so I am excited to see what all of the fuss is about, and to see if I can really live without a lock. Curious to see how it compares to my old SAKs. I plan on getting the AEB-L Urban as well if the UKPK is as good as everyone says!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I also think the interests in and market for slip joints is growing. Usually, when Great Eastern Cutlery releases a new pattern, they will be gone from the dealers’ shelves in a matter of days if not hours for short runs. Kind of like trying to get a new Spyderco knife like the Smock or Ikuchi when they were released.

While Great Eastern Cutlery is focused on quality, American traditional slip joints, I suspect there would be a place for Spyderco’s more contemporary designs and materials.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I missed the Terzuola slipit and would like a sprint with the latest cqi. Maybe a sprint steel like k390 or M4 would be nice.

We also have not seen a slip it Sage model yet. Maybe now is the time.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Ukpk in some nice stag, like how the older Queen stag was done, would be phenomenal.
Desert Ironwood UKPK would also be fantastic.
As would a bloodwood Ukpk.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Stag, drop point, 52100 ..... jobs a good ‘un.
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

sal wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:24 am
Personally, I'd like to see a UKPK in wood or stag with the latest CQI.

sal
A drop point UKPK in stag or wood (with bolsters)?
I have just imagined my new grail. The Sage 4 dressed in titanium and ironwood, or the Delica/Enduras in stag and dama bolsters show what an excellent job Spyderco would make of it. They're perfect templates to base it on.
Last edited by UrbanMoose on Wed May 15, 2019 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I really dig the blade shape of that Pits!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

NYC resident here, will take any slipjoint, preferably in a non stainless alternative steel! Thanks for the k390 urban! Also welcoming new designs!
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:17 pm
NYC resident here, will take any slipjoint, preferably in a non stainless alternative steel! Thanks for the k390 urban! Also welcoming new designs!

What's the deal with NYC? No locking knives aloud?