Poll: more CBBL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Offer new CBBL designs

Yes - please make more knives with the CBBL lock
73%
No - not interested in knife designs using the CBBL lock
27%

Total votes: 167

rybu0305

Poll: more CBBL

Post by rybu0305 »

Besides the beloved Manix there have not been a lot of knives released with this lock. I love the caged ball bearing lock. Who wants to see more of it?
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Evil D

Re: Poll: more CBBL

Post by Evil D »

I'm definitely interested but it seems to be a challenging lock to put into a design. I imagine it's also more expensive than other locks to produce. I remember when the Manix 2 came out it was really pushed as being the next best hard use lock, I'm surprised it hasn't been used more.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
attila

Post by attila »

I've been asking for more CBBL for a long time. I'm totally in.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

Definitely, they have a super nice self close and there is never the potential of having a weak detent.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Count me in as well. Manix 2 is one of my favorite designs and this is one of the reasons why.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

YES, absolutely! Had my Manix 2 LW not long enough to form a really long term based opinion, but from what I could experience I am quite sure the CBBL for me is ranking second right after my all time and forever favorite the backlock.

Especially I liked the ease of operation, even with gloves (compared to f.e. a comp. lock) and the very solid feel.

One con for me: As far as I am aware of, a knife featuring a CBBL by design always has to have some form of choil in the blade (in the part that folds in where the comp. lock sits in the handle). And while I sometimes don´t mind a choil, in some knives even began to like it, I am still not a real fan ofit
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Next to a well executed back lock, this is my favorite lock. I have long hoped for more knives with this lock. A Military with this lock would be amazing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I really like the CBBL on the Manix 2 and Manix LW. I'd be interested in more CBBL in the future.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

love to have it in a nice 3" size too.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:35 am

Yeah, a true 2.5-3" Mini Manix LW would be very cool. Especially in something like CRUWEAR. Or even better a Salt.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
David R

Post by David R »

I like this lock a lot, even in the un-caged version. The way the ball and spring control the closed tension and lock the blade is just the coolest design.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Agreed. It’s something I’d like to see more of. I like it on a bigger knife, because it helps get a nice grip for actuating the lock.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Manix2 is my first love so I can’t say no to CBBLs in other models. But what models? I would not be on board with CBBLizing the usual suspects, even though the Manix2 is a CBBLized Manix. :rolleyes:
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Actually, unless they make the spring tension a little less harsh, I won't be buying anything with the cbbl. My first Spyderco was the Manix, because I love the idea of the cbbl, but it ate apart the pads of my fingers when disengaging. I've since bought six different Manix's, some better than others, but all were still too strong.

What is it that shabazz says... It didn't bring me any joy to use. If they loosen the tension, somewhere in between where it is now, and the typical axis lock, I'd be all over any model that was produced with the cbbl. Then it would bring me joy.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I like the lock. BIg fan of the Manix, but I'd also like to see an option that carries a little smaller/slimmer in pocket. Due to the nature of the lock, though, that might be tough to do.
Tim
Ric

Post by Ric »

Mini Griptilian with Spydiehole.
Perfect knife but unfortunately not a real Spyderco.

3" Para-3-like would be awesome.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Just this morning I was thinking that I'd absolutely love a Native LW Maxamet with a CBBL. Basically a mini-manix.

I think Sal said there were difficulties fitting the CBBL into a smaller package though.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:04 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:35 am

Yeah, a true 2.5-3" Mini Manix LW would be very cool. Especially in something like CRUWEAR. Or even better a Salt.
Totally with you. But MAXAMET!

LC200N would be a great option too. If Spyderco adds another "stock option" steel to the s30v/s110v/(maxamet) line up, I'd like to see it be LC200N.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:54 pm

I think Sal said there were difficulties fitting the CBBL into a smaller package though.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)
I think that's true, especially into a NARROWER package resp. handle (EDIT: By that a mean not narrow like in slim, but like in reduced HEIGHT of the handle).. as far as I know a CBBL knife does require a choil in the blade (so the blade does not interfere with the CBBL in the handle when folded in).
Now imagine a very slim knife like lets say the Kapara, and give it a CBBL: IF there was space enough in the handle for a CBBL at all, the blade would have to feature a compared to it's overall height crazy deep choil probably...

But all I said here above is more or less just theoretical guessing to be honest. Don't have a CBBL knife at hand to check if I'm right.

Also I don't know if the CBBL itself could be "shrinked" to fit more handles... ?
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon May 13, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:05 am
I'm definitely interested but it seems to be a challenging lock to put into a design. I imagine it's also more expensive than other locks to produce. I remember when the Manix 2 came out it was really pushed as being the next best hard use lock, I'm surprised it hasn't been used more.
I’ve got half a design that uses the CBBL. I think it’s easier to design for than a liner/compression/back lock as the BB takes up all the slack in the design. There’s definitely a width issue though, a thinner knife would need a thinner cage and ball which would probably make the cage too weak.

The up front cost of the cage is probably the main issue. Knives that reuse that cage are probably inexpensive to make compared to other lock types. Need cage = new mold.