Cruwear What is the problem?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Cruwear What is the problem?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I now own a Military a PM2 and a Para3 in Cruwear. I missed out on all 3 during the initial release because I was ignorant of Cruwear and all 3 have cost me a bundle each!

This in all honesty pisses me off! Yet I am very glad to have them. :D

Dear Spyderco just what may I ask is the issue with releasing more designs in Cruwear anyway? Seriously S30V is not good enough anymore. Cruwear is a far better steel on so many ways.

A Stretch2 in Cruwear would solve the poor sales of the Stretch2.

In this year 2019 with it’s releases I am thinking what is going on? Super Delayed releases like the Parata, almost non exinsistant re-releases of certain models and very low dealer stock of Sprint runs looking at you Blade HQ M4.

Honestly 2018 was better. Not sure who is running things but might want to re evaluate things year to date. Have an awful feeling....
TomAiello

Re: Cruwear What is the problem?

Post by TomAiello »

For EDC folders, I'd personally prefer quite a few other steels (Maxamet, K390, s110v, ZDP) to Cruwear.

For me, Cruwear primarily shines in larger blades. I don't mind if Spyderco keeps Cruwear to dealer/distributor exclusives, honestly.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Seriously S30V is not good enough anymore.
Couldn't disagree more.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I feel like s30v primarily suffers from "latest shiny thing" issues. Since it's not the latest thing, people disregard it. It's really a perfectly fine steel for 95% of users in 95% of situations.

That's not to say we (most folks on this forum) don't want a bunch of other stuff, mostly out of sheer steel snobbery. ;)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm with you on needing more CPM-CRUWEAR in my life. Last year's CRUWEAR exclusives were disappointing in that they had smooth black scales and I hate smooth scales so I passed. If they would have been black Peel Ply G10 I would have bought both the PM2 and the Para 3.

While I don't see CRUWEAR happening in the Stretch due to importing (maybe the similar Japanese SRS-15 is a possibility?) into Japan, I am with you on them being able to push sales of less popular Golden models by throwing some CRUWEAR in them. The Manix Backlock in CRUWEAR would have sold better than S30V in my opinion. It was a niche model and a niche steel like CRUWEAR that is suited to a larger folder would have driven sales. I would love to see a dealer "revive" this model with a CRUWEAR exclusive. I think they would have zero problem selling out a small run of these.

I would love to see a CRUWEAR sprint series ASAP in the Gray Peel Ply G10 with some of the other Golden models like the Manix XL, CQI Military, Native, Native LW, and Manix LW.

I have to assume that at least one of the rumored 20+ Para 3 exclusives in the works will be CRUWEAR as well for how much CRUWEAR was being discussed around the time the Para 3 LW was released.

CRUWEAR NATION RAISE UP!!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I still want a back lock Cruwear Spyderco. That Native Chief is sure beautiful. :)

Joe
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Guys, since my steel knowledge and -experience is rather limited compared to most of yours (and that's no "humblebrag", but just a fact), and I never had a Cruwear-, but sure S30V knives (and I'm totally fine with that steel):

Let's say, Cruwear and S 30V were both similarly new steels to Spyderco-knives, and let's say each knife that came in Cruwear would also come in S30V (so the "new-and-shiny-" vs "old-and-boring-" factor was eliminated):

What would be in-use-really-noticeable-real-world advantages of Cruwear over S30V? Or, to put it better, what would be really noticeable DIFFERENCES that maybe would be a pro for one, and a con for the other person?

I know a bit already about Cruwear of course, and could do a search myself to get further Information about it (and I will later), but no time right now So maybe someone could be so kind and teach a bit? :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat May 11, 2019 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 am
Guys, since I my steel knowledge and -experience is rather limited compared to most of yours (and that's no "humblebrag", but just a fact), and I never had a Cruwear-, but sure S30V knives (and I'm totally fine with that steel):

Let's say, Cruwear and S 30V were both similarly new steels to Spyderco-knives, and let's say each knife that came in Cruwear would also come in S30V (so the "new-and-shiny-" vs "old-and-boring-" factor was eliminated):

What would be in-use-really-noticeable-real-world advantages of Cruwear over S30V? Or, to put it better, what would be really noticeable DIFFERENCES that maybe would be a pro for one, and a con for the other person?

I know a bit already about Cruwear of course, and could do a search myself to get further Information about it (and I will later), but no time right now So maybe someone could be so kind and teach a bit? :)
In normal EDC use the only differences you're likely to observe is cruwear rusts more easily and S30V takes a bit more effort to sharpen. The toughness shouldn't come into play for most folks considering these are 3" folders, not choppers.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 am
In normal EDC use the only differences you're likely to observe is cruwear rusts more easily and S30V takes a bit more effort to sharpen. The toughness shouldn't come into play for most folks considering these are 3" folders, not choppers.
Thanks, that's about what I figured from having used (and still using) S30V knives, but only reading random stuff about Cruwear, plus one or two (not really informative) comparison write ups.

So I am really not entitled to give any personal opinion here, other than that S30V never disappoints me, is easy enough to sharpen on my basic Sharpmaker, holds an edge very well, and has no chipping issues in my use.

So if Cruwear is not noticeable better in that capacities, but less rustproof and more expensive, I personally probably won't need it...

That said: I absolutely grant everyone who likes that steel a whole bunch of new Cruwear models!! :)
It's just: If Cruwear does not have huge advantages over S30 V when used in a folder, but does rust faster: I personally would not like to see Spyderco REPLACING all the standard S30V models with the same models but in Cruwear...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Cruwear is not corrosion resistant enough to replace s30v and it does not offer enough performance advantage anyway. The main advantage of Cruwear over s30v in a folder is it is slightly easier to bring it to peak sharpness and it takes a more aggressive edge at any given grit. As vivi said, the increase in toughness will go unnoticed for most folder usage. Wear resistance is similar to s30v with s30v possibly having a slight advantage. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Cruwear and would love to see more folders offered in this steel, I just wouldn't want it to replace s30v.

I don't make a habit of second guessing Spyderco's business practices but I do think they missed an opportunity a couple of years ago with this steel. When Maxamet was announced as a regular production steel and Cruwear came in a couple of sprints, I feel like they might have got that backwards. Maxamet would have made for great sprint and Cruwear would make an outstanding regular production option. A balanced steel like Cruwear that offers some toughness and sharpening advantages and still retains a high level of corrosion resistance would be a great way to satisfy a lot of folks tool steel appetite without the risk of using a difficult to machine, rust prone steel for regular production. What do I know though? That's why I love hanging out on the forums. I can talk about all my big ideas and opinions without having to put my money up behind them. haha.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:30 am
Cruwear is not corrosion resistant enough to replace s30v and it does not offer enough performance advantage anyway. The main advantage of Cruwear over s30v in a folder is it is slightly easier to bring it to peak sharpness and it takes a more aggressive edge at any given grit. As vivi said, the increase in toughness will go unnoticed for most folder usage. Wear resistance is similar to s30v with s30v possibly having a slight advantage. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Cruwear and would love to see more folders offered in this steel, I just wouldn't want it to replace s30v.
Thanks, that's additional (to Vivis) valuable info for me!
And again: Im very happy with S30V as a main higher-end steel (not highEST end nowadays probably, but those would not be for me anyway, as soon as they get noticeable harder to sharpen than S30V or HAP40).
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Vivi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:17 pm
Couldn't disagree more.
I 2nd this. Say in another 5 years, something like Cruwear, M4, M390 becomes the standard steel from Spyderco...will everyone complain that's no longer good enough because something new and fancy has now been released?? But, I've come to expect to see posts like this on a daily basis now and it's tiring to even try to debate or argue that S30V is a fine steel and shouldn't hinder someone from buying a particular model.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I’ll take a Cruwear Native Chief as well. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I very much prefer cruwear to s30v, I’m happy to take the sharpening and toughness benefits in exchange for less corrosion resistance. I vacillate between my cruwear and M4 para3s for edc. Would love to have both those steels in the pm2 for weekends & woods, but rex45 and 52100 do also satisfy :D
bearfacedkiller

I don’t think Cruwear should replace S30V but I do think Cruwear could be used in some regular production model. The backlock Manix or Shaman could have been good choices.

I personally like S30V and don’t think that it needs to be replaced but if that were to happen I think M390 or its equivalents are the most likely.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:20 am
I don’t think Cruwear should replace S30V but I do think Cruwear could be used in some regular production model. The backlock Manix or Shaman could have been good choices.

I personally like S30V and don’t think that it needs to be replaced but if that were to happen I think M390 or its equivalents are the most likely.
You would like M390 over XHP? I’ve no experience with either, but both are highly regarded here.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Spyderco releases TONS of knives, and they take great pains to make sure that the knives are of very high quality and are produced, distributed, and marketed in such a way as to generate the profit that keeps the company growing through time. When I think about the sheer number of Sprints and Exclusives, never mind the giant catalog of stock models, I'm genuinely astounded at the level of output Spyderco achieves. They must have an army of engineers! That said, they can't always satisfy every wish for a wide range of models in what is essentially a "niche" steel; certainly my favorite steel is not very widely represented across the catalog at all, but I'm cool with that. I try to be patient as well. I think we're rather fortunate that a company inclined to experiment with so many different alloys exists at all. Perhaps the best that we can do is to use this forum to express our recommendations like "please more Cruwear!" Or "please more 52100!" (really, please lol)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:15 am
Vivi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:17 pm
Couldn't disagree more.
I 2nd this. Say in another 5 years, something like Cruwear, M4, M390 becomes the standard steel from Spyderco...will everyone complain that's no longer good enough because something new and fancy has now been released?? But, I've come to expect to see posts like this on a daily basis now and it's tiring to even try to debate or argue that S30V is a fine steel and shouldn't hinder someone from buying a particular model.
99% of end users wouldn't know the difference between S30V and Cruwear if the blade wasn't marked (except noted above about rust issues ) on a folding knife. I usually just ignore these type of posts Rick...especially when they start talking about what's best for the company. :rolleyes:

James
bearfacedkiller

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:27 am

You would like M390 over XHP? I’ve no experience with either, but both are highly regarded here.
I wasn’t stating my preference. I just think that if there were to be a change it would be in that direction.

I like S30V, XHP and M390 all about equally. They are all great steels.
-Darby
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:30 am
I don't make a habit of second guessing Spyderco's business practices but I do think they missed an opportunity a couple of years ago with this steel. When Maxamet was announced as a regular production steel and Cruwear came in a couple of sprints, I feel like they might have got that backwards. Maxamet would have made for great sprint and Cruwear would make an outstanding regular production option. A balanced steel like Cruwear that offers some toughness and sharpening advantages and still retains a high level of corrosion resistance would be a great way to satisfy a lot of folks tool steel appetite without the risk of using a difficult to machine, rust prone steel for regular production.

I think replacing Maxamet with Cruwear in regular production is a great idea. That would pretty much much cover all the bases in the popular Golden models. S30V for general all around users, S110V for those whose want/need high edge retention, and Cruwear for tool steel fans.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)