Dragonflies are like popcorn

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Dragonflies are like popcorn

Post by Doc Dan »

Nobody can eat just one piece of popcorn. Once it is in front of you, you will keep popping those kernels into your mouth and eat more than you realize.

Spyderco Dragonflies are like that, for me. I can't seem to stop buying them. I just bought another one in H1! I can't stop! I now have 7 of these little knives. Why do I need 7? I do not need 7 of anything (except underwear).

I have a Nishijin ZDP-189, a G10, 4 lightweights in VG-10, and a light weight Salt in H1. The Dragonfly is not even my favorite small Spyderco (though it is near the top). I like the Urban LW and Chaparral better. But, I cannot stop buying these things. Sal must put something in them to make them addicting.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Re: Dragonflies are like popcorn

Post by steelcity16 »

I know. The H1 PE was my first Spydie. Going to grab an orange VG-10 here soon. Hoping to see some different solid blade steels like K390, M390, Elmax, AEB-L, and LC200N soon. I'm not into laminated blades or I would have bought all of the prior 3 sprint runs. I would also buy a blacked out H1 Salt in PE and SE in a heartbeart!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think I have the same, or more. I think we’re sick. And soon there’ll be more flavours.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Yep they're the Lays potato chips of the knife world. Betcha can't have just one! I think I have 5 at the moment. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Never had one, but the WC is a must buy.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I bought a PE AUS8 or VG10 one years ago, found the ergos did not work for me, and gave it away to a family member.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc, though I don't own a DFly, I know what you mean:

I once had to decide between a Chap lw and a DFly for a small IWB trail-running and throw-it -unclipped-in-zippered-pocket-knife (could get only one, not both):

It was clear very soon, that the Chap would be the much better decision for my personal general preferences and needs and the intedet purpose. So I went with it.

Still, though knowing I really did not need it in any way or weiredly even should not like it theoretically concerning size, actual edge and so on, I somehow almost could not get the DFly go... literally waited till the last days of the return time period to finally still send it back.

Ever since I wanted one, though not really knowing why. Now with the upcoming Wharnie it's finally clear I'll have to pull the trigger eventually. Though I hope for an orange one. That color and also the WC bladeshape fit a very small folder perfectly imho.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:48 pm
It was clear very soon, that the Chap would be the much better decision for my personal general preferences and needs and the intedet purpose. So I went with it.
i honestly because you love the chap so much i am looking at it even though it is backlock. i would just to see all of the blade steels in a df. like how we have s110v and maxamet now it many production knives why not the df.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:03 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:48 pm
i honestly because you love the chap so much i am looking at it even though it is backlock. i would just to see all of the blade steels in a df. like how we have s110v and maxamet now it many production knives why not the df.
I'd honestly recommend the Chap to practically anyone who loves knives, but since I know that you don't like backlocks: Please keep in mind, that some people (even some who like backlocks generally) find the Chaps lockbar hard and even uncomfortable to depress!!

I don't have that issue with mine, but then I am very used to backlocks, my fingers are probably quite strong and have some callus from climbing and playing guitar, and even I have to admit, that probably out of all my backlocks the Chap's lock is the "hardest" to operate (though still no problem in any way).

That said: There is an easy fix for that (and several people on this forum did it with obviously great success). Moving the spring of the lock a bit to the front (like 3 mm or so).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:00 pm
I bought a PE AUS8 or VG10 one years ago, found the ergos did not work for me, and gave it away to a family member.
Since I mentioned the Chap lw anyway already:
Vivi, did you ever give it a try? For me it's somehow the "DFly for big hands" (so even more so for you than for me), the blade is even thinner and slicier than the DFlys, and CTS HXP great steel (especially for the price) as far as I can tell with my limited steel-knowledge.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Back to the DFly:

Doc (and others), do you think the blades of the upcoming Wharnie and the regular DFly will be interchangable? I most likely think so. But theoretically it could be, that the Wharnie blade requires more/deeper space towards the tip inside the handle when folded in (since having no belly) and the Wharnie handle is specifically shaped for that?!

If interchangable, I could purchase an upcoming black handled Wharnie DFly plus an orange regular DFly, swap the blades, have an orange Wharnie and sell the then black regular one again...(Forum member Ric suggested that to me in a pm, thanks again, Ric!!)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:21 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:00 pm
Since I mentioned the Chap lw anyway already:
Vivi, did you ever give it a try? For me it's somehow the "DFly for big hands" (so even more so for you than for me), the blade is even thinner and slicier than the DFlys, and CTS HXP great steel (especially for the price) as far as I can tell with my limited steel-knowledge.
I have not. I used to own and EDC the UKPK, Caly 3, Native etc. That was as small as I ever cared to go, and these days I'm of the philosophy that I'd rather carry one big knife than two knives. The Police 4 feels made for my hand and anything smaller feels like a compromise.

I hear good things about the cutting performance of that model, so between that and the nice blade to handle ratio I can understand why fans of that size like the Chap. I'd certainly try one out if I carried smaller folders, being a fan of backlocks, thin FFG blades, etc.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:16 pm
my fingers are probably quite strong
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:18 am
Wartstein wrote:
my fingers are probably quite strong
Man, I am honored by finally having made it into the "bloke-joke-material-provider-league"!!! (Was about time!)
:D :D
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Wartstein wrote:
I'd honestly recommend the Chap to practically anyone who loves knives, but since I know that you don't like backlocks: Please keep in mind, that some people (even some who like backlocks generally) find the Chaps lockbar hard and even uncomfortable to depress!!

I don't have that issue with mine, but then I am very used to backlocks, my fingers are probably quite strong and have some callus from climbing and playing guitar, and even I have to admit, that probably out of all my backlocks the Chap's lock is the "hardest" to operate (though still no problem in any way).

That said: There is an easy fix for that (and several people on this forum did it with obviously great success). Moving the spring of the lock a bit to the front (like 3 mm or so).
So I should prob just stick with getting a brouwer for me. Thanks wartstein.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:46 am
Wartstein wrote:

So I should prob just stick with getting a brouwer for me. Thanks wartstein.
If you really don't want to give backlocks another try generally, probably yes (so: Brouwer instead of Chap)

But other than that: No, imho.. ;)

Chap: MUCH shorter and lighter when closed, but having the same amount of edge as the brouwer. Much thinner, but still strong blade (perfect for a smaller knife). And maybe one of the best "bang for the buck" Spydies... CTS HXP and amazing fit and finish for that price is hard to beat..

Again, if you do the "spring mod", the backlock should be easy to operate. But, sure, it will still be a backlock.. my favorite, but not yours...;)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah, I hear ya Doc. I have had seven Dragonflies as well - although I've gifted away the Tattoo and the G10 model, which I picked up while in Japan.

I have the VG10 model, which I put some Koa wood scales on; also the Superblue, HAP40, ZDP189, and SE H1 versions.

It's a superb knife, one of Sal's perfect designs I reckon. There's not a single thing I'd change on it. One of the features I enjoy compared to some other Spydie models is the distinctive swedge, which reduces blade drag when cutting through thick and/or binding material. You can get a surprising amount of work done with that small blade.

I have pairs in different steels of a few other Spyderco models which I enjoy (like the PM2, Delica, Endura, UKPK and Manix 2), but the Dragonfly stands alone as the only model which I've been compelled to try out so many different versions of.

My most used one is probably the ZDP189 version.

I also like the K390 Urban a little bit more, but probably favour the Dragonfly over the Chaparral.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Funny this popped up, as I absolutely love my only model (Vtoku2) and just yesterday was on Ebay looking at a few others...because the same thing, such a great little knife and typically under $80 or so. I'm actually watching a couple ZDP189's as we speak.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:46 pm
Back to the DFly:

Doc (and others), do you think the blades of the upcoming Wharnie and the regular DFly will be interchangable? I most likely think so. But theoretically it could be, that the Wharnie blade requires more/deeper space towards the tip inside the handle when folded in (since having no belly) and the Wharnie handle is specifically shaped for that?!

If interchangable, I could purchase an upcoming black handled Wharnie DFly plus an orange regular DFly, swap the blades, have an orange Wharnie and sell the then black regular one again...(Forum member Ric suggested that to me in a pm, thanks again, Ric!!)

If anything is different it'll be the inside of the handle at the end where the tip of the blade nests inside. If the standard handle doesn't work I'd bet they used the hawkbill handle since they already have the molds for it and it's more accommodating in that area.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Older pic, but you know where I stand :)