Where is the physically safest place to be in the world?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Where is the physically safest place to be in the world?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

When I say safe, I mean in regards to natural and human made disasters. Obviously, if the very Earth itself were to explode or implode, or, horrible things began raining down from space, that would be different, but when it comes to human made disasters such as out of control viruses, nuclear exchanges, electromagnetic pulses, economic and societal collapses, and, when it comes to natural disasters, such as super volcanoes, tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes and tornadoes, and those things, where would you estimate the physically safest place to be in the world is?

I asked this to someone once and they claimed the safest place would be in the US Rocky Mountains, or, a place like Michigan's Upper Peninsula, because these are away from major volcanoes, earthquake faults, large cities and concentrations of people, oceans, etc.

Also, what kind of house or building would be the best "emergency fortress" type of home in such a place?

Here are some interesting comments related to this:

https://www.citylab.com/environment/201 ... ters/6561/

https://www.quora.com/Where-in-the-worl ... arthquakes
Naperville

Re: Where is the physically safest place to be in the world?

Post by Naperville »

I may have more to say on this topic later on - on the 7th. I just happen to be up late and see this question and had the data to pass on. I DO NOT agree with the list unless it means that these native people are safe within their native countries. Certainly some of these countries might take offense if people bought up land and planned to retire there in great numbers because they thought that it was safe. You would have to look at a number of factors to see where it would be safe for YOU to move too.

Global Peace Index 2018, which ranks major nations around the world by how safe they are.

The report ranked 163 countries based on how peaceful they are. The ranking is determined by 23 factors, which include murder rate, political terror, and deaths from internal conflict.

The Peace Index ranks countries from high to low, so the lower the number, the safer the country. Check out the list below.

31. Latvia — 1.689
30. Spain — 1.678
29. Botswana — 1.659
28. Chile — 1.649
27. Croatia — 1.639
26. Bulgaria — 1.635
25. Malaysia — 1.619
24. Romania — 1.596
23. The Netherlands — 1.574
22. Slovakia — 1.568
21. Belgium — 1.560
20. Mauritius — 1.548
19. Bhutan — 1.545
17. Hungary — 1.531
17. Germany — 1.531
16. Norway — 1.519
15. Finland — 1.506
14. Sweden — 1.502
13. Australia — 1.435
12. Switzerland — 1.407
11. Slovenia — 1.396
10. Ireland — 1.393
9. Japan — 1.391
8. Singapore — 1.382
7. Czech Republic — 1.381
6. Canada — 1.372
5. Denmark — 1.353
4. Portugal — 1.318
3. Austria — 1.274
2. New Zealand — 1.192
1. Iceland — 1.096
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

... and if you consider also the knife-law-situation, Austria is on top!
SEF, hurry up with your migration. :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

In bed, with the covers pulled over your head.

It's just science.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don't know about where the physically safest place would be. You should also include crime among the human-made disasters. You could live in the most idyllic-seeming places in 'The American Heartland' or in a wilderness area away from big cities and still fall victim to a crime. You could also live in a notoriously crime-ridden area in a major city and live a lifetime in relative peace. It depends. I had a late cousin who, due to emotional neglect in his family, moved to Oakland, CA, an area often notorious for crimes, and lived his life there for decades in peace, beloved by those who knew him, until he passed from cancer.

I knew a woman back in the '90s who was desperate to get out of CA for fear of earthquakes. She ended up moving right into "Tornado Alley", which experiences more destructive tornadoes every year than CA experiences destructive earthquakes. You could move to Wyoming near Yellowstone park (or hundreds or thousands of miles in each direction from it) and run the inevitable risk of the "super volcano" erupting in your lifetime. Washington, Oregon and Alaska have equal or greater risks of earthquakes as CA. In other parts of the country there is the New Madrid Fault. In the south, southeast, and eastern US there are hurricanes. In many states there are extreme snowstorms in the winter, and in others, extreme fire danger in the summer.

Luck of the draw as well as daily habits and awareness are at least as big a factor in personal safety as your physical location, IMO.

I listened to a guest on an alternative radio show who recommended Americans permanently relocate to Brazil's rainforest and establish colonies for ex-pat Americans, "to avoid the imminent fall of democracy." He claimed that's where he and a group of selected Americans were already living (in an undisclosed location, or course). Does he really think all Americans should drop everything and move to the rainforest? And what would Brazilians think about it? Even if it were possible and practical, all it would accomplish with all these relocated Americans is transplant all the same American problems to another location, as well as create friction with the locals. In a worst case scenario, you'd have other Jim Joneses and Jonestowns.

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Safest place? Between your ears. There you can fight back the demons that make such questions appear more insistent on their escape to the Internet.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Spartan J

Post by Spartan J »

New Zealand is farther away from everything than anyone.It's the safest during nuke exchanges and easy to quarantine against all the dangers,if you can tolerate the present government.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

In my arms sweet SEF, in my arms.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Peter1960 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:27 am
Second that! SEF, come and join us in Austria! Made it third on the list, is imho the most beautiful country in the world, PLUS: You can basically carry any knife you like... :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:10 pm
When I say safe, I mean in regards to natural and human made disasters.
Malaysia has no earthquakes, hurricanes, or tornadoes. It does not have tsunamis. It is locked in by Thailand to the north, the Island of Borneo to the East, and wrapped by Indonesia SW, S, and SE.

There may be other nations like this, as well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:04 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Malaysia has no earthquakes, hurricanes, or tornadoes. It does not have tsunamis. It is locked in by Thailand to the north, the Island of Borneo to the East, and wrapped by Indonesia SW, S, and SE.
Doc, I’m not sure this is good advice as you may not be aware that SEF makes his own knife scales from Duct Tape.

Now, I’m not certain but I believe heat and humidity of the tropical climates you suggest could well compromise the integrity of Duct Tape rendering his knives unserviceable and leave our good friend SEF susceptible and defenceless to attack by Mangrove Pit Vipers, Sumatran Cobras, Saltwater Crocodiles, Black Leopards and Orangutans. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:34 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:04 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Doc, I’m not sure this is good advice as you may not be aware that SEF makes his own knife scales from Duct Tape.

Now, I’m not certain but I believe heat and humidity of the tropical climates you suggest could well compromise the integrity of Duct Tape rendering his knives unserviceable and leave our good friend SEF susceptible and defenceless to attack by Mangrove Pit Vipers, Sumatran Cobras, Saltwater Crocodiles, Black Leopards and Orangutans. :eek:
Nah. Duct tape will survive anywhere but in an open flame...and that is debatable. Durians would be his biggest threat. Pee yew.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:39 pm
Durians would be his biggest threat. Pee yew.
Ah hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :)

They grow them up North here. :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vartine wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:23 pm
New Zealand is my dream country. Very friendly, safe and diverse. I hope the latest incident of bombing will not affect its peaceful image.
If I wasn't living here in the USA then New Zealand would be my personal favorite second pick. I get kind of worried at times because the USA has had a lot of profound changes over the years and most of them not good either.

I've got to admit that after looking at that chart that ICELAND looks kind of intriguing. But I've never been all that fond of extremely cold weather. But a very good friend of mine was stationed in ICELAND when he was in the US Navy for about 3 years and he told me he really enjoyed his time there. He said the food was great and the scenery was also great as he explored a lot of the country side. I think I remember he said he was in the town of Keflavik if my memory serves me well. That was back in the 1980s.

But New Zealand catches my eye because of the fantastic scenery and the people I've met from there seem very friendly. As well as the great Spyderville Brothers we have here on the Forum from New Zealand as well :)
Last edited by JD Spydo on Wed May 08, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderEdgeForever

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:51 am
Peter1960 wrote:
Second that! SEF, come and join us in Austria! Made it third on the list, is imho the most beautiful country in the world, PLUS: You can basically carry any knife you like... :D
That sounds very promising! Thank you! :)
SpyderEdgeForever

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:15 pm
vartine wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:23 pm
New Zealand is my dream country. Very friendly, safe and diverse. I hope the latest incident of bombing will not affect its peaceful image.
If I wasn't living here in the USA then New Zealand would be my personal favorite second pick. I get kind of worried at times because the USA has had a lot of profound changes over the years and most of them not good either.

I've got to admit that after looking at that chart that ICELAND looks kind of intriguing. But I've never been all the fond of extremely cold weather. But a very good Friend of mine was stationed in ICELAND when he was in the US Navy for about 3 years and he told me he really enjoyed his time there. He said the food was great and the scenery was also great as he explored a lot of the country side. I think I remember he said he was in the town of Keflavik if my memory serves me well. That was back in the 1980s.

But New Zealand catches my eye because of the fantastic scenery and the people I've met from there seem very friendly.
They filmed the "Lord of the Rings" movie series in NZ. How difficult would it be for someone to find a nice deep cave in one of those mountain ranges and carve themselves a house? Seems very stable.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
New Zealand catches my eye because of the ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:51 am
Peter1960 wrote:
Second that! SEF, come and join us in Austria! Made it third on the list, is imho the most beautiful country in the world, PLUS: You can basically carry any knife you like... :
That sounds very promising! Thank you! :)
So? When shall I pick you up at Vienna International Airport? :D ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I was going to say, Austria seems to be another country that is safe from all but snow avalanches. Plus, they do not have durians there.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050