I like the Para 3 LW...but...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: I like the Para 3 LW...but...

Post by Tucson Tom »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:10 am

Also, earlier on this thread I stated that for example I really want to get a Shaman, despite I´d prefer it coming with a backlock!

You missed the boat with the Manix Backlock ! There you have the big stout blade of the Shaman with a backlock. Some work with sandpaper and you could have contoured scales too!

The Shaman is a great knife. If it was a little bigger and heavier it would be perfect. I find myself carrying mine an awful lot ever since I got it.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:40 pm
A number of things here make no sense to me. This pinching business for example. The compression lock does act like it is going to pinch you, but it never does and can't. It just closes down to a certain gap and stops. Or are the complainers total sissies with hands like little girls?

And I don't get all the fanfare about backlocks. Backlocks are proven to be among the strongest locks when open, but a compression lock is a marvel of engineering, and certainly strong enough for any reasonable use -- even unreasonable use. And a compression lock is far more pleasant to manipulate.

But I am no fan of the Para 3 -- the blade is just too small for my taste, so you guys can change the lock or do whatever you like and I won't stand in the way.
Guess I'm just a sissy boy then!

It pinches my hand when I open it slow with my thumb instead of flicking it open.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I don’t seem to get the pinch but heard about it enough to believe it’s an issue for some. I don’t believe you should have to learn to open a knife. It should be second nature.
I love the para 3 as it is, but would buy a back lock version. Was interested in the manix back lock but the manix is just a little too big for regular legal carry in my area. And I dislike the native. Prefer the caly or para 3. They are not the same.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:40 pm
?
I don't get all the fanfare about backlocks. Backlocks are proven to be among the strongest locks when open, but a compression lock is a marvel of engineering, and certainly strong enough for any reasonable use -- even unreasonable use. And a compression lock is far more pleasant to manipulate.
backlocks keep folding knives closed in my pocket. compression locks don't.

I'm more concerned more about not getting stabbed by my EDC than how fun it is to fiddle with.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:10 am

You missed the boat with the Manix Backlock ! There you have the big stout blade of the Shaman with a backlock. Some work with sandpaper and you could have contoured scales too!

The Shaman is a great knife. If it was a little bigger and heavier it would be perfect. I find myself carrying mine an awful lot ever since I got it.
Theoretically you are right and thanks for the suggestion!.. Still, and I can´t fully explain it myself, while I like the overall "Shaman-package" I do not like the "Manix package" (regardless which lock, and NOT valid for the XL, which I absolutely have to try).

One reason: While having virtually the same closed length, the Shaman offers 5 mm more actual edge than the Manix (egde 3.12 Shaman, 2.92 Manix). That may sound like not much, but for me it makes a real difference.
And, while the Shaman is a bit heavier than the Manix BL, it is an overall slimmer package.

The bladestock of both could be thinner for my taste. 3mm instead of 3.7, that would make for an AWSOME slicing geometry when you add the height of the blades...

Whyever, despite I prefer backlocks by a lot over comp locks, still I´d take a Shaman over a Manix backlock...

My dream Manix would be: The XL / featuring a backlock / in the same LW version as the regular Manix comes... ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed May 08, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post, sorry
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Interesting thread. At one time or another I have had every Spyderco lock version. I learned to operate them all and didn’t think much about the goodness or otherwise of each. In my mind they were just different and effective.

I believe conversations like this converge around the extremes. Some compression locks may open in a pocket. How many? We don’t know. Some back locks may do that also. How many? We don’t know.

Anecdotal stories of issues have to be taken as just that, anecdotal.

I also enjoy traditional slip joints. The same kinds of discussions continue around spring strength. “Make them stronger on this model or I won’t buy one.” “The pill is a nail-breaker. I won’t buy one; they are flawed.”

Welcome to the world of knife nuts.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:22 am

That says it all... ;)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:28 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:22 am

That says it all... ;)
3RD
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
tangent

Post by tangent »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:38 pm

I absolutely respect your opinion, but it still is, well, "just" an opinion ;) :

Honestly and without any doubt, for me personally it is the other way round and a back lock more fun and more satisfying to manipulate than a comp. lock.
Could be, cause I am really used to and really "well trained" on backlocks.
But to give just one example: When releasing the lock, I really prefer to place my thumb on the large, very well accessable area of a lockback instead of pinching the small one of a comp. lock with my index finger.

Still, I second that the comp. lock is an ingenious design by itself and undoubtedly strong enough.
i am ok that you and vivi like backlocks. good for you guys that you found something you like and enjoy. my frustration comes into play when you have a whole bunch of backlock ppl trying to change a knife that i like because they feel all knives have to be backlock so they can have them. if the only lock i cant stand is a back lock and i am ok with anyother lock then i want it to be made in a more recent lock type. there are so many backlock spydercos do not take the only ones i will buy and change them into backlocks only. if the ppl that like backlocks would back off and just let whatever lock is on there as ok.

to the op if you want a para 3 lockback, you are talking about a native 5. dont change the good lock and great knife on the para to have just another native alike.
LOL, I'm not trying to change the Para 3...only thought it would be cool to have a back lock option. You know, like they do with some of their models?

An no, the Para 3 in a back lock is NOT a Native 5. I have a Native 5 LW and the Para 3 feels much better and different to me than the Native 5.

Funny how some of you get so worked up when there is talk about a knife...it's just a knife. I'd like to have the option of a back lock...but it's not gonna determine my ultimate level of happiness or anything. Sheesh. :D
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:09 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:51 pm
My Manix/es may be exceptions to the rule, but they have felt like gritty Glock Gen 1 triggers with springs from a Harley Electra glide.. I just can't believe they *have to* be that strong.. I have also cut myself in the web of my thumb one-hand closing them, so needless to say they don't score high on my list.
I have no problems with, and def. prefer the "naked" ball lock of the D'Allara and Poliwog.
Other than a dislike of CBBL i don't really have a preference. It depends on the knife. I have favorites with all kinds of locking system, only none CBBL :)
Had my Manix only for a short time, sold it for other reasons but really liked the CBBL. Especially that it felt stronger, more durable and less likely to open in the pocket than a BM axxis lock (as a matter of fact the Omega springs on my BM Minigrip broke twice).

I am courious, so may I ask: How did you cut yourself in the THUMB by closing the Manix one handed?! I can't really see that happening, unless you did not cut the thumb with the blade, but ... the spring or something?!?
Hope this explains my Manix woes

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:48 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
My Manix/es may be exceptions to the rule, but they have felt like gritty Glock Gen 1 triggers with springs from a Harley Electra glide.. I just can't believe they *have to* be that strong.. I have also cut myself in the web of my thumb one-hand closing them, so needless to say they don't score high on my list.
I have no problems with, and def. prefer the "naked" ball lock of the D'Allara and Poliwog.
Other than a dislike of CBBL i don't really have a preference. It depends on the knife. I have favorites with all kinds of locking system, only none CBBL :)
Had my Manix only for a short time, sold it for other reasons but really liked the CBBL. Especially that it felt stronger, more durable and less likely to open in the pocket than a BM axxis lock (as a matter of fact the Omega springs on my BM Minigrip broke twice).

I am courious, so may I ask: How did you cut yourself in the THUMB by closing the Manix one handed?! I can't really see that happening, unless you did not cut the thumb with the blade, but ... the spring or something?!?

Thanx, I see!! As Non English native speaker I did not get that WEB of the thumb is NOT the actual thumb... ;)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'm not a native english speaker either.. :) I am also not sure that it's called 'web'. Anyway, the pic kinda says it all
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:48 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:

Larry, have you ever tried this unlocking method?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hl3n-BtLoaI&t=7m12s
:unicorn
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:33 pm
I'm not a native english speaker either.. :) I am also not sure that it's called 'web'. Anyway, the pic kinda says it all
I'm born and raised in the US and I've never heard that part of the palm called a "web" either. I always heard of the skin between your thumb and index finger called the web. I was just as confused as you guys.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:29 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
I'm born and raised in the US and I've never heard that part of the palm called a "web" either. I always heard of the skin between your thumb and index finger called the web. I was just as confused as you guys.
Yep.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

I'm liking the Para 3 LW so far. There's a bit of lock stick compared to my g10 version, but not too bad. The bd1n steel seems pretty good so far. I stropped the factory edge with .5 micron diamond and it's now hair splitting sharp :)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
Indeed. I would call the circled area in the picture "the base of the thumb" maybe. But a picture is worth a dozen words.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:17 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
Indeed. I would call the circled area in the picture "the base of the thumb" maybe. But a picture is worth a dozen words.
That makes sense to me! Thanx for teaching me (non native speaker) better English (and I mean it)!