I like the Para 3 LW...but...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: I like the Para 3 LW...but...

Post by Sharp Guy »

Cscottsss wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:40 pm
I like the Para 3 too and just got a lightweight yesterday to add to my humble Para 3 collection. I will say that is one complaint I have is the "pinch" from the lock, but I can live with it........
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never been able to figure out how you guys are getting pinched by the comp locks.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:24 pm
Cscottsss wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:40 pm
I like the Para 3 too and just got a lightweight yesterday to add to my humble Para 3 collection. I will say that is one complaint I have is the "pinch" from the lock, but I can live with it........
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never been able to figure out how you guys are getting pinched by the comp locks.

If I open my Para 3 via the "slow roll" using the thumb hole, my index finger is instinctively wrapped around the knife directly on top of the locking mechanism. When the blade locks open, the lock bar slides over to the right, pinching the bit of finger meat that was pushed down into the groove. It doesn't happen every time and it is easy to avoid if you think about it. Or you can train your muscle memory to modify your grip slightly while opening. But it does happen to me sometimes when I open the knife. It has never been painful enough for me to want to get rid of a knife though. Just a very minor annoyance that happens on rare occasions.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue May 07, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Not sure what changed, but after years of too many knives I wish more of them were backlocks. I agree that the comp lock can be awkward, especially on smaller knives. Rhino is a good example (liner lock woulda been perfect IMHO), and perhaps the reason the Lil Native was released with an alternative. Regardless, I really appreciate the design of a good comp lock.

Since the Manix2 Backlock was released, I've been hoping for a linerless PM2 Backlock, but in a thinner stock(Skinny), rather than thicker. I think they could do this with the Para3 as well and both would likely be better sellers than the Manix throwback.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:31 pm
Since the Manix2 Backlock was released, I've been hoping for a linerless PM2 Backlock, but in a thinner stock(Skinny), rather than thicker.
That is a truly great proposal imho in every aspect!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

My Manix/es may be exceptions to the rule, but they have felt like gritty Glock Gen 1 triggers with springs from a Harley Electra glide.. I just can't believe they *have to* be that strong.. I have also cut myself in the web of my thumb one-hand closing them, so needless to say they don't score high on my list.
I have no problems with, and def. prefer the "naked" ball lock of the D'Allara and Poliwog.
Other than a dislike of CBBL i don't really have a preference. It depends on the knife. I have favorites with all kinds of locking system, only none CBBL :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:51 pm
My Manix/es may be exceptions to the rule, but they have felt like gritty Glock Gen 1 triggers with springs from a Harley Electra glide.. I just can't believe they *have to* be that strong.. I have also cut myself in the web of my thumb one-hand closing them, so needless to say they don't score high on my list.
I have no problems with, and def. prefer the "naked" ball lock of the D'Allara and Poliwog.
Other than a dislike of CBBL i don't really have a preference. It depends on the knife. I have favorites with all kinds of locking system, only none CBBL :)
Had my Manix only for a short time, sold it for other reasons but really liked the CBBL. Especially that it felt stronger, more durable and less likely to open in the pocket than a BM axxis lock (as a matter of fact the Omega springs on my BM Minigrip broke twice).

I am courious, so may I ask: How did you cut yourself in the THUMB by closing the Manix one handed?! I can't really see that happening, unless you did not cut the thumb with the blade, but ... the spring or something?!?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I have no pinch issues with the compression lock, but I could get behind a para3lw with a back lock.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Just received mine. It is excellent. Ergonomics are fine, not as blocky and thick as the G10 version. Wire clip is better for me and the operation is smooth and precise, the compression lock is flawless, smooth and the blade drops free right out of the box.

Winner!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
tangent

Post by tangent »

It doesn't pinch my finger every time, but it does about half the time...and I agree with someone else who stated earlier that I could probably avoid the pinching if I am conscious about it. But I also think the back lock has a different 'feel' or at least a different balance point.

But man...I gotta tell you, for me, the Para 3 feels just completely awesome in the hand in terms of comfort, no sharp edges, etc. I think it was very well thought out in that regard. Who knows, maybe Sal and Eric will eventually produce a back lock model.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

A number of things here make no sense to me. This pinching business for example. The compression lock does act like it is going to pinch you, but it never does and can't. It just closes down to a certain gap and stops. Or are the complainers total sissies with hands like little girls?

And I don't get all the fanfare about backlocks. Backlocks are proven to be among the strongest locks when open, but a compression lock is a marvel of engineering, and certainly strong enough for any reasonable use -- even unreasonable use. And a compression lock is far more pleasant to manipulate.

But I am no fan of the Para 3 -- the blade is just too small for my taste, so you guys can change the lock or do whatever you like and I won't stand in the way.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:40 pm
A number of things here make no sense to me. This pinching business for example. The compression lock does act like it is going to pinch you, but it never does and can't. It just closes down to a certain gap and stops. Or are the complainers total sissies with hands like little girls?

And I don't get all the fanfare about backlocks. Backlocks are proven to be among the strongest locks when open, but a compression lock is a marvel of engineering, and certainly strong enough for any reasonable use -- even unreasonable use. And a compression lock is far more pleasant to manipulate.

But I am no fan of the Para 3 -- the blade is just too small for my taste, so you guys can change the lock or do whatever you like and I won't stand in the way.
Thanks for your permission to do as we please, Tom. Sure is nice of you. :rolleyes:
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:52 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:56 am

Sounds like you need to practice your draw if you're moving your grip around twice. Shouldn't even have to adjust it once.

https://imgur.com/FRQPNxD

https://streamable.com/gfhxo
lol yea. during that entire video, the entire thing, that guy repeatedly moves his grip on the knife to open and close it. repeatedly. i can open and close my para 3, lil, native, and mini grip while never moving my grip.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:40 pm

I absolutely respect your opinion, but it still is, well, "just" an opinion ;) :

Honestly and without any doubt, for me personally it is the other way round and a back lock more fun and more satisfying to manipulate than a comp. lock.
Could be, cause I am really used to and really "well trained" on backlocks.
But to give just one example: When releasing the lock, I really prefer to place my thumb on the large, very well accessable area of a lockback instead of pinching the small one of a comp. lock with my index finger.

Still, I second that the comp. lock is an ingenious design by itself and undoubtedly strong enough.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:31 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:52 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:56 am

Sounds like you need to practice your draw if you're moving your grip around twice. Shouldn't even have to adjust it once.

https://imgur.com/FRQPNxD

https://streamable.com/gfhxo
lol yea. during that entire video, the entire thing, that guy repeatedly moves his grip on the knife to open and close it. repeatedly. i can open and close my para 3, lil, native, and mini grip while never moving my grip.
In your reply you shortened the previous posts in a way that makes it look like I' d have sent you the vids. I didn't. ;)

Still, as stated earlier already, I also think backlocks are as easy and fast to operate as comp. locks, but it takes some more practice maybe.

And with all due respect: What do you mean by "... guy repeatedly moves his grip..." while you can "open and close my para 3... while never moving my grip"?
You are right, technically you absolutely CAN do that by for example pressing the comp lock tab and swing the blade open or shut (btw. you can also do that with a backlock, but it's more awkward and less natural).
But to actually grip and use your knife afterwards, you still have to move your fingers! Or, to CLOSE the knife that way you have to replace your fingers before doing so.

Maybe it is not clearly defined here what "moving the grip" means exactly for the one or the other person. ;)
rabbitanarchy14

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:38 pm

I absolutely respect your opinion, but it still is, well, "just" an opinion ;) :

Honestly and without any doubt, for me personally it is the other way round and a back lock more fun and more satisfying to manipulate than a comp. lock.
But to give just one example: When releasing the lock, I really prefer to place my thumb on the large, very well accessable area of a lockback instead of pinching the small one of a comp. lock with my index finger.

Still, I second that the comp. lock is an ingenious design by itself and undoubtedly strong enough.
i am ok that you and vivi like backlocks. good for you guys that you found something you like and enjoy. my frustration comes into play when you have a whole bunch of backlock ppl trying to change a knife that i like because they feel all knives have to be backlock so they can have them. if the only lock i cant stand is a back lock and i am ok with anyother lock then i want it to be made in a more recent lock type. there are so many backlock spydercos do not take the only ones i will buy and change them into backlocks only. if the ppl that like backlocks would back off and just let whatever lock is on there as ok.

to the op if you want a para 3 lockback, you are talking about a native 5. dont change the good lock and great knife on the para to have just another native alike.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
rabbitanarchy14

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:11 am
In your reply you shortened the previous posts in a way that makes it look like I' d have sent you the vids. I didn't. ;)

Still, as stated earlier already, I also think backlocks are as easy and fast to operate as comp. locks, but it takes some more practice maybe.

And with all due respect: What do you mean by "... guy repeatedly moves his grip..." while you can "open and close my para 3... while never moving my grip"?
You are right, technically you absolutely CAN do that by for example pressing the comp lock tab and swing the blade open or shut (btw. you can also do that with a backlock, but it's more awkward and less natural).
But to actually grip and use your knife afterwards, you still have to move your fingers! Or, to CLOSE the knife that way you have to replace your fingers before doing so.

Maybe it is not clearly defined here what "moving the grip" means exactly for the one or the other person. ;)
sorry didnt mean to imply you sent the videos. if i can open the knife and use it without re situating my hand on my para 3 and i can close it without moving my grip as well. in the video he moved that knife up and down in his hand over and over and over. all of his fingers moved everytime he opened and closed it. if i cant open and close and use it without ever having to move my hand it is inefficient.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:38 pm

i am ok that you and vivi like backlocks. good for you guys that you found something you like and enjoy. my frustration comes into play when you have a whole bunch of backlock ppl trying to change a knife that i like because they feel all knives have to be backlock so they can have them. if the only lock i cant stand is a back lock and i am ok with anyother lock then i want it to be made in a more recent lock type. there are so many backlock spydercos do not take the only ones i will buy and change them into backlocks only. if the ppl that like backlocks would back off and just let whatever lock is on there as ok.

to the op if you want a para 3 lockback, you are talking about a native 5. dont change the good lock and great knife on the para to have just another native alike.
I am sorry (and I mean it!) if you got me wrong maybe, but I am in no way "trying to change a knife that you like because I feel all knives have to be back locks!" Best answer to that is to quote a reply I gave to YOU in an earlier post in this thread:

"Hi Mate, first let me say what is said often on this forum: Great, that we are not all the same in every aspect and Spyderco offers knives for almost everyones preferences! :)"

Also, earlier on this thread I stated that for example I really want to get a Shaman, despite I´d prefer it coming with a backlock!

So, maybe one of the greatest things about Spyderco is that they offer knives in so many varieties, and that´s very true for locks too, and I want it to STAY that way absolutely! Sometimes I´d like a knife come in a backlock ADDITIONALLY to for example a comp. lock, but in that I am no different to you (just you´d see it the other way round).
And, with all respect: The guy who said he would literally HATE a kind of lock (backlock) was NOT me... ;)

When it comes to lengthy talking about backlocks, how to use them and how easy they are to operate with some practice. I just do that cause I think people are missing out on great knives that happen to have a backlock, just cause they think that kind of lock would be awkward. I figure, that´s a main part of what this forum is about: To give an example: I am really no steel expert, so I might miss out on a knife cause I reckon it´s particular steel would be too hard to sharpen for me: If some forum member showed me, that I was wrong maybe or HOW I could sharpen that knife, I would never see that as someone wanting to "convert" me or to suggest any other steel should be replaced by that particular harder steel, just cause this person happpens to like it...

So, I HONESTLY hope for many more comp. lock knives for you to come!! ;) Spyderco really produces way enough backlocks for me already ;)

/ Last thought, and I might be totally wrong on that, but still: I feel that more people would like to change BACKLOCK knives into COMP.LOCK knives than the other way round - ?! What do you think?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:11 am

sorry didnt mean to imply you sent the videos. if i can open the knife and use it without re situating my hand on my para 3 and i can close it without moving my grip as well. in the video he moved that knife up and down in his hand over and over and over. all of his fingers moved everytime he opened and closed it. if i cant open and close and use it without ever having to move my hand it is inefficient.
Sorry too, in no way I wanted to imply it is a problem that it looks like I did send the vids (I probably WOULD have sent them if they were mine.. ;) )

And,still and again: You ALSO have to move your fingers at some point when closing and opening a comp. lock knife in order to really grip and use it (after opening) or to close it (to get from a grip-and-use position to a I-can-close-it-position). That is just cause when using the knife in a regular grip, your fingers would ALWAYS be in the path of the blade when opening or closing... But you´re right in that: After releasing the lock bar / lock tab, with a backlock you have to do maybe one slight move more - but that does not really take more time, at least for me (very used to backlocks).

Anyhow, no purpose in arguing about that.. ;). As said in my previous reply: Spyderco makes both more than enough backlocks and comp.locks, so we both are lucky guys... ;)
rabbitanarchy14

Warstien. I do enjoy our talks about locks. I like that we all have different opinions. And we are arguing our opinions respectfully. I do like that spydercos come with many different locks. I guess the only thing that we all can agree on is if they made all knives in several locks and then we can get the exact one we wanted. Thank you warstien for a good debate and yes we are opposite but respectful.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:38 am
Warstien. I do enjoy our talks about locks. I like that we all have different opinions. And we are arguing our opinions respectfully. I do like that spydercos come with many different locks. I guess the only thing that we all can agree on is if they made all knives in several locks and then we can get the exact one we wanted. Thank you warstien for a good debate and yes we are opposite but respectful.
Well said, thank you for your words! And, amongst even knife people in general, we are not that opposite at all :We both love Spyderco! ;)