I like the Para 3 LW...but...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tangent

I like the Para 3 LW...but...

Post by tangent »

Ordered a Para 3 LW and no Spyderco has ever felt so good in the hand...however, the compression lock is a deal killer for me. I don't know why, but I have just never been able to keep any compression lock I've owned. Might be a combination of it pinching me when I open it...or just the difference in the balance point compared to a back lock...or ???

I would love to see a Para 3 LW in a back lock design...with a Wharnie blade would be awesome!!

Anyone else out there just not able to warm up to the compression lock? Or is it just me?
Evil D

Re: I like the Para 3 LW...but...

Post by Evil D »

It does seem more cumbersome on such a small knife but I absolutely love it otherwise. It's probably my favorite lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I understand. It is not my favorite lock (I do not hate it and it is better than a liner lock). Give me a back lock (Golden preferred) or a CBBL any day. On this knife a back lock would be a great fit.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am totally with Doc Dan: Favorite lock by far a good Spyderco backlock, followed by the CBBL (have to little and too short experience with the latter to form a final opinion).

That beeing said: The Comp. lock really is ingenious by design, but just not for me. I like it the more the smaller and "less hard use" the knife is (so it´s ok on a Sage, but for example the Shaman totally should be a backlock imho), but in ANY knife I´d prefer a backlock at the end.

Some reasons for that might be: A backlock feels less likely to open in the pocket, is easier to operate with gloves or cold/wet/greasy whatever hands... and the rock-solid feel of a Native or Chap backlock is just amazing (that does not mean I would not like the Endura- / Stretch backlock, I absolutely do, but Native and Chap are clearly even a step up in that regard).

As for the Para 3: I am not interested in that knife anyway (just too small, too thick bladestock for the size) but would LOVE to see a backlock PM2 or Military (backlock instead of liner lock on the latter of course)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:56 am
I am totally with Doc Dan: Favorite lock by far a good Spyderco backlock, followed by the CBBL (have to little and too short experience with the latter to form a final opinion).

That beeing said: The Comp. lock really is ingenious by design, but just not for me. I like it the more the smaller and "less hard use" the knife is (so it´s ok on a Sage, but for example the Shaman totally should be a backlock imho), but in ANY knife I´d prefer a backlock at the end.

Some reasons for that might be: A backlock feels less likely to open in the pocket, is easier to operate with gloves or cold/wet/greasy whatever hands... and the rock-solid feel of a Native or Chap backlock is just amazing (that does not mean I would not like the Endura- / Stretch backlock, I absolutely do, but Native and Chap are clearly even a step up in that regard).

As for the Para 3: I am not interested in that knife anyway (just too small, too thick bladestock for the size) but would LOVE to see a backlock PM2 or Military (backlock instead of liner lock on the latter of course)
i am so the excact opposite. hate backlocks completely. you cant figdet with them. they are hard to open against a spring. have to change hand posistions more than twice. cant flick it. they a absolutely way to time comsuming. never had a knife open in my pocket. hard to use with glove or it slipping out of your hand. the actual detent is normally sharp on my thumb. i would take a slip joint over backlock. so many so many spydercos have great potential but imo are held back at least from me because of the horrible backlock.
now i do like liner locks and frame locks better but think the compression lock is great. also love the cbbl.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

When I first got into Spyderco I was all about the compression lock because it was fun to play with. But now, after owning various models and realizing you look a bit weird flicking a knife around, especially when not even using it...I tend to prefer the back lock or cbbl. I have no problem with the compression lock, bit that snap of a Spyderco back lock is such a reassuring sound that the knife is locked and ready to use. I also own 3 Manix's, and I'd like to think it's because of the cbbl...as well as incredible ergos.

I also love me the ukpk...so no lock required is also fine haha. Obviously for lighter uses.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Comp lock works best for me as a very good combination of safety (keeps your hands away from the path of the blade), strength (superior physical design at work) and ease of use (can easily open it and have it drop closed safely).

I'm definitely going to get another Para 3 LW... had to move mine out on short notice due to a grail opportunity.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

OoOoooOoo...what's the grail??

-Rick
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

My first experience with the para 3 lw: saw it in the display case and asked to handle it, wrapped my hand around it and flicked it open, got that quick stinging bite or more commonly referred to as the pinch, said this one can go back.

I'm a spyder hole back lock fan. Didn't realize so many others are fan of the back lock. I thought the compression lock/PM2 is king. Cool for rapid deployment but not my favorite/but don't dislike it either. Had a Manix with BBL and wasn't to fond of the lock as it wasn't very comfortable when operating it. I'm OK with Axis lock but back lock is still the favorite by far. Going to try the Sage w/ liner lock. Also like the notched slip joint of the UKPK and really like fixed blades too.

As usual, no one size fits all...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

While I have lock preferences, none of them are automatic no-buys for me. I have the Para 3 LW and the comp lock works for that model for me. Variety is the spice of life!

probably prefer in this order..

Liner Lock - easy one handed open and close, especially with gloves. This makes the Millie a great outdoor/yard knife. If I could only get some G10 Military Salts in SE and PE H1 and PE LC200N, these would really be my grail yard knives!! I really like the Tenacious as well and would buy a bunch of those if they had steels like Cruwear, 4V, LC200N, etc. Even at double the current price!

Backlock - Simple and confidence inspiring. I own more backlocks that any other lock.

CBBL - Easy one handed operation. Manix is such a great design!

Comp Lock - Sometimes get that pinch and/or lock stick. Easiest to flick if you are into that.

I was REALLY disappointed to see the Manix Backlock go. They should have really done a Cruwear sprint first. I'm sure that would have sold out easily. PLEASE bring back the Manix Backlock for a Gray G10/Cruwear sprint! Don't let all of that R&D on that design go to waste! Many people were just holding out for a different steel!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 am
Wartstein wrote:

i am so the excact opposite. hate backlocks completely. you cant figdet with them. they are hard to open against a spring. have to change hand posistions more than twice. cant flick it. they a absolutely way to time comsuming. never had a knife open in my pocket. hard to use with glove or it slipping out of your hand. the actual detent is normally sharp on my thumb. i would take a slip joint over backlock. so many so many spydercos have great potential but imo are held back at least from me because of the horrible backlock.
now i do like liner locks and frame locks better but think the compression lock is great. also love the cbbl.
Hi Mate, first let me say what is said often on this forum: Great, that we are not all the same in every aspect and Spyderco offers knives for almost everyones preferences! :)

Concerning backlocks: This has been discussed quite a lot lately and I don´t want to go to far off topic or hijack a Para 3 thread, so just at a glance (and just my experience of course):

- I can flick most backlocks on my knives even with each finger (pinky beeing the hardest and just in a reverse grip of course)
- I can both open AND close backlocks without changing hand position EVEN twice, or sure at max twice a bit.
- I absolutely sure can open backlocks as fast as comp locks, and almost sure close them as fast also (would have to use a stopwatch to verify)
- For me backlocks are not hard, but very easy to open, even the one on the Chap
- Detent is NEVER "sharp on my thumb", again even not on the Chap
- Don´t know exactly what you mean by "can´t fidget with them", but if you think of "throwing" the blade open or shut while you hold the lockbar depressed: You CAN do this with a backlock, though admittedly it feels much less natural and is much more awkward than with a comp. lock.

That beeing said: Sure I loved backlocks from the beginning, and used and played A LOT with this kind of lock. Additionally, I do a lot of rock climbing and some guitar playing, so my fingers are probably stronger than average.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

tangent wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:48 pm
Ordered a Para 3 LW and no Spyderco has ever felt so good in the hand...however, the compression lock is a deal killer for me. I don't know why, but I have just never been able to keep any compression lock I've owned. Might be a combination of it pinching me when I open it...or just the difference in the balance point compared to a back lock...or ???

I would love to see a Para 3 LW in a back lock design...with a Wharnie blade would be awesome!!

Anyone else out there just not able to warm up to the compression lock? Or is it just me?
Sounds like you want a delica...
vivi

Post by vivi »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 am
Wartstein wrote:

Sounds like you need to practice your draw if you're moving your grip around twice. Shouldn't even have to adjust it once.

https://imgur.com/FRQPNxD

https://streamable.com/gfhxo
:unicorn
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

This is another discussion about the subjective merits of something that can’t be objectively quantified without definition or metrics. Basically, which lock do you like the most? Nothing wrong with that and it is good that we have so many different choices to discuss.

My notion is that a lock’s purpose is to keep the blade from unexpectedly closing while using the knife as it was designed and intended to be used. The ease of disengaging the lock is secondary to this. A quality slip joint will keep a blade open during normal use, and keep it closed while in the pocket. It can also, along with lock knives, be closed with one hand, an action that is generally not necessary.

Consequently, it seems unfortunate that some will avoid all knives with, or without, certain locking mechanisms.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:58 am
This is another discussion about the subjective merits of something that can’t be objectively quantified without definition or metrics. Basically, which lock do you like the most? Nothing wrong with that and it is good that we have so many different choices to discuss.

My notion is that a lock’s purpose is to keep the blade from unexpectedly closing while using the knife as it was designed and intended to be used. The ease of disengaging the lock is secondary to this. A quality slip joint will keep a blade open during normal use, and keep it closed while in the pocket. It can also, along with lock knives, be closed with one hand, an action that is generally not necessary.

Consequently, it seems unfortunate that some will avoid all knives with, or without, certain locking mechanisms.
Yes, it's very subjective.

But I disagree about other things being secondary. One could just as easily say, there are any number of ways to keep a knife open (the strength arguments being mostly irrelevant ITRW) - so the question is which one is best when you're USING the knife, which is actually the point. And opening and closing is part of using. (Fidgeting is, well, not.)

Also have different needs than you on the slip joint (a deal killer unless it makes it legal) and one hand open and close, which is a must have for me most of the time.

It's interesting to hear specific comments and experiences. Some people will read them as "another reason to dislike that lock!" And others will read them as "sounds like a reason to try that lock" (or try it again). So good discussion.
Last edited by sparky2016 on Tue May 07, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree Michael...someone could easily miss out on an amazing knife, that truly works best for them, just because of a locking mechanism or lack of a lock. Best to try a bit of all types and evaluate for yourself.

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:11 am
I agree Michael...someone could easily miss out on an amazing knife, that truly works best for them, just because of a locking mechanism or lack of a lock. Best to try a bit of all types and evaluate for yourself.
Well said, and good adivise. So I can say for myself: Though I'd absolutely prefer a knife like the Shaman being a backlock, I still really want one in the current comp. lock version if this is the option available.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

i obviously like Spydercos with locks. i have a number of them, but the lock type makes little difference to me. maybe it is a generational thing. i grew up in the 1940s and 1950s in Texas when almost everyone i knew carried some kind of slip joint knife. I was taught, as were my peers, what a knife was for, how to use, and not use it. i too carried many slip joint knives over the years only to gravitate to locking knives mainly because they were better quality that what i had and it was the new “thing”.

While I trust a good locking knife to stay locked I found that was working against my long held knife safety rules I had learned as a kid. When I discovered the modern iterations of classic slip joint traditionals I became once again aware of knife safety which I had pushed into the background during my long stint with locking knives.

With a good slip joint you don’t flip them and fight them. Open. Use. Close. Pocket. Now, I am more aware that nothing is fool proof while using a knife, so I am more aware and careful with all of them.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
tangent

Post by tangent »

Marulaghost wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:45 am
tangent wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Sounds like you want a delica...
I have and like Delicas but the Para 3 feels much better in hand when open. Super comfortable! So yes, delicas are great but a back lock Para 3 would likely be a grail knife for me. Especially a Wharnie.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I like the Para 3 too and just got a lightweight yesterday to add to my humble Para 3 collection. I will say that is one complaint I have is the "pinch" from the lock, but I can live with it........