Two blade Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Two blade Spyderco?

Post by Doc Dan »

I know Spyderco has had the Dyad and may, again. The ergos were a bit weird for me, especially when cutting. I saw that Benchmade has a new axis lock double bladed knife called the Outcast. Both blades are on the same end of the knife. I wonder if Spyderco did this with the CBBL or a back lock, if this would solve the problem, or would it create worse problems?

Two blades on a knife, one plain edged and one serrated edged, is a practical and useful idea. Would this be the right solution?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zhyla

Re: Two blade Spyderco?

Post by zhyla »

Huh. I hadn’t heard of the Outlast before. The idea of stacking two blades on one end with one lock is clever.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I handled the large grey Dyad at the SFO multiple times. A part of me wanted to like it but I just couldn’t get past the ergonomics. I like the idea of a two bladed Spydie.

I would love a Dyad with a plain edge and a saw if the saw was two handed opening and mostly enclosed in the handle. It was the thumb ramp on the closed blade that bothered my hand on the large Dyad.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

My concern would be that your hand would be far from the blade and it would feel weird. Or your index finger woyld he resting on the hump of whatever blade isn't being used if you decided to put your finger closer to the blade. The ramp for the spydiehole, I believe, causes an issue in this case.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
sal

Post by sal »

There are many variables to the solutions of multiple bladed knives. My leaning is for both blades to be one handers, which always mucks up the ergos as the hole and ramp of the folded blade get in the way. My reasoning is that by locating the clip in the preferred position, one can choose the blade choice for immediate deployment. But then one also has to deal with the ergo issue of the second blade.

We have a two bladed folder design that has one blade at each end, with a hole and ramp on each blade. It has some unique concepts, that may even be patentable, but we haven't moved forward for the above mentioned reasons. It has a plain blade and a serrated blade. Dubbed the Dyad 2, it has double compression locks.

Eric has a number of multiple bladed designs both in production and in-the-works.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I hope not too off topic, but I just wanted to quickly mention again (has been disussed lately anyway):

Regardless if both blades on the same end or at each end, what would be cool was to make one blade out of a soft, but very tough steel for "beater tasks", the other blade out of a very hard, even somewhat brittle steel for prolongued edge retention. Fear of chipping would not be an issue, since one would always have the tough blade for tasks that might chip the hard steel ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82679&p=1300161&hil ... l#p1300161)

And, still, I personally would like to see a double bladed folder, one blade beeing a saw.. sure a niche product, I know, but I´d carry one on certain occasions
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sal, what about one blade on "top" and the other blade on the "bottom" if you get what I mean. The blades could be at opposite ends that way, and when one blade was open the ergos might not be bad at all.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:06 am
Dyad 2, it has double compression locks.

sal
If you made this in LC200N, that would be fantastic!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

sal wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:06 am
There are many variables to the solutions of multiple bladed knives. My leaning is for both blades to be one handers, which always mucks up the ergos as the hole and ramp of the folded blade get in the way. My reasoning is that by locating the clip in the preferred position, one can choose the blade choice for immediate deployment. But then one also has to deal with the ergo issue of the second blade.

We have a two bladed folder design that has one blade at each end, with a hole and ramp on each blade. It has some unique concepts, that may even be patentable, but we haven't moved forward for the above mentioned reasons. It has a plain blade and a serrated blade. Dubbed the Dyad 2, it has double compression locks.

Eric has a number of multiple bladed designs both in production and in-the-works.

sal
what about a main blade with a slight ramp with opening hole and a secondary with no ramp, and instead a small unobtrusive flipper?
Last edited by knivesandbooks on Mon May 06, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Well since we're all chiming in with ideas... I think the flipper/wheel on the ikuchi and smock could be applied to a double blade folder while allowing a comfortable handle. Could even do one smock style one ikuchi style so there would be tactile feedback which blade you were about to open.
"Seven for One"
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

You guys realize that Sal can neither confirm nor deny specific features of a patentable nature, right?