Why are people like this?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Why are people like this?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Why do you all think many people go by the following and have the following characteristics?

1 People tend to go by what they see, even if it is deceptive or not the whole situation. Examples: People will be attracted to someone who has fame, charismatic outlook and demeanor, dresses in ways they think are "sharp" and neat, and has expensive car etc, and will look down on those who do not, or, they will judge the success of something based on what they see, such as a club, social group, church, etc based on the size of its building and how much money/resources it has. One example of this: A situation where a woman was desired by two different men. One of the men had a Mercedes Benz car and dressed like a movie star, but he had a "cheating heart", ie, he wanted that woman but he also wanted other women. The other man looked and dressed "dumpy" and plain and drove a station wagon as his car, but, he loved that woman and would pledge himself to her as her life-long mate who was true to her. She went for the glamorous guy and he used her and cheated on her and left her an emotional wreck.

2 People tend to be attracted to personalities and look at a person more than the facts and truth of something.

Example for this: There can be two speakers and one of them is presenting true facts that can be proven and shown to be true by evidence, and the other could be presenting falsehoods and lies and false claims, but, the one who can put on a better presentation will attract more people than the one who may not have the same attractive looks or not be able to put on as good an attractive presentation of his or her information to the crowd.

Or, both could be presenting true facts but one has a presentation of those facts that is more appealing and attractive to people than the other one, and they gravitate to the one with the more drawing and attractive presentation.

Why is this?
James Y

Re: Why are people like this?

Post by James Y »

Lots of people judge the worth of a man by his appearance. In the mainstream popular culture, it's quite common to think that the snappier dresser, who drives a more expensive car, has a look that fits the conventional image of attractiveness, and is a sweet talker (or always knows how to say the "right things") is therefore more successful and the "better" pick. It's drilled into the consciousness of many by societal values, and if you go back far enough, it's an ancient survival mechanism. Many women will find such a man more desirable and more likely to provide financial stability (and biologically, perhaps better genetics/children), whether it's actually true or not. There are MANY men (and women) who go around appearing to have it all but with horrible credit scores due to trying to maintain this image.

For example, take someone like Steve Harvey. He always judges the success of a man by if he wears a suit or not (and what type of suit), his degrees (even though he himself never completed college), how much money he makes, his looks (even though he himself is far from 'handsome' in any conventional sense), and his 'charm' (meaning if he's got "game", or the ability to sweet-talk). And he passes those beliefs onto his audience, a high percentage of whom are women, who feel he's some type of expert on relationships (he's not; he's a comedian and a TV host). Many, many women subscribe to that value system. Many also say they just want a good man, but in reality want the "bad boy" type, then wonder why things never seem to work out so well for them. His value system is a common one, especially in many impoverished communities, where such a man is seen as a success and a ticket to lifelong financial and emotional security.

If a good man is overlooked solely because he doesn't possess the "things/possessions" that make him an ideal pick in a woman's eyes, and is rejected because of that, then he is better off without her, and should find a woman who will value him for who he is. And vice versa as well.

As far as speakers go, most people want to hear someone who says things they agree with. Whether or not the speaker in question really believes in what he's saying, or just says them because he knows it's what his audience wants to hear, and is convincing enough at it. People are ruled by emotion, not by logic. No matter how analytical or scientific someone is, or thinks they are, there is always an emotional investment in our preferences. And there is no doubt that a charismatic speaker is far more effective than a dry or boring speaker. Charisma draws people more than facts or content. Effective speaking (public or otherwise) is not an accident, it's a skill. By understanding one's audience and appealing to their emotions, it's easy for an effective speaker to manipulate a very high percentage of people. Commercials are another good example. If logic were the be-all end-all, there wouldn't need to be so much time, effort and money put into appealing to viewers' emotions to make them desire a product.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We're mammals and we're programmed to judge others for a variety of reasons. You can probably boil it down to survival and reproduction but as a sentient/higher thinking mammal we (well most of us) know that there is more to a person than face value.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We are biological machines programmed with pattern recognition software. That is how we interact with the world and that dictates how we react to people, things and events in our life. We judge people based on these patterns. That is why we have stereotypes and why we allow them to influence us so much. That is also why we focus more on the differences between people and not the similarities. Someone who looks successful probably is and we assume they are probably intelligent and driven. Same goes for people who are charismatic and well spoken.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Or....maybe sometimes we (some People) just suck? :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Because thinking for ourselves, and doing it critically, is a nearly lost art worldwide.
SpyderEdgeForever

Old Hoosier, also, here is another question about humans, with particular attention on knives. Why is it that a person can be fully comfortable using a 10 or even 12 inch long kitchen/food preparation blade to make dinner, but, that same person will become "antsy' and nervous and even downright fearful and upset over someone with a 3 or 4 inch blade sporting knife?
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:17 am
Old Hoosier, also, here is another question about humans, with particular attention on knives. Why is it that a person can be fully comfortable using a 10 or even 12 inch long kitchen/food preparation blade to make dinner, but, that same person will become "antsy' and nervous and even downright fearful and upset over someone with a 3 or 4 inch blade sporting knife?
For the same reason my friends, relatives and neighbors can come over and shoot my 300 Winchester magnum long range rifle and think nothing of it but are visibly uncomfortable and borderline fearful when I bring an AR-15 rifle to the bench. The media, politicians, social media have convinced them that the AR is a military style killing machine and that my bolt rifle is a hunters tool. Never mind the power/range differences.... The AR is all black, has a pistol grip and one of those million round clip thingies.... It's evil incarnate. Idiots.

In your scenario... One is a kitchen utensil and one is a weapon, because the media says so.
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you Old Hoosier, this perfectly explains what makes some of these people think that way. As an example, I showed someone who thinks along those lines a picture of the Spyderco Endura and the variant with the patented Emerson Wave Opener. The person looked that over and gave me a quizzical look and said "Those look like useless knives, only good for hurting people." I asked the person "Why then do you have chef knives at home?" and they said "Those are for cooking." That is exactly the kind of mentality you just mentioned. When I see those pictures of those Spyderco knives, the first thoughts that come to my mind are: 1 Great and well thought-out designs and engineering, 2 useful tools made from excellent materials (VG10 steel and FRN handles), 3 Useful tools. This person seems to have the attitude that the only personal folding knife a person needs is either the kind with the nail-clippers and the little blade with a file on one side, I am sure you've seen those, or, one of the smaller Swiss Army Knives.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:19 pm
Thank you Old Hoosier, this perfectly explains what makes some of these people think that way. As an example, I showed someone who thinks along those lines a picture of the Spyderco Endura and the variant with the patented Emerson Wave Opener. The person looked that over and gave me a quizzical look and said "Those look like useless knives, only good for hurting people." I asked the person "Why then do you have chef knives at home?" and they said "Those are for cooking." That is exactly the kind of mentality you just mentioned. When I see those pictures of those Spyderco knives, the first thoughts that come to my mind are: 1 Great and well thought-out designs and engineering, 2 useful tools made from excellent materials (VG10 steel and FRN handles), 3 Useful tools. This person seems to have the attitude that the only personal folding knife a person needs is either the kind with the nail-clippers and the little blade with a file on one side, I am sure you've seen those, or, one of the smaller Swiss Army Knives.
Yes SEF, I'm very familiar with SAK's....an executive rides in my LFP and a tinker rides in my RFP...along with whatever Spyder I'm carrying that day. Different tools for different jobs.