The new REVEAL is out ! Hey Doc, our AEB-L Urban is coming !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
UrbanMoose

Re: The new REVEAL is out ! Hey Doc, our AEB-L Urban is coming !

Post by UrbanMoose »

Lamina are saying they'll have the Urban in stock in July.

I plan to grab a couple as soon as I can. I'd be heartbroken to miss out. The Urban LW is one of my favourite Spyderco's. Halfneck is right, slippits are highly regarded by knife folks this side of the pond so I would'nt be surprised if they don't hang around too long in this neck of the woods.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Halfneck wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:03 am
There is a FB group I belong to that has a lot of members in the UK. Slipjoint Spydercos are very popular. I expect the new Urban, in a new steel choice, to be very popular. Shoot I'm not limited on the type of knife I carry & I find myself interested in the new Urban. I use to own one of the orange Urban Wharncliffes and found it a very neat knife.
Just googled it, Urban Wharncliffe in VG-10 with safety orange G10 scales... I had no idea this thing existed! I'm one of those weirdoes who really enjoys orange handles, so thanks for making me crave for a long discontinued model :mad:

After handling the new S30V UKPK and seeing how amazing it turned out, I think I would do some very illegal things to get my hands on a Wharncliffe Urban coming from Golden, no matter the steel choice. Maybe my wishes will come true if the new Dragonfly is a huge success... It certainly looks like it will be a big seller.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Mzen wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:19 pm
Just googled it, Urban Wharncliffe in VG-10 with safety orange G10 scales... I had no idea this thing existed! I'm one of those weirdoes who really enjoys orange handles, so thanks for making me crave for a long discontinued model :mad:

Check your PMs.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Sat May 04, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

AEB-L Steel what are the desirable qualities? Does not look like it has much of anything in it?

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:19 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:42 pm
I'm hoping the Urban is well received so we will see some AEB-L in some other models. Sounds like a great steel. I'm not really into non-locking folders though so I will be waiting for future models with AEB-L.
I'm the other way around.

I hope the AEB-L Urban is a success and we see future Urbans in other blade steels.
Exactly! I’m way more likely to grab a slipjoint “mule” if I want to try a new steel.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:25 pm
AEB-L Steel what are the desirable qualities? Does not look like it has much of anything in it?

Toughness.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/03/04/all-about-aeb-l/
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's a steel I think you'd like, given you enjoy VG10 and BD1N. It's closer to steels like that than say, S90V.

I'd love to see AEB-L used in a larger model. I'd buy a Police lightweight, Millie, Manix XL etc. in it.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:20 pm

It's a steel I think you'd like, given you enjoy VG10 and BD1N. It's closer to steels like that than say, S90V.

I'd love to see AEB-L used in a larger model. I'd buy a Police lightweight, Millie, Manix XL etc. in it.

Reading that article it sounds like will perform similar to H1, so i'm not surprised you would want it given your love for H1. Just not completely stain proof like H1. I agree in wanting to see it other larger models. This sounds like a steel that it going to be at the top of my list. I think I'm going to have a get an Urban to check it out.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:06 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:19 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:42 pm
I'm hoping the Urban is well received so we will see some AEB-L in some other models. Sounds like a great steel. I'm not really into non-locking folders though so I will be waiting for future models with AEB-L.
I'm the other way around.

I hope the AEB-L Urban is a success and we see future Urbans in other blade steels.
Exactly! I’m way more likely to grab a slipjoint “mule” if I want to try a new steel.
Ditto!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a couple of folders in 13C26 (AEB-L). It is no super steel and those who are used to S90V or something might be disappointed. It tends to bend and roll rather than chip. In fact, I have never had a chip in either knife. When we first started talking about the AEB-L Urban I was surprised to discover how tough this steel actually is. I think it is a razor blade steel, and for a pocket knife, It think it is a good choice. It sharpens easily and holds a decent edge, but maybe slightly less than 154CM, VG-10, etc. However, if it is run harder by Spyderco, then all of my experience goes out the window.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050