Mulling over the Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

If the Mule line could resurrected, in whichever form it takes, would you buy one?

Yes!
67%
No!
8%
Undecided
25%

Total votes: 52

Albatross

Re: Mulling over the Mule

Post by Albatross »

sal wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:28 pm
There are many factors that affected the Mule Team project.

1. They were all sold consumer direct at low margins to keep the cost low to the Steel Junky's. This meant fairly low volumes.
2. They were sold without sheaths or handles for the most part which also kept the cost low and our inventory issues simple.
3. If they are sold through dealer networks, the price increases considerably.
4. If we use a folder such as the UK, much higher volumes would have to be made due to minimum quantities the foundries require. I question of the market is large enough. Also the cost of a folder is considerably great to produce.

We can discuss potential options, but remember, the first time I introduced the idea, it was shot down. The second time there was more interest, so I decided to try it. I'm not sure what format could/would work. I'll keep a "drafty brain" (open mind) in the discussion.

sal
From the Mule Team thread.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If Spyderco were to go ahead and produce a folding Mule, would most of you who are interested in a Mule most likely be able to put handle scales on it, with much of the same ease as getting handle scales on the fixed blade versions, or, would that pose a greater challenge?
QUICKSILVER

Post by QUICKSILVER »

NO! Any change would impair the steel comparison with the 26 existing mules. I am not interested in starting over and I don't think Sal is interested in repeating the steels used in the existing mules.

But, YES, if a continuation of the current fixed blade mule format. I would buy 2 of any produced.

So, I can't answer your poll.

Bill Maier
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Vanax SC please!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:35 pm
If Spyderco were to go ahead and produce a folding Mule, would most of you who are interested in a Mule most likely be able to put handle scales on it, with much of the same ease as getting handle scales on the fixed blade versions, or, would that pose a greater challenge?
Not if you used Duct Tape. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

Personally, I'd prefer the mule project to be resurrected in its original fixed blade pattern. As Quicksilver mentions above, there is great value in maintaining a consistent blade/edge geometry for testing purposes so that the steel is the only variable.

That said, if the project were to move to a folder platform, I would pick the PM2 or the Military. The PM2 would ensure the broadest appeal and I feel that it would make it easier to justify the cost differential.
sal

Post by sal »

Yes, I'm watching.

sal
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:14 pm
Basically people have to commit to buying them all (credit card info given up front).

Realistically, 99% would be going to rich collectors then. It seems like people just want a bunch of popular folding sprints rather than a constructive mule program.

The only way I see this program really being beneficial at all anymore is if, when you buy a knife, you have to submit a kind of report (say, within 30 days) on the use/testing you did with the last steel before you are allowed to buy another. And being that Spyderco would be selling these themselves, I do think it would be feasible, but very time-consuming. So basically there would have to be a strict screening process to order a mule.

If not, just call the folders sprints and release them normally and have fun. But a Mule program it is not.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Realistically, 99% would be going to rich collectors then.

You have to be rich to set aside $200-300 per year for maybe 2-3 releases per year? I'm not rich, but this is my one hobby these days so I set money aside for it.

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:20 pm

It seems like people just want a bunch of popular folding sprints rather than a constructive mule program.

How so? Why can't a mule be a folder that people actually want to carry and use for real world testing? Why wouldn't they use an existing inexpensive USA made platform like the Para 3 LW or UKPK?? We can't all carry fixed blades around all day. A "membership" shows a commitment to the program.

If Spyderco really wanted to make sure it was for the "true" users they could number them like the collector club and then revoke memberships to members who resell their knives on ebay or BF. We could have a thread with all of the member numbers showing the forum members associated and shame anyone selling theirs!! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm interested in the Mule project, but it has to be a design I like. I got one of the 52100 mules but didn't like the ergonomics. Same with a lot of the folders people are proposing. Para 3 Mule? I'm out.

I like the idea of comparing different steels in the same platform, but I like to like the platform itself to buy in.
:unicorn
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I see the fixed blade as the best platform. Not interested in paying more ... are cutting edge steel folders do-able for less than $70-$80??? UK penknife in plastic and S110V is about $100 thru retailers. I guess some of you are saying you would be willing to pay a heftier price for a mule if it is a folder but you aren't interested in a lesser price if it is a fixed blade. I've been asking for Mule re-runs since about the first day I arrived at this forum. Some steels are likely better candidates for re-runs than others... shouldn't be hard to figure out.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:54 pm
I'm interested in the Mule project, but it has to be a design I like. I got one of the 52100 mules but didn't like the ergonomics. Same with a lot of the folders people are proposing. Para 3 Mule? I'm out.

I like the idea of comparing different steels in the same platform, but I like to like the platform itself to buy in.
Basically the same!

I bought two Maxamet Mules when they first came out with the intent to make handles and sheaths. When they arrived I soon realised that the blade shape/length didn’t lend the knife to dressing game, cleaning fish or anything I’m likely to use a knife for. I did however wrap a handle with paracord and played with knife enough as well as sharpen it a couple of times to make me like the steel enough to want a Maxamet Military. So I s’pose in a way it did served it’s purpose. Thus was my Mule Project experience.

As far as a PM3 “Mule” goes ..., not here. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
sliceofaloha

Post by sliceofaloha »

Hi, new here - active on BladeForums. I drew up this blade a few months ago and thought it might make for an interesting Mule Team revival:

Needs a lower guard (edit: if a fixed blade), used the PM2 as an adhoc handle. More of a Military sized blade. Thoughts on the blade? Mahalo!
Last edited by sliceofaloha on Sat May 04, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:21 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 am
I'm on the hunt for a Mule,so yes.Of course.Preferably VG10,micarta handles,leather sheath,under 200$.
I think the Mules would need to be as simple as possible to encourage participation (same as the first iteration).

So the micarta, leather, etc would probably not be a great idea.
It would be,for me :)
I'm not a steel junkie,i just love the mule shape and specs.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I'm definetely not interested in a folding mule.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
SpyderEdgeForever

And this leads to my next question on this very topic: IF Spyderco were to decide to start up the Mule program again, when it comes to the fixed blades, would you want them to use the same basic blade shape/pattern as before, or, would you want to see them experiment with other shapes? For example, would you want to see a wharncliffe or sheepsfoot Mule, or, the basic leaf shape pattern?
SpyderEdgeForever

spyderwolf wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:14 am
I'm definetely not interested in a folding mule.
Is that because the fixed blade version is just more useful for your chosen cutting chores, or, if you were to get a folder, you want a fully-finished folder with handle scales and everything else on it?
SpyderEdgeForever

Bloke wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:33 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:35 pm
Not if you used Duct Tape. ;)
Ahahahaha :) Very good :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:17 am
And this leads to my next question on this very topic: IF Spyderco were to decide to start up the Mule program again, when it comes to the fixed blades, would you want them to use the same basic blade shape/pattern as before, or, would you want to see them experiment with other shapes? For example, would you want to see a wharncliffe or sheepsfoot Mule, or, the basic leaf shape pattern?
If it were the same type of fixed blade program, I'd prefer the shape stay the same for better comparisons.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Here were my thoughts that I posted back in 2012:

To all Mule Team members: I would like to put forth an idea regarding the development of a control or standardized model to be used in testing past, current and future Mule Team blade steels. I am seeking interest and opinions to encourage Spyderco to create a regular model for their line. Called the MULE (FB??P), it would use the current Mule blade pattern, standard VG-10 steel (or possibly S30V), have a FRN or G-10 (from Halpern Titanium?) bolt-on handles, and a Boltaron (or FRN) sheath. I think that the Mule is a great utility design that is not being used to its full potential.

In most traditional comparative testing, one uses a standard or control for comparison which this working utility knife would provide. In addition, by introducing a complete knife, the handle and sheath would be available for other Mule Team blades being easily interchanged to make every day carry and testing more accessible. A regular model would also expose more ELU to the Mule Team project expanding greater participation and exchange of ideas and cutting experience. I value your comments and thoughts. How about it Sal?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57171&p=808382#p808382