Z-Cut Spyderco Food Prep Knife in BD1N!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Z-Cut Spyderco Food Prep Knife in BD1N!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am very glad that in the new Reveal Spyderco has revealed the Z-Cut food preparation knife, and it uses BD1N stainless steel. Is this a long-hoped for type of tool for many of you?
ihped1

Re: Z-Cut Spyderco Food Prep Knife in BD1N!

Post by ihped1 »

I'm definitely more interested in the chef's knives, but at $400 for the gyuto I'd have to get a job as a chef to justify getting one. At $20, the z-cut should be a good seller for Spyderco.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I wouldn't call it a "long awaited hope", I'm more interested in seeing the two less expensive versions of the Murray Carter line of knives released. OTOH, the Z-Cuts do seem to offer a lot of hand clearance, at a price that's impossible to resist, so I definitely plan on trying both the blunt and sharp tipped PE versions.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the pointed versions. I am going to have to get a couple. I am glad they moved to BD1N because the steel used on my last paring knife is so rust prone I cannot leave it to dry, but must make sure to wipe it down very thoroughly.

I like the design of these. It should make food prep easier.

I wish they would make a 3" blade version.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

These look nice, I'll probably pick one up.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Thin as they are, they should be super slicers.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:11 pm
I am very glad that in the new Reveal Spyderco has revealed the Z-Cut food preparation knife, and it uses BD1N stainless steel. Is this a long-hoped for type of tool for many of you?
I was extremely interested until I saw the dimensions listed. I thought from the images, that they were designed to be an offset bread knife/utility knife (usually 6-9 inches blade length) but the blade length is only 4.2-4.4 inches. For me, a 4" blade has extremely limited use in the kitchen.

The only kitchen knife I regularly use that is less than 6" is a paring knife, but I don't think these will fill that role well. Most of my paring is done in a backward grip with the food in hand cutting toward my own thumb, not on the board. In this use case, there is no need for an offset and in fact it would make the cutting far more awkward. In my experience, the primary advantage of an offset is finger clearance when using a cutting board, but on the board I use a 9in serrated bread knife, 8in chef knife or 7in Santoku. 4 inches isn't enough length to easily cut many loaves, vegetables or cuts of meat with one pass.

There may be kitchen techniques that take advantage of a short offset blade, but I am unaware of them. If anyone has ideas, please share! I'm always looking to pick up new techniques (and excuses to buy new knives).

I'm hoping these sell well enough that they offer them in more useful (to me) sizes. I love that they are affordable, made in the USA and made of BD1N.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm going to check one out. If for no other reason than to conpare the steel to BD1.
:unicorn
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:21 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
I was extremely interested until I saw the dimensions listed. I thought from the images, that they were designed to be an offset bread knife/utility knife (usually 6-9 inches blade length) but the blade length is only 4.2-4.4 inches. For me, a 4" blade has extremely limited use in the kitchen.

The only kitchen knife I regularly use that is less than 6" is a paring knife, but I don't think these will fill that role well. Most of my paring is done in a backward grip with the food in hand cutting toward my own thumb, not on the board. In this use case, there is no need for an offset and in fact it would make the cutting far more awkward. In my experience, the primary advantage of an offset is finger clearance when using a cutting board, but on the board I use a 9in serrated bread knife, 8in chef knife or 7in Santoku. 4 inches isn't enough length to easily cut many loaves, vegetables or cuts of meat with one pass.

There may be kitchen techniques that take advantage of a short offset blade, but I am unaware of them. If anyone has ideas, please share! I'm always looking to pick up new techniques (and excuses to buy new knives).

I'm hoping these sell well enough that they offer them in more useful (to me) sizes. I love that they are affordable, made in the USA and made of BD1N.
Thank you, this is a very well-thought out analysis of that type of blade design. Do you think these would be very useful in commercial food-service locations, such as sandwich shops and restaurants, where the chefs, cooks, and employees would be cutting various meats, cheese, vegetables, and bread-types, rather than at-home use, for some of the reasons you stated above?

Two other qualities they have, where I could see them being useful for restaurants, diners, etc, are:

1 The BD1N stainless steel seems to be very rust-resistant and sanitary.
2 The polymer handles are ammendable to dishwashers and are very sanitary and hygenic.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I'll be trying out both edges.

Weird to me that some complain about blade length. I've cut up everything under the sun with a 3" blade, not that a longer blade would be more convenient at times.... but this one is 4+. The biggest knife I use with food is 6", but only because that's the shortest chef style knife we have. I've thought about grinding it down to 5".
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:48 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:21 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Thank you, this is a very well-thought out analysis of that type of blade design. Do you think these would be very useful in commercial food-service locations, such as sandwich shops and restaurants, where the chefs, cooks, and employees would be cutting various meats, cheese, vegetables, and bread-types, rather than at-home use, for some of the reasons you stated above?

Two other qualities they have, where I could see them being useful for restaurants, diners, etc, are:

1 The BD1N stainless steel seems to be very rust-resistant and sanitary.
2 The polymer handles are ammendable to dishwashers and are very sanitary and hygenic.
I've worked as a chef and we primarily used 8-10" chef knives. At home I do 98% of my cutting with a Victorinox 10" chef knife.

The zcut knives are nice but from what I can tell they aren't anything revolutionary compared to the dexter russels you'd find in most kitchens in the USA.
araneae

Post by araneae »

jpm2 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:59 pm
I'll be trying out both edges.

Weird to me that some complain about blade length. I've cut up everything under the sun with a 3" blade, not that a longer blade would be more convenient at times.... but this one is 4+. The biggest knife I use with food is 6", but only because that's the shortest chef style knife we have. I've thought about grinding it down to 5".
You might get the job done with a short blade, but a longer edge and proper technique is way more efficient. There's a reason chefs generally use 8-10" blades.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Notsurewhy,

Welcome to our forum.

Time will tell?

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sal,

I'd love to see a zcut series Chef knife. Something to go head to head against the Victorinox standard chef knives I've been using for a while. I'd buy a few.
F1addict

Post by F1addict »

Vivi wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:06 pm
Sal,

I'd love to see a zcut series Chef knife. Something to go head to head against the Victorinox standard chef knives I've been using for a while. I'd buy a few.
+1
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I am also confused by the blade length on these. Offset paring knife?
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

To put things in perspective:

Waterway
Edge Length 4.07 in, 103 mm

Z-Cut
Edge Length 4.2 in, 107 mm
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Catamount123 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:09 am
To put things in perspective:

Waterway
Edge Length 4.07 in, 103 mm

Z-Cut
Edge Length 4.2 in, 107 mm
Yes, but completely different use cases. I don’t carry 12” blades as they are unwieldy, but I use a 12” gyuto when I’m doing large amounts of veggie prep.

I have smaller kitchen knives as well, but I’m struggling to see where this Z cut would fit into my knife drawer.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi F1addict,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

FYI,

We were the first company to introduce a Santoku to the Western world back in the 80's. Now everyone makes one.

I deigned the first offset in the 80's as well. It was an 10" knife designed to compete with the Ginsu. We never got around t making it, just too busy. Now everyone makes one so the market is relatively served. We made the Z-cut to be an easily grabbed cutting tool for general purpose. Not necessarily culinary "arts".

sal