Collectors numbers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Collectors numbers?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Is their any difference in knives with collectors numbers on them? Do people find them more or less desirable?
ihped1

Re: Collectors numbers?

Post by ihped1 »

Personally if I had the choice between the same model with a collector number and one without, I would pick the one without. I definitely wouldn't pay more to have a collector version.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I won't even consider one with a collectors number.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

^^^yeah I agree, unless it were "MY" number (which is never going to happen), I wouldn't want ANY number on one of my knives.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I guess Spyderco must know which collector by number. I have a CTS-XHP with a collector number on it and rather it did not, but it is such a nice knife with a great steel otherwise I would never have purchased it.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Same here
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

If I was able to continue purchasing from the same collector, then I wouldn't mind it. But having random numbers on my knives is a no go for me.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

To the 2nd question, makes no difference to me, they're all going to get beat up.
I've got a few.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Given a choice, I'd rather not have a knife come with a CC number, but it wouldn't keep me from buying one I really wanted, especially if it were a discontinued or sold-out model.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I love how this exact topic comes up every six months or so. As usual, the only ones who like CC numbers are CC members, everyone else hates them. I can’t help but feel that’s directly linked to one’s ability to afford Spyderco’s new knives at a rate close to how quickly they are released. That’s not an easy feat, even for CC members... ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

I have a friend that I totally made into a spydie addict. After many conversations sharing my years of knowledge about spyderco and their products, he became obsessed with ebay and with knowing what he considered to be their (spydies) real value (ebay prices). fast forward to this thread, many times we've been over this exact subject where he insists that collector knives are more valuable because of the number, and I like my previous respondents have always denied that for myself specifically and for the spydie community as a whole.

Anyway, No CC#'s for me thankx!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Doesn't bother me as long as I'm not paying a premium for it...

CG

Glad to hear others are passing on them as this means less comp for me!!!
So many knives - so little funds!!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:28 pm
Is their any difference in knives with collectors numbers on them? Do people find them more or less desirable?

Some find them more desirable, some find them less desirable, some don't care one way or the other.

On the positive side:

If you're concerned about counterfeits, a CC# is a pretty good guarantee you're getting a genuine Spyderco.

For those whose knives might be stolen, a CC# gives them a positive way of identifying their knife.

On the negative side:

The "bug" is bad enough, a CC# adds one more bit of unnecessary clutter to the blade.

A CC# means you're getting an early example of that model. So, in essence you're a beta tester.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
OH no! Dude you're making a mistake there. Because sometimes when you try to seek out an old, collectible Spyder that might be all that's available.

and come on what is a small embossed number on the heel of the blade going to do to affect the performance of the knife if you find one you really want to use?

I have a lot of units with the collector number on them ( collector pieces & users) and personally I could care less either way.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I don't mind them too much, but given the choice will choose one without a number. One exception are a few knives I bought off a buddy who had a collector number, but that's more a nostalgia thing.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I've got two knives with a collectors number I can think of and try to avoid them.
It takes away from the minty feeling even though a knife can be in great condition.
It's not that I mind them too much, but I definitely wouldn't pay more to have one...

(one of my damascus Endura's has a collectors number, and I do think it would look better without it)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Doeswhateveraspidercan

The Deacon wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:18 am
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:28 pm

Some find them more desirable, some find them less desirable, some don't care one way or the other.

On the positive side:

If you're concerned about counterfeits, a CC# is a pretty good guarantee you're getting a genuine Spyderco.

For those whose knives might be stolen, a CC# gives them a positive way of identifying their knife.

On the negative side:

The "bug" is bad enough, a CC# adds one more bit of unnecessary clutter to the blade.

A CC# means you're getting an early example of that model. So, in essence you're a beta tester.
That was what I was looking for without attempting to and avoiding lead the witness. Thanks Deacon I was wondering if they were the earliest releases. For the prices on the Secondary market for some of these... No Thank You Very Much!!
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:06 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
OH no! Dude you're making a mistake there. Because sometimes when you try to seek out an old, collectible Spyder that might be all that's available.

and come on what is a small embossed number on the heel of the blade going to do to affect the performance of the knife if you find one you really want to use?

I have a lot of units with the collector number on them ( collector pieces & users) and personally I could care less either way.
+1

It also allows accessibility to models that may be difficult to get. As long as the price is relatively equivalent to non-number, doesn’t make a difference
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's true. If thats the only possible option to get one that I truly desire, that would be the way to go. Thankfully I'm not looking into any discontinued models!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I understand the number, what does the "V" stand for?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!