Sage 5 Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Sage 5 Lightweight

Post by gull wing »

The Para 3 Lightweight is just barely out and.

I guess this is typical, but........... :o
How far out is it ? (Sage 5 LW)
Within the year?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
SG89

Re: Sage 5 Lightweight

Post by SG89 »

Before September 2nd if we are going by 1st release's math
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Comparing pics of the two knives, I personally would take the Sage 5 LW over the Para 3 LW any day of the week I guess: Virtually same blade and edge length, still a bit shorter when closed, probably a tiny bit shorter handle, but still offering seemingly a lot more usable grip area behind the choil.

And above all: thinner, slicier blade and I prefer the leaf shape with it´s probably a bit more robust tip.

Less contoured scales though, but with the great texturing pattern of the Chap as far as I can see.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Looking forward to this one. This will probably be the only knife I buy out of the reveal in non-sprint/exclusive form. I want a bunch of the others, but will wait for different steels. I don't have any S30V at the moment, so this is a good one to fill that spot.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I was surprised to see a "TBD" for the price in the latest reveal. I assume that it won't be anything unexpected.
glocknurse

Post by glocknurse »

I was really interested in this knife when reporting from the Amsterdam show said the weight was 1.85oz., now BladeHQ has the weight listed as 2.70oz. I'm still interested, just not as much. Has anyone heard which weight is correct?
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Yes, I already have the best possible Para 3 (BBS M390 Para 3, with CF scales and MXG clip)
Now the Sage 5 compression LW, oh yes. I don't have a comp locked Sage.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
glocknurse

Post by glocknurse »

Anyone hear an actual weight on this thing? I've heard 1.8 oz. and 2.7 oz., just wondering which is closer to the truth?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

glocknurse wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:22 pm
Anyone hear an actual weight on this thing? I've heard 1.8 oz. and 2.7 oz., just wondering which is closer to the truth?
The knife is already listed on Spydercos homepage: Weight 2.7 indeed.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

glocknurse wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:16 am
I was really interested in this knife when reporting from the Amsterdam show said the weight was 1.85oz., now BladeHQ has the weight listed as 2.70oz. I'm still interested, just not as much. Has anyone heard which weight is correct?
Several of the weights stated in the Amsterdam thread were too low by a lot. Could be a malfunction of Wouters scale?!
Still, and very important: I absolutely loved the thread and am gratefull for Wouters work!!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

LW Para3 does nothing for me but I can't wait for the LW Sage5. I only wish they did dark grey colour scales instead of the usual black ones.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

The Sage 5 Lightweight looks like a large Chaparral Lightweight with a compression lock. I really like the Chaparral Lightweight and I just got the Para3 Lightweight so I’ll probably pass on this one and wait for the Caly 3.5 Lightweight.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Definitely looking forward to this. I reckon it'll have a price point higher than the Para 3 LW, but hopefully not too much higher.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:44 am
Definitely looking forward to this. I reckon it'll have a price point higher than the Para 3 LW, but hopefully not too much higher.

Yep, looking forward to this and the Urban AEB-L the most! Will be getting both upon release!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

elena86 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 pm
....but I can't wait for the LW Sage5. I only wish they did dark grey colour scales instead of the usual black ones.
Yeah I'm not exactly sure why they decided to use black scales for the S5LW. I have a lot of grey knives these day too and I'm necessarily looking for another. But, if it was a shade or two darker or lighter than the Chap FRN (just to make it different) I would've probably bought one. As it is I'll probably pass. A few months ago I was in regardless but I'm no longer buying knives with reckless abandon. Sal mentioned the FRN version might be available for exclusives. So maybe one will come along that I can't live without.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:45 pm
I'm no longer buying knives with reckless abandon
Me too.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:12 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Me too.

It will come back...it always does. I told myself I wasn't going to do that either this year but I've been going on a tear the past few weeks. I just ordered the transparent blue Manix LW from St. Nick's Knives today! I've always wanted that one but was hoping they would CQI to screw construction at some point. Got tired of waiting. Before that it was the HH Red UKPK, 52100 Manix (replacing the one I stupidly sold last year and then regretted it), Rex45 Millie, Orange Tenacious, and Para 3 LW. All within the past few weeks. I had only bought one prior to that in all of 2019!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:12 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Me too.

It will come back...it always does....
I didn't say I wasn't going to buy any more knives. I just don't need to have every new model or all the variations of the models I like. I was getting close to 100 knives. It was getting overwhelming and a bit excessive. I still have knives that I haven't even carried or used yet. I've also found something else to spend money on and I can't afford to do both. So I'm content enjoying what I already have.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i am honestly looking forward too it just waiting on price from bhq.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:02 am
i am honestly looking forward too it just waiting on price from bhq.
same here, though I'll probably get it elsewhere.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!