Emphasis

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tims

Emphasis

Post by Tims »

Lots to like in the latest reveal but the knife that really stood out for me was the Emphasis.

-Perfect edc size
-Melt in the hand ergos/choil
-great blade profile
-deepish carry black wire clip
-slim carry

The only thing that hurts it, for me, is the 8Cr13MoV. Yes it’s serviceable but **** would I have loved to see something a step or two above.

Steel aside, what a great value knife. All that design in such a cheap package. Wow.
soc_monki

Re: Emphasis

Post by soc_monki »

Yep... I'm interested in it and the endela... I don't own a lockback, so might pick an endela up when they become available. Not going to pre-order, because I'm still waiting on my para 3 while so many people have already gotten them.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Thanks for starting this thread, Tims. I come back here and poke my head in the door, from time to time. Checking to see if there is any new news about it.

I've been following this knife pretty closely, since the 2019 Amsterdam meetup. This Emphasis, trips all of my triggers. I too of course, would like to see some better steel in it, and I don't normally purchase much in the way of budget Spyderco knives. Except this one, has really caught my attention. I can hardly wait for it to become available. I'm even getting a bit jittery about it! This thing has got to appear, any moment now. So much to love, with this one.

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

It does look amazing!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

It really is a great design that could be great with a better steel. Now i don't expect our even wish for their Chinese offerings to come out in REX45 or Maxamet, but surely they could work with D2.
It's that a possibility?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I don't get it ... this awesome design deserves a better steel :(
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

This looks like a great design. I also think that a more enthusiast level bladesteel will be nice. But these are the kind of knives that will get people into knives, just like the tenacious did for me years ago. So I also like it the way it is for that reason.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

This model, I think, is the best looking one to come out of the Amsterdam meet.
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

When the efficient came out, I looked at how sleek and comfortable looking the design was. And to now see a larger version of the design, I think this will leave a great impression on those just getting into folders or someone just wants a comfortable, attractive, and easy to sharpen budget friendly knife
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A bit like a slightly smaller Chief... give it lock and steel of the Chief, and I would maybe even prefer the Emphasis (over the Chief)...
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Theres definately some Native ancestry in there. Maybe it just the lack of a thumb ramp?
I’m not unhappy with a liner lock on this one or liner locks in general really if they have a thick liner and steep lock face for longevity.
I would have loved to see this in bd1n or something. I wonder if it’s riding on PB or teflon washers.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I’m looking forward to this model. It initially caught my eye when I saw it and I became even more interested when I read that Mr. Schempp helped design it.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:26 pm
This model, I think, is the best looking one to come out of the Amsterdam meet.
I think it is too, p_atrick. You have great taste my Man! :D
It's very Sliverax-like also, I'd say.

It's hard to find this kind of blade length, in a G10 Spyderco it seems. Plus, the design, deep-carry wire clip, and the lanyard hole location. Put this towards the top of my want-list.

I like variety! :)
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Tims wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:51 am
Theres definately some Native ancestry in there. Maybe it just the lack of a thumb ramp?
I’m not unhappy with a liner lock on this one or liner locks in general really if they have a thick liner and steep lock face for longevity.
I would have loved to see this in bd1n or something. I wonder if it’s riding on PB or teflon washers.

I know what you're saying Tims. But I'll have to have this one anyway. :D

Did you see SpyderCollector's YouTube video of it yet? Checkout the video, at the 00:34 - 00:45 mark. That liner lock, is looking pretty darn good to me. Plus, that backspacer is gorgeous!

A fantastic weight as well, for a 8.26" G10 full-liner knife.

He told me a couple of months ago, that he was pretty sure it felt like it was on washers, when he handled it. Which is what I prefer, on a knife like this. I also love, that it doesn't have unused clip mounting holes (12), drilled all over it. :p

I do see in the pictures provided so far (pre-order pages), and in the video. That the left side clip screw is missing. I have to think that they will be going with a Chicago type screw, for the production model, and that hole will then be filled. Like we see now, on the Para 3 LW.

Specifications:
Overall Length: 21 cm / 8.26 inches
Blade Length: 9,1 cm / 3.58 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 94 grams / 3.31 ounces
vivi

Post by vivi »

Looks like a really practical design. If I preferred a liner lock to a lockback I'd be all over this, but as it stands I'll order a Chief. I may buy some of these to gift the way I've done with Cara Caras though. I think most folks find liner locks more intuitive to close one handed.

To anyone who thinks 8Cr isn't that great, try reprofiling a Byrd to 10dps until the factory edge is 100% gone. Deburr, then microbevel at 15dps with your brown sharpmaker stones. At those angles you'll get some awesome performance from this steel.
:unicorn
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Oh my goodness. The wait for this thing, is driving me CRAZY! :D
Come on Syderco. The slot that opened up, by not delivery the Bow River. Should let you have time to slide this one out right about now! :p

https://youtu.be/lXGfvJfQM1M
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'd overlooked this one. It's a Goldilocks length for me, right between the native and the chief with a similar blade shape (love the native shape). Looks to be good in the pocket with that slim humpless profile. I don't prefer liner locks, but it isn't a deal breaker. The 8cr is disappointing, but completely understandable at the price. Overall a great value.

I'd love to see a similar model made in Golden or Taichung in S30v, xhp or something more interesting.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

This is a very interesting knife for sure, I too wish it was in a better steel though. As it stands, that’s a deal breaker for me personally, but I understand why they use it. That being said, I’d love to see the more popular Chinese models (Tenacious, Efficient, soon to be Emphasis, maybe some Byrds) produced in a higher grade Chinese steel as an option. An option of Tenacious or Emphasis knives in something like 9Cr18Mov or even D2 would be awesome. I would purchase a 9Cr18Mov Emphasis which costs 50% more than the 8Cr13Mov version in a heartbeat. I do really like the looks and length.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I spoke with Eric at Blade about the Chinese D2 prevalent these days in imported knives. Most of it isn't true D2, but the Chinese equivalent (Cr12MoV, I think). Eric says the Chinese D2 steel they've looked at isn't very clean/consistent, and he'd currently rather stay with 8Cr for predictable quality. I'm with Vivi, 8Cr isn't that bad.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

It's on my buy list,too.I always loved the Sliverax design,but i hate flippers,so this would be perfect for me.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.