Underrated utility

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Underrated utility

Post by spyderwolf »

Which are the most underrated Spydercos?
I just got this guy-feather light,perfect balance,ideal blade shape and lenght,great handle-and it changed my mind about serrations,i'm starting to love them.
For 30$ it's incredible value for money.
What was your WOW moment?
Attachments
1-59414823_869590416720176_7892154641515806720_n.jpg
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
krsmitty

Re: Underrated utility

Post by krsmitty »

I am the same on the serrations. At first did not like them...but the more I used knives that have them (My Tenacious)...The more I like them.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The micro paring knife. Super useful, and there really isn't anything like it on the market at all.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Byrd Rescue 2
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I have many kitchen knives, including really pricey premium models from Japanese makers, etc.
however, Spyderco’s MBS blades kitchen knives are my most used and loved in the kitchen.
They take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’..!
Def underrated, with tremendous value.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I am a big fan of serrations for utility use... but I still haven’t figured out what I’d use a serrated paring knife for. Change my mind!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

krsmitty wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:52 am
I am the same on the serrations. At first did not like them...but the more I used knives that have them (My Tenacious)...The more I like them.
I'm thinking about a serrated Para,for my first toothy folder.This was out of the question a week ago...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:30 pm
I am a big fan of serrations for utility use... but I still haven’t figured out what I’d use a serrated paring knife for. Change my mind!
The model that Spyderwolf is showing is the old K-05 kitchen model. I have two of those myself and the one I use in my kitchen get's almost daily use most of the time. Those rounded/wavy type of serrations that those Spyderco kitchen knives have cut as good as most plain edged units on smooth harder fruits & veggies. Just keep them razor sharp and you've got the best of both edge types in one knife.

And I've had some of my Spyderco kitchen knives since about 2001 or so.
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

I have a lil' native with a serrated edge, wanted to add a serrated folding knife to my collection to try it out and to later do a post on my youtube channel on how I would sharpen it. so far, I enjoyed it. Not what I expected in terms of utility use. Using the factory edge, it makes quick work of breaking down cardboard. I did experience a little bit of hangups when cutting, but its really just a learning curb that I was able to overcome while the blade was sharp. As of now, the blade needs to be sharpened. It will be a new challenge to test my sharpening skills, and I am curious as to how my sharpness will make the serrated edge perform.
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:11 am
The model that Spyderwolf is showing is the old K-05 kitchen model. I have two of those myself and the one I use in my kitchen get's almost daily use most of the time. Those rounded/wavy type of serrations that those Spyderco kitchen knives have cut as good as most plain edged units on smooth harder fruits & veggies. Just keep them razor sharp and you've got the best of both edge types in one knife.

And I've had some of my Spyderco kitchen knives since about 2001 or so.
I guess I’m looking for something more compelling than “as good”. Serrations make good sense in a utility length but in a paring knife I feel they would be a handicap for a lot of paring knife tasks.

I know Spyderco is calling their 4.5” paring knives “utility” knives but to me that’s a paring length. The 6” version makes a bit more sense. I think I’d be happier if it were 7”. In general Spyderco’s kitchen knives are all too short across the board with the exception of their santoku.