Mulling over the Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

If the Mule line could resurrected, in whichever form it takes, would you buy one?

Yes!
67%
No!
8%
Undecided
25%

Total votes: 52

Albatross

Mulling over the Mule

Post by Albatross »

This is a continuation of the Mule thread. Let's forget the fixed blade mule for now, and pretend the mule is based on whichever platform seems best(there will be another poll for that one later.), would you buy one?

There will be another poll for which type of knife you would like to see the Mule in. Another for lock type(if folders are chosen). Another for which price range(s) people would be comfortable with.

This will give hard data, which will show an increased demand for mules, or that Spyderco made the right call by axing the Mule Team.
Last edited by Albatross on Fri May 03, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ihped1

Re: Mulling over the Mule

Post by ihped1 »

I thought they were still available.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

There are a few left, but the Mule Team is discontinued.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Hard to answer a straight yes or no to "would I buy one" since there are so many variables

if the mule takes this form...I would...

Locking Folder (Para 3 LW, Native LW, or Manix LW if they can move to screw construction) - I would buy one of each new steel that comes out...this is my preference

Non-locking Folder (UKPK or Urban) - I wouldn't buy (aside from maybe making an exception for Vanax) as I don't care for non-locking folders and don't own any aside from a few SAK that I use mainly for the other tools

Fixed (current style or other fixed) - Probably not going to buy any...never bought any of the original mules
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup! I own quite a few of them and would definitely buy more if they were steels I am interested in.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I'm on the hunt for a Mule,so yes.Of course.Preferably VG10,micarta handles,leather sheath,under 200$.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I have to agree there's a lot of unspoken variables for me to just jump on the bandwagon. I bought the fixed blade mules and would buy more if they kept making them. I bought the steels I wanted to try. I put the knives through their paces and developed my opinion on what I liked. It was a great way to try things no one was offering.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

VashHash wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:11 am
I have to agree there's a lot of unspoken variables for me to just jump on the bandwagon. I bought the fixed blade mules and would buy more if they kept making them. I bought the steels I wanted to try. I put the knives through their paces and developed my opinion on what I liked. It was a great way to try things no one was offering.
The variables will be addressed in future polls. This is for anyone looking for an experimental model.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Simply - Yes.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

spyderwolf wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 am
I'm on the hunt for a Mule,so yes.Of course.Preferably VG10,micarta handles,leather sheath,under 200$.
I think the Mules would need to be as simple as possible to encourage participation (same as the first iteration).

So the micarta, leather, etc would probably not be a great idea.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Just starting to realise what fun I can have learning about different steels with the couple of mules I bought recently, so yes.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No, unless it was based on the Stretch, Chaparral, or Sage 4.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I would love to see the new mule as a 5" fixed blade.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I voted “undecided”, by which I mean, I likely won’t participate.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the mule program was fantastic.

At a reasonable cost, it put many new and adventurous steels in a standardized fixed-blade that many afis liked and judged collectible. And Spyderco got valuable (if incidental) feedback. Then, Spyderco offered these “pre-approved” steels (thanks, beta-testers), along with the other steels it thought good enough for picky us, in folders.

It was for the folders that I came to Spyderco. I had already winnowed my fixed-blades to match my needs (that is, until Lance’s WaterWay came along...).

But why would I buy into folding mules (costing more than FBs), even in a model I like, when I can choose from a wondrous array of Glesser and collab folders, now in a wider range of steels than when the original mule program began?

Even without a renewed mule program, I think Spyderco pretty much knows already how to choose, then optimize a steel to please us. Indeed, has Spyderco ever flubbed these decisions?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Sorry, just realized you said the fixed Mule was out of the question. My stance on a folding Mule is mixed.

If you pick a popular folder then you are just producing sprints/exclusives. I have no animosity towards collectors but they do effect my angle on the hobby. If you chose the Para3LW as the Mule they would just sell out in minutes and quickly become too valuable for me to want to use or even own.

When a knife I like comes out in a steel I like I want to use it. If that model is popular then I am forced to make a decision. I bought an M4 Para2 when they dropped. It was relatively affordable but quickly climbed in value making me question if I wanted to use it or sell it. If it is worth more to someone else than it is to me then I am inclined to sell it and spend my money on a different knife.

I think making a folding mule in a popular folder will just create an ugly situation. They will be food for the flippers or most will just sit unused in boxes. That is not what the Mule program was about. On the other hand, if it is a less popular model and they do not sell like the fixed blade mules apparently didn't then the program just ends.

Not sure what the best option is?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Fixed mule is not out of the question, I just don't want everyone to get stuck on the form right now, since some want a folder and some want a fixed blade. This is just to gauge whether or not people are interested in a mule style knife. Everyone wants something different.

Fixed, slip joint, locking folder, are all going into another poll.

Then the price ranges people are comfortable with. Sal was paying attention to the Mule Team thread, so this is going to give him hard data to evaluate.
bearfacedkiller

I vote UKPK. It gets the steel in more hands that way since it includes folks in areas with strict knife laws. It isn't an overly desirable model so that alleviates my other concerns and it is a great design (basically a Caly3 slipit). It is also made in Golden which is likely a requirement. It would also probably come in at a reasonable price point. Bring it on!
-Darby
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Not sure what the best option is?

Maybe a "mule club" in a similar manner as the collector club?? Basically people have to commit to buying them all (credit card info given up front). This way there is no risk to Spyderco and everyone who wants to participate can since we would all have the opportunity to join. No worry about not getting knives due to scalpers. No worries about them sitting unsold. If a few people "vanish" from the program here and there (credit card invalid...radio silence) i'm sure the few extras would sell quickly at the SFO

Presell memberships for maybe a month or so. If Spyderco cant presell the minimum amount of memberships then the program doesnt move forward. .

I would commit to this if they were a Para 3 LW, Native LW, or Manix LW (with screw construction).
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
fixall

Post by fixall »

I'd likely buy at least one in a steel that interested me...

But for me to continuously purchase them several times a year, it would depend on the platform and pricing.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you for posting this poll. My answer is a definite yes. I should have gotten a Mule of Lc200N stainless steel when available. I would also like to see Spyderco produce more Mules with some other nitrogen-based stainless steel alloys.