Spyderco Unification : Spyderco CQI Military and Spyderco Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AlexRus

Spyderco Unification : Spyderco CQI Military and Spyderco Paramilitary 2

Post by AlexRus »

Hi guys! What's up!

I'm interested if there is kinda unification of the parts between CQI Spyderco Military and Spyderco Paramilitary 2?
It seems like they both have EXACTLY the same lanyard tube, EXACTLY the same scale and clip screws and Exactly the same standoffs (not the stop pins, but just the handle standoffs)
And I mean ABSOLUTELY EXACTLY THE SAME. So you could interchange the lanyard tubes, scale screws, clip screws and standoffs between these two models - CQI Military and Paramilitary 2.

Is it the case? Could someone really confirm that?
🤔
ferider

Re: Spyderco Unification : Spyderco CQI Military and Spyderco Paramilitary 2

Post by ferider »

Unfortunately they are not compatible.

The 2017+ Military scale/liner spacing is just a little wider than the Paramilitary, so stand-offs and lanyard tube are a little longer. Also, while the lanyard tube diameter is the same between the two knives, the Military standoff diameter is larger than the Paramilitary standoff diameter.

The scale screws are the same, however.

Roland.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

That's an interesting question; on a tangential note, I'd LOVE to see a model with the blade length of the Military and the handle size/design of the Paramilitary (or thereabouts). I've always been a huge fan of the PM2 but the added utility of the Millie blade length has been seeming more and more handy to me.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

ferider wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:56 am
Unfortunately they are not compatible.

The 2017+ Military scale/liner spacing is just a little wider than the Paramilitary, so stand-offs and lanyard tube are a little longer. Also, while the lanyard tube diameter is the same between the two knives, the Military standoff diameter is larger than the Paramilitary standoff diameter.

The scale screws are the same, however.

Roland.
I've ordered custom carbon fiber scales for the CQI Spyderco Military s110v and installed it on the Paramilitary 2 custom titanium lanyard tube. Fits perfectly
🤔

ferider

Post by ferider »

AlexRus wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:06 am
I've ordered custom carbon fiber scales for the CQI Spyderco Military s110v and installed it on the Paramilitary 2 custom titanium lanyard tube. Fits perfectly
There is a tiny difference, Alex. I have the reverse: a stock Military lanyard tube in a Paramilitary, and the scales are "spreading" just a tiny bit - hard to notice but there. Funnily enough it makes the PM2 close better (no bounce when dropping the blade).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:01 am
That's an interesting question; on a tangential note, I'd LOVE to see a model with the blade length of the Military and the handle size/design of the Paramilitary (or thereabouts). I've always been a huge fan of the PM2 but the added utility of the Millie blade length has been seeming more and more handy to me.
Sliverax, Caribbean.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

ferider wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am
AlexRus wrote:
There is a tiny difference, Alex. I have the reverse: a stock Military lanyard tube in a Paramilitary, and the scales are "spreading" just a tiny bit - hard to notice but there. Funnily enough it makes the PM2 close better (no bounce when dropping the blade).
What about clip screws? Are they interchangeable?
And the scale screws?
ferider

Post by ferider »

Scale screws are interchangeable, clip screws not sure for G10 Military, I never tried. Fluted Ti Military has unique very short clip screws. When using clip-screws on the Military you have to be careful not to hit the washer. Best is to try when the knife is disassembled.

See also viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83648.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The standoffs are indeed interchangeable. I purchased custom standoffs for the CQI’d Militaries and those standoffs also work identically for the PM2 and Para 3. Lanyard tubes are also exactly the same. The recent CQI of the Military did indeed unify most of the hardware in that family. Hope that helps, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ferider

Post by ferider »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:27 am
The standoffs are indeed interchangeable. I purchased custom standoffs for the CQI’d Militaries and those standoffs also work identically for the PM2 and Para 3. Lanyard tubes are also exactly the same. The recent CQI of the Military did indeed unify most of the hardware in that family. Hope that helps, Radioactive :)
Again, the stock standoffs and tubes are different size and you are bending your scales and liners by interchanging them - doesn't mean the knife becomes unusable. Anyways, you guys carry on, enough for me on the subject.
RadioactiveSpyder

Not sure what you’re talking about, there’s absolutely no bending of scales or liners. I’m a CC member with hundreds of Spydies, and over six years of modding them. But whatever, “carry on” and believe whatever you want.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:55 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:01 am
Sliverax, Caribbean.
Really? That's interesting; the Sliverax has always seemed very cool to me. Do you have one? If so, could you give me a little "mini-review"?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

AlexRus wrote:

Thems are some purty scales you got there :cool:
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Could you please share the link for custom standoffs for the CQI Military?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sorry didn't mean to derail this thread..moved my post.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

AlexRus wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:32 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sure thing! Here you go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-Black-St ... 4147924916

They’re not exactly what I wanted style-wise, but they work well. I’d love to have MXG Gear update theirs to fit the T8 Torx screws of the CQI Millie though, I really prefer the look of those. I have installed the ones I linked to on my DLC Military, PM2 and Para 3s - and I’ll say again, they fit with zero issues.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:58 pm
AlexRus wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:32 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sure thing! Here you go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-Black-St ... 4147924916

They’re not exactly what I wanted style-wise, but they work well. I’d love to have MXG Gear update theirs to fit the T8 Torx screws of the CQI Millie though, I really prefer the look of those. I have installed the ones I linked to on my DLC Military, PM2 and Para 3s - and I’ll say again, they fit with zero issues.
Thank you!
I was monitoring MXG Gear stock update too for the same reason - CQI Millies standoffs. No luck yet)
And maybe this guy from Australia will make something for the newer Millies. https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=& ... 2&_sacat=0
I've ordered a couple of titanium lanyard tubes from him:
The blue one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Param ... SwfPlbuilt
And the bronze one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Param ... SwTEZcK5JZ
Haven't received them so far, so can't say anything yet.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

measured with a vernier or micrometer?