My GoldenStone came in

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

My GoldenStone came in

Post by ZMW »

And I can see why people really like this design. I am about to go mess around with it now on my Pac Salt. I am leaving it in the kitchen for quick tough ups on Kitchen knifes. Love the design! Way to use your brains Sal and Co, seriously, very creative design!
sal

Re: My GoldenStone came in

Post by sal »

Thanx much ZMW. It's been a labor of passion. Still more to come.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:36 pm
Thanx much ZMW. It's been a labor of passion. Still more to come.

sal
"STILL MORE TO COME" Hey I hope that mean's the GOLDENSTONE in more grit selections?? I've been on the move the past 3 weeks and I've been taking mine with me. It is very handy for quick touch-ups. Again looking forward to this tool in more grits.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

More grits and the 15 degree base!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:46 pm
More grits and the 15 degree base!
GOOD NEWS>> because I've heard that a base with more angles is in the works for the GOLDENSTONE. OH yes I most definitely want one of those my own self.

Also if they ever do bring back the 701 Profiles I'm hoping that they will make a base for those as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I initially wanted a more coarse grit but it seems to me the grit is already more coarse than the brown rods. I assumed being white it would be more like the fine rods.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:33 pm
I initially wanted a more coarse grit but it seems to me the grit is already more coarse than the brown rods. I assumed being white it would be more like the fine rods.
I have assumed the same thing! So it’s somewhere between the medium and fine sharpmaker rods? With a cbn duckfoot I spose I could get by. I’ve been relying on my ds2 lately to maintain edges in the office and field, and it works like a champ.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:46 am
Evil D wrote:
I have assumed the same thing! So it’s somewhere between the medium and fine sharpmaker rods? With a cbn duckfoot I spose I could get by. I’ve been relying on my ds2 lately to maintain edges in the office and field, and it works like a champ.
Unless it breaks in to a point where it's less aggressive, the edge I get is more coarse than I get off my brown rods. The scratch pattern is visibly rougher coming off the Goldenstone.
~David
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

I'm a week in with my GS and I love it more than I ever did my Sharpmaker (which I LOVE). I did also figure being "white" it wold be equivalent to the white Sharpmaker rods. For me personally, the GS is the golden mean for sharpening. I've got my EDC red Roadie perfect, touched up a beater Kershaw, and sharpened our families never ending stream of SAK classics. I am glad I took the plunge on the GS.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That sounds fantastic BFK! Looks like I’ll need one.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am very excited about this. Then here is my question to sal and all of you who have used the Golden Stone. Is this a sharpening tool that an inexperienced knife-sharpener like myself (who does not own a Sharp Maker and who is only somewhat familiar with using those horrible pull-through knife sharpeners and traditional flat sharpening stones and steel rods) can use to put a sharp edge on my folders and fixed blades, both plain and serrated edge, such as the Endura, Cara Cara 2, and Pacific Salt Serrated Edge, without needing alot of sharpening knowledge? Also, could this be THE only sharpening tool I need, perhaps coupled with some sandpaper to finish off any burrs or scratches?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Just finished all our kitchen’s Henckels and Wusthofs with my 20dps Goldenstone, having already prepped them old-school on a Norton combo “coarse” silicon-carbide/“fine” aluminum-oxide benchstone.

I hope Sal leans in on variation in the white stuff’s grit. Could the variation be accounted for by different usages (heavy on the SM/rare on the GS) or different production lots?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:09 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:46 am
Evil D wrote:
Unless it breaks in to a point where it's less aggressive, the edge I get is more coarse than I get off my brown rods. The scratch pattern is visibly rougher coming off the Goldenstone.
That's really interesting EVIL D because you're not the only one I've heard testify that the GOLDENSTONE which is rated as a FINE grit by Spyderco themselves. I will say that I do find my GOLDENSTONE just a tad bit more gritty than my other Fine Spyderco Stones and I own all of them with the exception of that really big Ultra-Fine stone. But mine is nowhere near the abrasive grit as the Spyderco Medium/Gray stone

It really interests me because I've even only ever heard of one complaint that some of the Ultra-Fine stones are more gritty than they should be. And it baffles me because I'm certain that Spyderco's quality control is very rigid. It really makes me wonder what the problem might be??? :confused:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:26 am
I am very excited about this. Then here is my question to sal and all of you who have used the Golden Stone. Is this a sharpening tool that an inexperienced knife-sharpener like myself (who does not own a Sharp Maker and who is only somewhat familiar with using those horrible pull-through knife sharpeners and traditional flat sharpening stones and steel rods) can use to put a sharp edge on my folders and fixed blades, both plain and serrated edge, such as the Endura, Cara Cara 2, and Pacific Salt Serrated Edge, without needing alot of sharpening knowledge? Also, could this be THE only sharpening tool I need, perhaps coupled with some sandpaper to finish off any burrs or scratches?
Well SEF I'm about 99% certain you would have no problems at all with using the GOLDENSTONE. Because in many ways it's far more elementary than the 204 Sharpmaker. You would love it if you were to get one. You could conceivably get by with a really good quality "Coarse" diamond benchstone to do any necessary reprofiling and then finish up with the GOLDENSTONE. I've actually done that a couple of times with surprising results.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:09 pm

It really interests me because I've even only ever heard of one complaint that some of the Ultra-Fine stones are more gritty than they should be. And it baffles me because I'm certain that Spyderco's quality control is very rigid. It really makes me wonder what the problem might be??? :confused:

While I would like an ultra fine grit option, the fact that it seems more coarse than "advertised" is good news for me, as I wanted a portable stone that could repair edge damage on serrations and so far it seems like it will work well for that.
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If I use the Golden Stone to sharpen VG10 blades, and I mistakenly leave some scratches, what would be the best way to remove them by hand? What materials should I use if that happens?