Para 3 lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Para 3 lightweight

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Well lets put it this way I love the PE version and the steel so much I am about ready to pull the trigger on the SE version. Everything about this design is phenomenal, Hint the Steel will become super sharp if you start with Brown Rods then go to fine and it is so easy to sharpen hair popping sharp then if you have them you can go to the ultra fine white rods and this incredible steel benefits from them more than any other steel I have honed on the UF rods.

This is a straight up winner.
attila

Post by attila »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:26 pm
attila wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:58 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:47 pm

https://i.imgur.com/n13mdLQ.jpg

Para 3 LW Clip on the left - Lil Native Clip on the Right
It looks like your Lil Native is chisel ground. Would you mind elaborating about that strange looking tip?

Thanks!
Yep, you're right, it is chisel ground! :D It's actually the serrated edge model, so it's still chisel ground along the whole edge.
Very cool! I didn't know that was a thing on non-Salt Spydies. Thanks.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Rtal

Post by Rtal »

Pretty certain I am not the first to fawn all over this one, but received mine yesterday and I would take it over any other Para 3 just because somebody finally put the lanyard hole out of the way (know few Spydie fans who actually use a lanyard) and mounted the clip where I feel it should have been on many recent releases. I was beginning to think every recent release should come with a disclaimer that a deep carry pocket clip will probably be required at an additional cost. Lol. Don’t get me wrong, I am an avid Spyderco fan, but scratch my head how they can get the clip placement so right (Sage, UKPK, etc) part of the time, then give us the Brouwer and standard G10 Para 3 (fine knives, but horrible clip placement).
Try to out love, out serve and out forgive.
My EDC rotation: Urban Elmax, Lil Native backlock, FRN Chaparral
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

You guys are terrible enablers! I just pulled the trigger on 1 of these from KC. A mother's day gift for my wife. Hope she likes it. I think it's pretty cool.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:34 am
elena86 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 am
One question for those who own both : is it ground thinner behind the edge than the G10 variant ?
I doubt it but I'll try to measure mine tonight
I measured the P3LW vs the P3 M390 & P3 Rex 45. Directly under the Spydie logo with the tip of the calipers right on the shoulder I got .0215 on each.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Got mine today and it’s smoother than any of my para 2s out of the box. Oooooooh man is it light and slicey! It’s kicking my delicas out of rotation for a few weeks for sure.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:26 am
For those of you who have not seen it check out the latest Spyderco Byte. There is a great article on the Para 3 lightweight and injection molded technology and handles as well. Well worth the read. You can get it on the Spyderco website.

https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-by ... d21d6eedc8
Thanks for posting this, MichaelScott. I was just about to do the same thing, but see that you beat me to the punch! :)

I got it at 6:32 AM Central time this morning, and read it with my third cup of coffee. I had some questions earlier in this thread, about the reasoning behind picking FRN for this one, instead of FRCP. After reading the Spyderco byte. I got most of my earlier questions answered. It was like Sal was answering my questions, there in the Newsletter. Thank you Sal. :)

I think, and Sal can correct me here if I'm wrong. One of the main reasons for FRCP, especially on the Manix 2. Was that it could be used to get a transparent or translucence, to highlight its internal mechanism. Which is not necessary here on this Para 3 LW, nor desired. Plus, it's a little less expensive.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:35 pm

I got it at 6:32 AM Central time this morning, and read it with my third cup of coffee.
Same here lol, was at my local Diner at 8 Eastern and reading the article with my Morning coffee.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Double Post, Apologies
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aquaman67 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:22 am
aquaman67 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:22 pm
That´s interesting! May I ask: What is your hand- / glove size?

I got rid of my Native, exactly because I did not like that I HAD to use the choil to get a four finger grip, while the handle itself in length COULD have offered enough space for that (a four finger grip) if it would have been shaped differently.

If now the Para 3 offers a good four finger grip also behind the choil, that would be a good thing.. (though I still wouldn´t buy one I guess, just since I have not much need for small knives and the little I have is covered by my Delica, Chap and BM Minigriptillian.)
I wear xl or size 11 gloves. I would say I have average size hands.

Since you have a Delica, the Para 3 handle is the same length. Whatever grip you can get on a Delica will be the same on s Para 3 without using the choil.
Thanks for your reply! But to be honest: I can't believe thar the Para 3 offers the same length of usable grip area behind its choil as the Delica grip does:

I have a PM2 and a Delica, the Delica clearly offers MORE usable grip area in length than the PM2 (behind the choil).

So, since the Para 3 is smaller than the PM2, how could it ever offer the same amount of usable grip area (not choked up) as a Delica, when even the PM2 does not?!

To be clear:
On PM2 and Para 3 the usable grip area is between the front guard and "rear guard" (=the "hook" at the rear end of the handle).
On the Delica you can comfortably use the whole length of the handle.

So I strongly figure that the Para 3 only offers a 3 or 3.5 finger grip behind the coil for XL hands... but, admittedly, I never handled one.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

How does the lightweight feel clipped? Is it abrasive on pocket material when clipping and removing it from the pocket?

Jim
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Not abrasive at all can be carried in business casual slacks without fear of abrading the pocket material far smoother than G-10 the clip contacts a smooth disk on the handle with the spydie :spyder: logo.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I must say, I'm a bit more impressed with this knife than I planned to be. Having had 6 different versions of the G10 Para 3's pass through my hands, I was excited and skeptical about this one.

As others have said, action right out of the box is phenomenal! This is the first Spyderco I didn't need to make even the slightest adjustment or tweak to get it to where I like it.

The handles....still on the fence. Those contoured edges are great, feel really nice and a bit more slim in hand than the G10 versions. It's grippy, but feels like it could also be a bit slick when wet. I would prefer G10, but for the price of this knife... it's well worth it saving that $40+

I'm going to be working in the yard tomorrow, barring weather and plan on using this and my Manix 2 in BD1 and see if I can distinguish some differences in use and touching up afterwards.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

This knife is crying out for a factory "regrind." With the lightweight scales and hardly any liners, it makes even LESS sense to have a knife this length with a 4mm thick blade. What prying are you going to be doing with a knife that light in the frame?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:02 am
aquaman67 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
aquaman67 wrote:

I got rid of my Native, exactly because I did not like that I HAD to use the choil to get a four finger grip, while the handle itself in length COULD have offered enough space for that (a four finger grip) if it would have been shaped differently.

If now the Para 3 offers a good four finger grip also behind the choil, that would be a good thing.. (though I still wouldn´t buy one I guess, just since I have not much need for small knives and the little I have is covered by my Delica, Chap and BM Minigriptillian.)

Since you have a Delica, the Para 3 handle is the same length. Whatever grip you can get on a Delica will be the same on s Para 3 without using the choil.
Thanks for your reply! But to be honest: I can't believe thar the Para 3 offers the same length of usable grip area behind its choil as the Delica grip does:

I have a PM2 and a Delica, the Delica clearly offers MORE usable grip area in length than the PM2 (behind the choil).

So, since the Para 3 is smaller than the PM2, how could it ever offer the same amount of usable grip area (not choked up) as a Delica, when even the PM2 does not?!

To be clear:
On PM2 and Para 3 the usable grip area is between the front guard and "rear guard" (=the "hook" at the rear end of the handle).

So I strongly figure that the Para 3 only offers a 3 or 3.5 finger grip behind the coil for XL hands... but, admittedly, I never handled one.
For my XL-XXL hands there is no way I could get a four finger grip behind the choil. I didn't find this knife comfortable even with the choil, and like you I won't spend my money on a knife that forces me to use the index choil for a full grip.

The Para 2 barely gave my hand enough space behind the index choil so this was exactly what I expected. I knew from the get go this design wouldn't be for me.

I'm happy to see the lightweight taking of well either way. I'm hoping this helps increase the chances we see more lightweight models down the road......like a Manix XL :D
:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

If they Make a Manix XL IN LW with he same attention to quality this Para3 received I will buy one and would like it in BD1N as well.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

Wartstein wrote:
aquaman67 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
aquaman67 wrote:

To be clear:

I’m comfortable calling this a four finger grip
Last edited by aquaman67 on Wed May 01, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

dj moonbat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:51 pm
This knife is crying out for a factory "regrind." With the lightweight scales and hardly any liners, it makes even LESS sense to have a knife this length with a 4mm thick blade. What prying are you going to be doing with a knife that light in the frame?
I received my Para 3 LW today and am really happy with it. The action is perfectly smooth and drops freely when pressing the compression lock. It really seems like a Delica killer. Though I was also struck by the blade thickness. The Delica is 2.5mm, the Para 3 LW is 3.7mm. Would love a Para 3 LW with a 2.5mm or 3.0mm blade. Doubt it will happen, unfortunately. Still a great knife though! Other than the blade thickness, it's better than the Delica in every way (for me).
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Funny you guys mention the thickness of the blade, when I picked mine up today I was carrying my HH UKPK. When comparing them, I wished the Para 3 had the blade stock of the UKPK...as well as that slightly longer blade, though shorter overall knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

aquaman67 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:23 pm
Wartstein wrote:
aquaman67 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

To be clear:

I’m comfortable calling this a four finger grip
That grips looks uncomfortable. Do you ever use it?
:unicorn