K390 Caly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shaztec

Re: K390 Caly?

Post by shaztec »

I'd be in for one of these for sure
shaztecs_knives on instagram
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:58 pm
I’d love an FRN K390 Caly, so long as the FRN is lined to prevent the pivot-screw assembly from spinning.
Yes, it needs nested skeletonized liners, for certain.

The Caly is a very sophisticated design, in my opinion. It is better than the Delica (in most ways) and better than the Native. I love that giant pivot. The lock seems to be a bit shallow, but that might only be appearance. Still, it is a superb performer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:05 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:58 pm
I’d love an FRN K390 Caly, so long as the FRN is lined to prevent the pivot-screw assembly from spinning.
Yes, it needs nested skeletonized liners, for certain.

The Caly is a very sophisticated design, in my opinion. It is better than the Delica (in most ways) and better than the Native. I love that giant pivot. The lock seems to be a bit shallow, but that might only be appearance. Still, it is a superb performer.
I could not agree more, especially since I recently added sprints of the original Calypso and Calypso Jr. to my Caly 3.5, two UKPKs, and Dragonfly.

In reminding myself of the value of the UKPK’s length (and thus the appeal of a Caly 3.0, especially in K390), I noticed my G10 UKPK is unlined.

While I would prefer a lined FRN version, I’d take an unlined version of a K390 Caly 3.0 if the pivot-screw assembly has opposing Torx-head screws like the UKPK’s, and, for that matter, all the sturdy FRN Salts.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
cesma

Post by cesma »

Hope to see and eventually to buy, a caly 3.5 with a not pinned handles........micarta if it possible but g10 it's ok too....my k390 police it's a good knife.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

cesma wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:12 pm
Hope to see and eventually to buy, a caly 3.5 with a not pinned handles........micarta if it possible but g10 it's ok too....my k390 police it's a good knife.
I think the only knife of the Caly family with pins is the Calypso Jr. Someone, please correct me if I’m wrong.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm
cesma wrote:
I think the only knife of the Caly family with pins is the Calypso Jr. Someone, please correct me if I’m wrong.
Almost all of the Caly family are pinned handles, though many do have the torx pivot.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

xceptnl wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:18 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm
cesma wrote:
Almost all of the Caly family are pinned handles, though many do have the torx pivot.
Doh! I should have been clearer. I was speaking of pinned pivots.

thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Any news on K390 Caly 3.5 LW? :D
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
archangel

Post by archangel »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:44 pm
In addition to the Urban and ATR mentioned by RS, these models also had two-country production:
Renegade and Blackhawk: Golden and Seki City
Herbst: Germany and Golden
Walker: Switzerland and Seki City
Native: Golden and Seki City (Gen 4)

( next lull I'll dig into the cerebral crypts looking for others)

Caly 3.5 in K390? Sweet

Spyderco had knives produced in Germany?? Where can I learn about them?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I vote for a Caly 3 as opposed to a 3.5.

I prefer smaller knives.

And I love the Lightweight versions.

I have 2 Native 5s, the Chaparral and the Para3 in Lightweight.
Last edited by aquaman67 on Wed May 01, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sal

Post by sal »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:42 am
Hey Woodpecker,

It's in-the-works. We're creating tooling. Once it's nailed down and ok, we'll consider steels. It's screw construction.

Hi Aquaman,

Once the 3.5 is in production, we'll consider your request.

sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I missed out on the Last batch of caly 3.5s in super blue but I would have a hard time passing on K390. Still want a K390 military.
mayong

Post by mayong »

sal wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:05 pm

It's in-the-works. We're creating tooling. Once it's nailed down and ok, we'll consider steels. It's screw construction.

sal

This just made my day. These details, and that the cogs are turning in Golden.

Do we know yet if all Caly 3.5 LWs be Golden-made? I hope so, and that this eliminates the slight vertical blade play of the Seki-made Calys.
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

sal wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:05 pm
thewoodpecker wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:42 am
Hey Woodpecker,

Hi Aquaman,

Once the 3.5 is in production, we'll consider your request.

sal
Thanks Sal! Any info on where it will be produced? Here's hoping K390 makes it to first production. :D
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

LW caly 3.5 sounds awesome, LW caly 3.5 in k390 sounds incredible. I want one of the new LWs bad, but I'm kind of out of my para 3 phase for now. Was just thinking about a Sage, but a 3.5 Caly sounds like the ticket.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Semi or golden? That’s the big question it seems.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Baron Mind wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:41 am
LW caly 3.5 sounds awesome, LW caly 3.5 in k390 sounds incredible. I want one of the new LWs bad, but I'm kind of out of my para 3 phase for now. Was just thinking about a Sage, but a 3.5 Caly sounds like the ticket.
For me, the Caly is a nicer, sleeker, more elegant design than the Sage. But that's me. It is not as tall, it is slim, and strong. I cannot wait.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:12 am
Baron Mind wrote:
For me, the Caly is a nicer, sleeker, more elegant design than the Sage. But that's me. It is not as tall, it is slim, and strong. I cannot wait.
For me, the Chaparral beats both of them.

I do like the design of the Caly more than the Sage, but in my experiences with both I've had much better fit and finish on my Sages.

If I had to rank the designs it would be Chap -> Caly -> Sage. For build quality, fit and finish, I'd say Chap = Sage -> Caly.

I think that's one of the reasons I like the UKPK so much. It's like a Caly but with better fit and finish. In general, I've personally seen better workmanship in the Golden models than the Seki models. And, although it's not politically correct to say so, I've seen better workmanship still in Taichung models.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:17 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:12 am
Baron Mind wrote:
For me, the Chaparral beats both of them.

I do like the design of the Caly more than the Sage, but in my experiences with both I've had much better fit and finish on my Sages.

If I had to rank the designs it would be Chap -> Caly -> Sage. For build quality, fit and finish, I'd say Chap = Sage -> Caly.

I think that's one of the reasons I like the UKPK so much. It's like a Caly but with better fit and finish. In general, I've personally seen better workmanship in the Golden models than the Seki models. And, although it's not politically correct to say so, I've seen better workmanship still in Taichung models.
I have heard that many Seki models have gone down hill in quality. My Caly3 is, thankfully, spot on in fit and finish. I did not buy a 3.5 because of the complaints that arose later. My first Chaparral (first of the XHP run CF) needed some work in the finishing department, which I did. My next one was perfect from a later date. I do agree that Golden is turning out some really good work, and I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I think they rival or better Taichung.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050