New Tenacious - Help Needed with Loosening the Pivot Screw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DCJ

New Tenacious - Help Needed with Loosening the Pivot Screw

Post by DCJ »

I have a new Tenacious, and when I switched the clip, the clip screws had red thread-locker on them. (I guess the factory didn't get the recent warranty memo....) No problem getting them off. Pivot screw is another matter. It seems from reading various posts is that heat plus firm pressure on the screw (and a good bit) is the way to go, or a few decent (but not too hard) mallet strikes on the bit. For heat, the Loctite website says that red thread-locker loosens at 500 degrees, which is pretty high. If I use a soldering iron, how much heat is actually needed?

Is there a preferred method, and anything in particular I need to know about the Tenacious?

Many thanks in advance.
Extra330SC

Re: New Tenacious - Help Needed with Loosening the Pivot Screw

Post by Extra330SC »

DCJ wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:59 am
I have a new Tenacious, and when I switched the clip, the clip screws had red thread-locker on them. (I guess the factory didn't get the recent warranty memo....) No problem getting them off. Pivot screw is another matter. It seems from reading various posts is that heat plus firm pressure on the screw (and a good bit) is the way to go, or a few decent (but not too hard) mallet strikes on the bit. For heat, the Loctite website says that red thread-locker loosens at 500 degrees, which is pretty high. If I use a soldering iron, how much heat is actually needed?

Is there a preferred method, and anything in particular I need to know about the Tenacious?

Many thanks in advance.
Just pulled a CS exclusive Orange Tenacious out of the mail tonight. LIke yours the clip was easily changed but the pivot was tight!

I use a med-fine tip on the soldering iron (so it only touches the metal screw) and leave it on the metal until I can feel the other side of the pivot getting warm. Make sure you use a quality Torx driver like Whia! I've done this many times and have always gotten it to come loose without any screw or G10 damage.

Good luck and enjoy your new knife!

James
DCJ

Post by DCJ »

James - Thanks for the confirmation. I guess time to order a soldering iron...
DCJ

Post by DCJ »

Extra330SC wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:28 pm
DCJ wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:59 am

Many thanks in advance.
Just pulled a CS exclusive Orange Tenacious out of the mail tonight. LIke yours the clip was easily changed but the pivot was tight!

I use a med-fine tip on the soldering iron (so it only touches the metal screw) and leave it on the metal until I can feel the other side of the pivot getting warm. Make sure you use a quality Torx driver like Whia! I've done this many times and have always gotten it to come loose without any screw or G10 damage.

Good luck and enjoy your new knife!

James
Used this as an excuse to get a soldering iron, and this method worked like a charm. I needed to wait for the female side of the pivot screw to get warm, but once I did, the pivot screw came out smoothly. Thank you.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Well... the characteristics of Loctite are not as simple as that. If you dig deeper into the specifications, you'll find that there is not a tight/loose event that occurs between 499 degrees and 501 degrees. It's more of a linear softening of the thread-locker.

If I need to heat a fastener, I'm typically averse to a flame or iron that operates at a temperature that can damage what I'm working on. And make no mistake, a 650 degree soldering iron can hurt your knife. Oftentimes a heat gun will suffice. But a heat gun can get pretty darned hot, too. Generally, I'll just use a hair dryer, gently heating the whole area. Loctite heated to 200 degrees will be significantly softer than when at room temperature.

As you noted, a new or properly ground tool bit is critical.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

When the tap, press firmly and twist didn’t work, I use soldering iron on the Cara Cara 2 Stainless handle clip screws, but still cannot. Put it on them for a long time, no joy.
Tenacious should be from different maker, so I cannot comment. Just saying soldering iron doesn’t always work.

viewtopic.php?t=81412
Chris :spyder: