Am I paranoid about counterfeits?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AH2525

Am I paranoid about counterfeits?

Post by AH2525 »

Just purchased a Goldenstone from Amazon (super excited) it just arrived and the only "packaging" is the stone in its leather pouch inside a plastic baggie with a bar code. Is this correct? Should it be in a "blister pack"? Or am I just unnecessarily worried about fakes?

Thanks!
SG89

Re: Am I paranoid about counterfeits?

Post by SG89 »

That packaging is the same as mine
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

Update - It is LEGIT. Just took my EDC red roadie and did 10 passes on each side and went to (clumsily) close the roadie and it caught my fingertip SHAVING off a chunk of the tip.

Thank you Sal and Spydercrew. I've looked at the golden stone for a while and finally took the plunge. The simplicity is so amazing. For helpful info, I abuse this little roadie and it has not been sharpened in a long while. I had it in my pocket when I opened the package from Amazon so figured i would try it out. The Golden Stone with 10 passes per side has this little thing perfect as my throbbing fingertip can attest.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I don't remember exactly how mine was packaged, but that sounds about right. I do recall thinking at the time that the packaging was very minimal.

The Golden Stone is a great maintenance tool for quick touch-ups! I'm able to keep most of my knives very sharp with only a few passes here and there. You're right, there's definitely something to be said for simplicity!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:22 am
I don't remember exactly how mine was packaged, but that sounds about right. I do recall thinking at the time that the packaging was very minimal.

The Golden Stone is a great maintenance tool for quick touch-ups! I'm able to keep most of my knives very sharp with only a few passes here and there. You're right, there's definitely something to be said for simplicity!
Yeah the GOLDENSTONE is becoming one of my Favorite sharpening tools to experiment with. I just hope they soon expand the selection of grits that you can get it in. I doubt anyone ever counterfeits the GOLDENSTONE because it doesn't appear to be a big box office smash hit like the 204 Sharpmaker is>> and on the big stage I still find very few in the general public who are even aware of the Sharpmaker.

But because of "Counterfeit" Spyders becoming more prevalent I'm getting extremely picky about trading or buying from individuals anymore. They've got to be well known here at Spyderville or over a Bladeforums with a really good rating. I think the US Government should come down hard on any counterfeiter. This is a problem that is widespread and our knife hobby is just a really little microcosm of what's going on the big business world. That's why I hardly buy anything online anymore at all unless it's a super reputable dealer like New Graham or a small handful of others.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

^ agreed. I will only buy from reputable online dealers now, due to some of the horror stories I've read about on this forum.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:48 am
DSH007 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:22 am

Yeah the GOLDENSTONE is becoming one of my Favorite sharpening tools to experiment with. I just hope they soon expand the selection of grits that you can get it in. I doubt anyone ever counterfeits the GOLDENSTONE because it doesn't appear to be a big box office smash hit like the 204 Sharpmaker is>> and on the big stage I still find very few in the general public who are even aware of the Sharpmaker.

But because of "Counterfeit" Spyders becoming more prevalent I'm getting extremely picky about trading or buying from individuals anymore. They've got to be well known here at Spyderville or over a Bladeforums with a really good rating. I think the US Government should come down hard on any counterfeiter. This is a problem that is widespread and our knife hobby is just a really little microcosm of what's going on the big business world. That's why I hardly buy anything online anymore at all unless it's a super reputable dealer like New Graham or a small handful of others.
That's a great perspective on the GS likely not being counterfeited. I think in my excitement I was just skeptical and I know folks who have been ripped off even through Amazon. All that out of the way I am loving my GS. I also agree that I would love to see one in CBN or diamond like grit. My main goal with the GS is to be able to do quick touch ups and honing of my blades to keep them in good shape rather than waiting till they are way out of whack and having to do an in-depth resharpening.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Amazon and counterfeits -- all I can say is that I have never had any trouble whatsoever returning an item to Amazon (and have had to return two knives). But just to avoid the hassle, I now buy knives from the usual gang of reputable dealers. There is less risk (I think) of counterfeit sharpening gear on Amazon - but what do I know?

The Goldenstone itself is 'the bomb'. I keep mine in my desk drawer and can have it out in seconds and touch up a knife quickly and easily. I have been stunned by how quickly I can improve an edge. A really great and clever item.
NicoColt1911

Post by NicoColt1911 »

A Böker employee recently confirmed that Amazon's warehouse just stocks all items together regardless if they are Amazon's stock or that of dealer a or dealer b. Even when you order from dealer a you might end up with a knife from Amazon or a knife from dealer b. As long as everybody sells legit knives it doesn't matter but as soon as a dealer adds fake knives to the stock people that buy from a legit dealer might end up with a fake knife even though their dealer has nothing to do with it.

So IMO one shouldn't buy knives at Amazon if possible.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you buy from Amazon a lot you probably should have a healthy amount of paranoia. Even if you find a reputable seller on there, there's no guarantee you won't buy something that some loser didn't return used or swap out with a fake. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon but the only knives I ever get from them are Higo's because apparently the one vendor on there is the only legit maker left.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I have bought a couple of Higonokami folders and some Victorinox on Amazon and I haven’t gotten a fake yet. However I wouldn’t buy a Spyderco knife there. It just seems too risky. I know they have a generous return policy but it would be better if they stomped on the counterfeiters in their marketplace. If you want a traditional Japanese friction folder though you should go for it.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: