Byrd Hawkbill

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Cowboyfromhell

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby Cowboyfromhell » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:07 am

I am impressed by the quality if the BYRD knives. I gifted 2 robin2 to my wife and daughter and they love them too! I actually had to have one too so I ordered a hawkbill serrated! These are the best bang for the buck knives I have ever seen. Honestly I think I like the Robyn2 better than my DFLY2 which is 3x the price!!!!

SpyderEdgeForever

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:13 am

Cowboy, welcome to the forum and yes the Byrd Knives are great aren't they? The Hawkbill cuts like a chainsaw. I have heard that fishermen and fisherwomen use them on boats and when fishing from land.

steelcity16

Postby steelcity16 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:06 am

Got my first ever Byrd in the mail today. The Hawkbill. Great value for a Spyderedge Hawk. Can't wait to put it to use!

How about a Spyderhawk sized Byrd???????? THAT would be amazing! My Spyderhawk is the only knife I have a backup of. I would love to see the H1 SE Spyderhawk as a production knife, but a budget friendly Byrd version would be nice as well for a great beater yard knife.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

nugi

Postby nugi » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:09 pm

Just received a Byrd hawkbill and everything about it is great except for one thing - the point stops on the plastic back ever so slightly. The point appears to rest maybe a hair’s breadth above the back (I actually can’t tell if it’s touching or not) but it definitely makes contact upon closing the knife. Should I send it back or is this just Byrd? Otherwise the knife is impressive but I’m not sure if it will be able to maintain a point
Wire clip me. Wire clip now. Me a wire clip needing a lot now.

nugi

Postby nugi » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 am

I scraped some plastic away inside the handle, no more contact!
Wire clip me. Wire clip now. Me a wire clip needing a lot now.

defenestrate

Postby defenestrate » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:24 am

I would definitely be interested in a byrd equivalent of the spyderhawk. Hawkbills don't always sell well but some of us would definitely like it. IIRC the crossbill is very close to Spyderhawk size - wouldn't mind a serrated option on that, even as a sprint or similar.

I really like the hawkbill. I dig the choil even though it takes a little length off the edge. Very much like a more affordable tasman/merlin.

crazywednesday

Postby crazywednesday » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:12 pm

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:06 am
Got my first ever Byrd in the mail today. The Hawkbill. Great value for a Spyderedge Hawk. Can't wait to put it to use!

How about a Spyderhawk sized Byrd???????? THAT would be amazing! My Spyderhawk is the only knife I have a backup of. I would love to see the H1 SE Spyderhawk as a production knife, but a budget friendly Byrd version would be nice as well for a great beater yard knife.
How are you liking your Byrd hawkbill? Isn't it easy to sharpen? Do you love the shallow serrations? For me it's the perfect size. I would love to see a golden version of this.
Justin

defenestrate

Postby defenestrate » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:15 pm

It's very close to the same size as the tasman, with a little less cutting edge due to the choil. I like the choil and the shallower serrations are less likely to hang up, but the tasman will tear a bit more. Both are fine choices.

Return to “byrd Knife General Discussion”